Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
This is what I was saying to myself as I was flying through the air earlier. For some dumbass reason there was a bunch of sand completely covering the u turn area under the highway along a gateway in Las Cruces today. It looked like a dump truck full of sand started dumping right where you would initiate your turn. I wish my phone hadn't exploded so I could have taken a picture to show you how ridiculous it was.

I was on the final leg of a 400 mile trip through the mountains and just stopping for gas some 60 miles from home. The ride was awesome if anyones road thru the Gila National forest they know what i'm talking about. I was getting leaned over like never before only to get done in making a uturn to get gas :(.

*edit* Thank to the good samaritan who saw me fall and stopped to help!! I was so shook up I couldn't get my bike up by myself, lol I was trying to pick it up all wrong.

I didn't see the sand until I was just starting my turn, so I stood my bike up and got on my front brake since I've gotten out of the habit of using my rear brake, dumbass!, So knowing I was probably going to crash I got on it lightly, but wasn't slowing fast enough so I progressively squeezed harder until I tucked the front tire and went flying off.

I didn't even think of using my rear brake until I was in the air :mad::mad: If I had used it instead i'm sure I would have slid all the way to the curb, but I wouldn't have crashed.

Ima post some pics tomorrow, right now I'm drinking the pain away and trying to figure out how im going to meet up with the girls I met last night since my phone exploded on impact. :(

Overall the damage isn't bad. I have a small dent in the tank of my monster where the left clip on moved in far enough to hit it on impact. The clutch lever is ground way down its no longer adjustable lol, but it still works fine! The left mirror came loose just needs to be re tightened. The shift lever is bent pretty good but still works. My seat cowl and passenger rearset have some road rash.

My Icon jeans have a hole in them where my phone was. Why I thought it was a good Idea to put my phone on top of my kick stand puck i will never know, if it had been next to my skin instead the phone prolly wouldn't have broken. My RS Taichi gloves completely failed leaving me with a tiny bit of roadrash on my hands. Army boots aren't the best riding footwear giving me my worst injury and messed up ankle its not broken but is starting to swell a bit and is tender to walk on. I have a few abrasions on my knee/shin and hip but the icons held up there just fine. I'm mad i didn't wear my leather pants like i normally do for this trip because then my hip wouldn't be smashed up or my leg. My Ducati leather jacket worked perfectly you can hardly even tell I went down in it. The shoulder armor definitely saved my ass. I hit my shoulder pretty hard, but it doesn't even hurt at all. Before for this I was skeptical to wtf shoulder armor did, now i know!! I didn't hit my head at all because I couldn't see any damage to my helmet.

Well I'm off to drink enough to not feel my ankle and hopefully I can find those girls at the bar:p Good luck to all and remember to slow down WAY before the turn arounds on gateways. You never know when Some jackass dumped a bunch of sand on them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate battle with sand...I did the same thing many years ago on a Norton 750 Commando, with similar results. I can't resist however, pointing out that if your shoulder armor saved your ass, you had your jacket on upside down. Get well fast;)

·
Still needs a life.
12,618 Posts
There have been a lot of us going down lately. Unlike me, you are fortunate to remember your accident and learn from the experience.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts