Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a short ride today I noticed the rear brake suddenly lost all feel and the pedal movement was twice its normal arc. Pull over and look. Linkages good, no fluid leak. But the friction lining has dropped off the outer brake pad (OEM) -- so it's just the steel backing plate against the rotor. Of course I stopped using the brake and got home ok. The rotor seems unscathed.

Has anyone else had this happen? And do you reckon it's safe to ride to the nearest dealer, about an hour away?

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
wear+age+heat cycles+mechanical stress......

haven't had it happen while still in use on a motorcycle though I have had a set or two come apart in my hands on used sets of calipers I've rebuilt. also had a few sets come apart (while in use) on cars I've owned.

by a new set and move on.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
If one pad was dragging a bit before it launched off it could have gotten very hot - hot enough to release the glue from the backing

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
I've had this happen with old pads, where rust has broken out between the metal and the friction material and popped it off.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hey wait...are you sayin' our bikes have a rear brake? Learn something new every day.
Agreed! Find mine pretty pathetic. Also get a howling if it has heated up some. I should probably look to try to improve that somehow.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wear+age+heat cycles+mechanical stress....
buy a new set and move on.
Ah yes, wear, age, heat & stress: story of my life. Those pads have been on the bike from new, nearly 50K kms, and there was likely some rust to blame as well. Time to switch the front ones too.
Thanks to all for your help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts