Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every one: Now the bike is on the shop I had rear brake problem while i was riding on high way, I press rear brake to reduce speed and release I noticed the bike was still braking without me pressing the rear brake that was scary almost got hit by a vehicle or run over. I look back and saw a lot smoke and Rotor was RED HOT got sized or friction ABS cable got melted because the temperature were so hot :(. Called Ducati Road side got the bike for a week still waiting for approval to replace rear brake assembly. Let see how loooong it will take.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Were there any tell tale signs before you noticed something was amiss???

·
Registered
174 Posts
This is scary. The same thing happened to my mom on her M900ie. I always chalked it up to sitting for long intervals between being ridden, but maybe I'm wrong. What bike?

·
Registered
982 Posts
Putting the year and model of your bike in your signature is a huge help when asking questions or soliciting advice.

·
Registered
982 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
I had a similar think happen on a previous bike (Kawasaki Z750). Apparently whoever flushed the rear brake at the shop used the wrong bottle, and the contaminated fluid caused my pistons to seize. The thing is, I was carrying a pillion at the time so I just thought it was the extra weight making my back feel heavy, and by the time I realised something was wrong the back brake was locked solid. Had to let it cool for 30mins before riding it (front brake only) to the shop. Thankfully they fcuk-up was at the rear and not the front.

Hope you get your problem sorted, @Casso99

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that was happened because on my first service they did replace the brake fluid like year ago maybe while it was sitting there that caused the problem. They will replace everything on the rear brake, thanks @Spex

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had this issue on a bike a few years ago and found that the fluid return port in the master cylinder was clogged.

Basically when you could apply pressure to the brakes, but the brake pressure would never release.

Now this was on a 1981 Honda which I was a 25 year old bike at the time, but you're talking about a 2014... I'm glad you were not in an accident.

Reactions: Casso99

·
Registered
77 Posts
If someone adjusted the rear brake lever adjusting screw to compensate for air in the lines or in the caliper.... but later on bled the brakes without readjusting the rear brake lever screw to its normal position and making sure the pads are against the disk (as you have to take the caliper off to bleed the breaks (as the caliper bleed screw is on the bottom of the caliper))

It is posible that once the abs pump comes online, it will pump pressure on the line and as the rear brake lever is misadjusted... the brake will come on as you are riding.
You won`t notice it right away but a few miles down the road once the break is fully on after using the breaks a few times.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts