Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike has 23k ish miles. Ridden often in good weather since I got it, I've owned it for about 18 months. A few months and about 3k miles ago, the rear brake went soft over a short ride of maybe 10 miles or so. I put a new master cylinder on - brand new stock part purchased via eBay from a Ducati dealership. Bled the brake and put new pads on. The brake has been totally solid since then. This morning on my ride to work, I suddenly lost the rear brake again. Goes straight down with almost no effect. Brake fluid looks fine and is at the correct level.

It feels like the master is dead again, there are no external leaks or other obvious problems. Pads are good, I put new brand name pads on when I did the master. Rotor is fine. Are these masters just bad parts? Or am I the only one killing them this fast?

·
Registered
855 Posts
What shape is the brake caliper in? Could be sucking in air, etc. I replaced the master cylinder and caliper on mine and have no more issues. Worth looking at.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've thought about that but it seems like if the caliper was suckling air or had some other issue, then there would or could also be a fluid leak at the caliper? I suppose I could try replacing the caliper first this time. It's the only part besides the hose that's old.

·
Premium Member
5,656 Posts
Have you just tried to flush the fluid and bleed it? Lots of heat at that master. This will happen to me occasioaly. Fluid service always takes care of it. Also, rear caliper seals are avalible and they are a simple rebuild / refresh.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It must have been a heat thing. The brakes felt OK on the way home. Weird that it went to pretty much nothing fairly quickly the other day. It's not like I'm tracking the bike, or making super heavy use of the brake. Just riding to work on the same route I always take. I will probably do a fluid flush this weekend. What fluid do you guys prefer?

·
Registered
444 Posts
It must have been a heat thing. The brakes felt OK on the way home. Weird that it went to pretty much nothing fairly quickly the other day. It's not like I'm tracking the bike, or making super heavy use of the brake. Just riding to work on the same route I always take. I will probably do a fluid flush this weekend. What fluid do you guys prefer?
The heat is from the engine, not over use of the brake. Rear brake on these bikes are as good as useless anyways>:)
Motul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts