Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to bleed the rear brake system. Looking at it with the upside down caliper and the bleed valve at the bottom it seems the best way would be to take the caliper off so as not to work against pressure/gravity. The only problem is that I don't have a rear stand that will work with the Hyper just yet...

So is there a smarter way to bleed that thing without taking it off or am I doomed? :eek:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Put the bike upside down

Tihi :p

Seriously though i think there's a method called reverse bleeding where you pump the fluid in through the caliper and get air from the master. However i know very little about this method. Best of luck

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Why do you need a rear stand to take off the rear caliper?

·
Registered
142 Posts
This is very easy with 2 people, but is a little more challenging by yourself since the brake pedal is on the opposite side, but here's what to do. Unbolt the rear caliper and just swing it outside the wheel so the bleeder is pointing up. Now simply have your helper pump the pedal and bleed as normal. Without flipping the caliper so the bleeding pointing up you will not get the trapped air out and will run the risk of dripping fluid onto the wheel. Brake fluid and paint/powdercoat don't play well together.

I did it by myself one day before going to work in no more than 10 minutes. By yourself you need to pump with your foot and hang over the bike to reach the caliper for bleeding at the same time... Tricky, but not impossible.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I ended up taking it to a local guy who said there was a problem with the master cylinder. I thought it wasn't the case so I took it to the best central FL dealer who removed the wheel/caliper and bled the circuit properly.

It's as good as new now, and they only charged me $20 :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts