Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my rear brake just stopped working. It wont even hold the bike in place in my drive way. I do not use it all that often but I am still curious why it might have just stopped working.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So my rear brake just stopped working. It wont even hold the bike in place in my drive way. I do not use it all that often but I am still curious why it might have just stopped working.
Ok, seriously, get the wheel off, remove the caliper. Then check your pads, my pads separated from the fixed backing. I am dead serious here, it caused my wheel to lock up from friction heating the brake fluid so hot it expanded the lines and made it lock the caliper.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,887 Posts
You're lucky. 916's don't even come with rear brakes.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, seriously, get the wheel off, remove the caliper. Then check your pads, my pads separated from the fixed backing. I am dead serious here, it caused my wheel to lock up from friction heating the brake fluid so hot it expanded the lines and made it lock the caliper.
Is there a way i could check for that before removing all that?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
407 Posts
check the free play on the rear break peadal!!

if you have adjusted the free play out of the peadal the heat gets transfured through the rearset and binds the master either on or off but mostly on.

this happens on all bikes through the 916-1198n :eek:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
check the free play on the rear break peadal!!

if you have adjusted the free play out of the peadal the heat gets transfured through the rearset and binds the master either on or off but mostly on.

this happens on all bikes through the 916-1198n :eek:
This just happened for the first time an hour ago. Once the bike heated up the back wheel locked up and the brake lever was stuck fully engaged. So how do i fix this? Because now that the bike is cool, the lever moves freely but doesnt do anything when i press on it.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,746 Posts
You have cooked the pads now when the brake locked on so replace them, flush and bleed the fluid and adjust some freeplay back into the master cylinder pushrod so it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If i am new to mechanics, is this something i will be safe trying or should i go to a shop?

·
Registered
28 Posts
my 999 was doing the same thing... You would stop, roll the bike forward/reverse and it would release the caliper... Weirdest thing..

·
Chilehead
6,986 Posts
You've got too little freeplay, which caused the brake to lock when hot, as the bleed port is blocked (either now, or when things warm up).

Now, you have air in the system, which is why it's not working, and it won't bleed as the bleed port is blocked.

Unless you completely understand what I have written, you really should take it to a shop rather than try to fix it yourself because, while braking systems are not complex (ABS excluded), they are easy to screw up if you don't really understand them, and that is very dangerous!

Tom

·
Registered
407 Posts
If i am new to mechanics, is this something i will be safe trying or should i go to a shop?

ARE YOU JOKING MATE???

take the thing to the shop it might cost you a few quid £££ but better than ending up in a tree !!! or a box!!! :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts