Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Rear Brake Service Bulletin SVC-11-014 09/08/2011

Motorcycle Info Pages - MTS1200 Service & Maintenance > Rear Brake Bleeding

Can someone here who has done this give feedback? How can I tell if my 2012 already has this?

My issue is with too much travel of the rear brake pedal.

Ducati Omaha lists the kit for my 1200S ABS at a whopping $195 US. Yikes, that's a lot for a new master cylinder and three hoses.

"69926281A - KIT FRENO POST MTS1200 ABS"

Thanks for any info.

-Bob

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Look at the plastic piece that comes out of your master cylinder and has the reservoir hose attached. Is it a 90 degree or not?
Don't have the bike near me for a bit but I'm looking at the parts diagram, is it the long hose to the right, connected by clips #17? Image embedded below

·
Registered
484 Posts
Don't have the bike near me for a bit but I'm looking at the parts diagram, is it the long hose to the right, connected by clips #17? Image embedded below

Nope. See the blue? They went from a 90 degree angle on the MASTER CYL to a 45-50 degree, also different bore size (maybe something else, not sure).

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello, I'm new to my 2011 MTS 1200S and I was told that this problem could be solved by using a brake fluid with much higher boiling point....like 'racing' higher. Has anyone heard this also? I was out for a ride yesterday and my rear brake was acting as if there was NO fluid in it, so I pulled over and checked it - sure enough it's full of fluid and the pedal travels the full distance :(

·
Registered
78 Posts
There are loads of posts out there and also videos showing the bleeding procedure and using HT brake fluid. Many people have done this and restored the rear brake. I did it and mine is fine.

·
Registered
126 Posts
FWIW YMMV.... My 13....Most improvement came from fitting a bleeder banjo to the rear ABS port. Of course quality dot 4 fluid. Now able to invoke the ABS on the rear.
Cheers

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have a '13 that has never managed to keep a functioning rear brake for more than about 1000 miles at a time. I've found that bleeding by getting as much slack as possible in the hose so I can lift the caliper up above the ABS unit seems to be the only way to get a decent bleed. Doing that will get me a solid brake for about 1k miles or so, and then it gets squishy again. Mine looks like it's a 90deg bend off the master cylinder. Should I consider buying one of these kits?

·
Registered
484 Posts
I have a '13 that has never managed to keep a functioning rear brake for more than about 1000 miles at a time. I've found that bleeding by getting as much slack as possible in the hose so I can lift the caliper up above the ABS unit seems to be the only way to get a decent bleed. Doing that will get me a solid brake for about 1k miles or so, and then it gets squishy again. Mine looks like it's a 90deg bend off the master cylinder. Should I consider buying one of these kits?
Have you installed the abs bleeder on the rear circuit?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Hello, I'm new to my 2011 MTS 1200S and I was told that this problem could be solved by using a brake fluid with much higher boiling point....like 'racing' higher. Has anyone heard this also? I was out for a ride yesterday and my rear brake was acting as if there was NO fluid in it, so I pulled over and checked it - sure enough it's full of fluid and the pedal travels the full distance :(
A ridiculious expensive fluid isn't the cure all. If so, everyone, I mean everyone would be doing it. I use the Motul RBF600 and change fluid on a routine schedule. I have 100% rear brake at all times. Of course I've also swapped to the later master cylinder and installed the abs bleeder, and I invert the caliper to get an air-free bleed. If a brake is going to mush, most likely there is air in the system.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts