Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me, the solution to an absent rear brake is a hybrid solution.
1. Did the recall repair to the cylinder rebuild
2. Replaced the OEM pads with sintered pads
800 miles later, and in 95 degree weather, the brakes actually feel good. No fade, no increased pedal motion. In fact coming to a stop, the brake works well and can be felt.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
I had both of those performed on mine. When I got one my bike, I was immediately surprised by the rear brake. I had forgotten what they are supposed to feel like. I wish I could say that it is a permanent fix. For me at least, after 2k miles, I started having a bit of dead travel in the lever again. It got significantly worse after each "spirited" ride with lots of revs and lots of heavy braking. Nothing like before, but dead travel has been increasing. Sadly, I think the answer is to bleed the brakes every time they get to an intolerable level. If the TSBs are a permanent solution for you, congrats! Also, I'm jealous!

·
Registered
750 Posts
FWIW, there's a new bleed process that Ducati recommends that is supposed to be what gets us a rear brake that doesn't continually get weaker. Something about removing the rear caliper and turning it "upside down" (which is actually right side up) so the bleed valve is the highest point in the system, then do the bleed. According to my shop, this has been working for all of their customers. I don't have enough time on the new bleed to know for sure, but it sounds plausible.....

-SM

·
Registered
56 Posts
They just did mine, put smaller lines on and smaller pistoned master cylinder. Forgot to ask if anything done to caliper and slave cylinder but awesome feel. Will now see if it lasts!

Also they replaced starter/ stop switch and new fuel gauge sender. Hopefully last of the warranty work. Can't complain otherwise - has done over 10000km in 5 months and even with above niggles has never failed to get me there even when a gas/fuel station gave me 30% water mixture in my fuel!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
...removing the rear caliper and turning it "upside down" (which is actually right side up) so the bleed valve is the highest point in the system, then do the bleed.

-SM
I tried this method last season, as it seemed both logical and necessary.
Good results, but within 2000km, it needed doing again. AND it takes overnight for any bubbles to migrate up to the nipple.
Italian engineers, like their wimmen, KNOW how to be a PITA...
Who the heck specs an "upside-down" caliper?

·
Registered
373 Posts
I fixed the rear brake by replacing it with a Brembo Supersport caliper... ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
For me, the solution to an absent rear brake is a hybrid solution.
1. Did the recall repair to the cylinder rebuild
2. Replaced the OEM pads with sintered pads
800 miles later, and in 95 degree weather, the brakes actually feel good. No fade, no increased pedal motion. In fact coming to a stop, the brake works well and can be felt.
Are the sintered HH? I picked up the HH sintered (yet to be installed) as part of my rear brake improvement project. I've got a good 'un but could be well improved.
Roasted it chasing Kwizikle in May ;-)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Kwizikle....what was the problem with your fuel gauge system? Did a new tank sender unit fix it? Thanks

·
Registered
472 Posts
FWIW, there's a new bleed process that Ducati recommends that is supposed to be what gets us a rear brake that doesn't continually get weaker. Something about removing the rear caliper and turning it "upside down" (which is actually right side up) so the bleed valve is the highest point in the system, then do the bleed. According to my shop, this has been working for all of their customers. I don't have enough time on the new bleed to know for sure, but it sounds plausible.....

-SM
Is your shop Motor Cafe in sunnyvale? The guy there told me the same thing, I've got it scheduled to get fixed next Saturday. He told me right out of the gate that the TSB kit + flipping the caliper works, so I scheduled it. I'll report back here with how it turns out.
Compared to what the Ace motorsports guy told me about the TSB, motor cafe may have just won a new customer. Never going to Ace again..

·
Registered
28 Posts
How can you tell if the dealer actually installed the TSB components? I do not trust my local dealer as far as I can shot put my MTS. I had it in for the TSB work but it feels the same or worse than when I took it in. It is worthless.

I am thinking they didn't do a think to it and I would like to be able to prove it.

Any help here?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Rear brake kit/fix

My dealer here ( Pro Italia) acknowledged the service bulletin and had to order the rear brake fix kit which had some new parts. They would not take the bike in until they had the kit. I assumed that it was done as the tech pointed out what had been replaced. I usually ask for the replaced faulty parts so I can verify the work was done. I have done this with every car I have ever had and even though it drives them nuts I do it anyway. Its the the only real way to know.

That said.. trusted that the work was done because the brake feel was a decent improvement. It can actually slow the bike down now on its own:rolleyes:

I find it funny when people ( including those that work at the dealer ) say things like " I never even use my rear brake". Or .. " all Ducati rear brakes are bad". The former is just stupid and the latter is not true. The rear brake on my 2009 Hyper was very solid.. if anything too solid. I could lock it up with very little pressure.

This was a huge oversight on an other wise brilliant bike and someone at Ducati should have been terminated over it. To put out a bike that is in part designed to be ridden on gravel/dirt roads and not have a rear brake that functions properly is just silly..

my .02

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just got my 2012 s tour yesterday. With 8 miles on the odo I tried the rear break and was shocked. It's more like what rear break?

Bah.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Cant believe they are still rolling bikes out with "the issue"

Just got my 2012 s tour yesterday. With 8 miles on the odo I tried the rear break and was shocked. It's more like what rear break?

Bah.
Shocked that they have not made this problem any better on the new bikes.
What are they thinking? I hope they have good lawyers on hand there.

·
Registered
282 Posts

Bah.
It might get a little better as you break it in. When I rode mine home new from the dealership I was wondering if they had installed a rear brake on the bike. When scheduling my 600 mi service I let the service dept know I wanted them to evaluate the rear brake, as it felt as if nothing was there, way too much pedal travel, etc. Right before my service the brake started to function reasonably - went from no feel to spotty feel (sometimes quite good, rest of the time just OK). Certainly no excuse for a lame rear brake, however it might get a little better for you as things wear in on the bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It might get a little better as you break it in. When I rode mine home new from the dealership I was wondering if they had installed a rear brake on the bike. When scheduling my 600 mi service I let the service dept know I wanted them to evaluate the rear brake, as it felt as if nothing was there, way too much pedal travel, etc. Right before my service the brake started to function reasonably - went from no feel to spotty feel (sometimes quite good, rest of the time just OK). Certainly no excuse for a lame rear brake, however it might get a little better for you as things wear in on the bike.
This is good to hear. Hopefully it breaks-in. Another thing I noticed is that the rear break fluid reservoir, the fluid is very dark. More dark than any motorcycle break fluid I have ever seen.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Rear brake

I fixed the rear brake by replacing it with a Brembo Supersport caliper... ;)
Mitico,

Do you have some details on what you have done? I have my suspicions that the only true fix is to replace the caliper. Does it work like a real rear brake?

Thanks,

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mitico,

Do you have some details on what you have done? I have my suspicions that the only true fix is to replace the caliper. Does it work like a real rear brake?

Thanks,
I second that...
I've had the TSB done and it felt better for a little while but it's back to the old push as far down as possible and...and...and...yeah I got nothing :think:

My Schwinn coaster brake on my first bike was awesome compared to this being my first Ducati rear brake.

Anywho, I would spend money on a new caliper/lines/master cylinder for a real rear brake. That is my only major complaint on an otherwise awesome bike.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Mitico,

Thanks,
The caliper is a straight bolt on part and there is enough brake line to reach.

I can actually stop the bike in a relatively short distance with it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
The caliper is a straight bolt on part and there is enough brake line to reach.

I can actually stop the bike in a relatively short distance with it.
Can you share some part numbers with us :)

·
Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
791 Posts
Having fought this problem on my 2011 and now on the '12 PP, here are some hard earned data points.

The only 'fix' that has lasted over 2k miles is to do the complete bleed (per Ducati instructions, which includes engaging the ABS several times after the first bleed and then redoing the whole procedure) and use Castrol SRF brake fluid ($$$$$)...and this still results in the pedal going to the stop after several thousand miles.

The best educated guess that I have heard is that the ABS unit is above the rear brake lines and has no bleed nipple on the unit, thus the inevitable bubbles end up trapped up in the ABS unit as it is the high point in the system, resulting in spongy feel and increased pedal travel over time.

FWIW

1 - 20 of 22 Posts