Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I haven't been around for a really long time, as I sold my 999s a year ago, and bought a Triumph Daytona 675. (Awesome bike. Please don't send hate mail.) In December I had a nasty crash at the track, and am selling the bike when it gets back from repair next week.
Now, I have always really wanted a sport 1000, and am almost certain I am going to buy a new black one. Was just after some feed back from owners or those that have had a decent ride on one, of what they thought. Also, which bike you rode before, and how you found the transition.
I will be test riding one soon, and I do know that the handling, and the brakes will be a step down from the 675.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.:)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well, I have ridden Japanese sport bikes since I was 18 and I knew I was ready for a change. I am now 42 with wife and two kids. I looked at all the cruisers and in betweens, but truth be told, I couldn't relinquish the thought of attacking a corner at extreme lean angles and the sheer thrill of sport riding. I saw my first SC at the Jacob Javits in NY prior to Ducati actually announcing production, and I knew this was the bike for me. I am thrilled with the way the bike rides, the uniqueness of it's styling and simply the way it makes me feel. In a sea of Harley chrome on the one side and Japanese primary colors on the other, my SC 1000se with black Zards revels in it's ability to stop passers by who can't help but wonder what it is.
At the end of each ride as I dismount with an ear to ear grin, I slowly revert back to the middle aged guy driving his kid to soccer practice. Thats when I can't help but feel like a kid with the biggest secret of all..!

·
Registered
412 Posts
The SC1000 will be a step down in out right performance but a huge step up in coolness. Everywhere you go people will check you out and ask you questions. Even Harley riders will pay you respect.

The nice thing is with all the information contained in this forum you can pretty much take your bike up to the performance level of your 675. Mine has been a three year project and I am about to pull it apart again!!

Get it!!!

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
It is a different ride for sure off the start. depends on how much you want to spend too, to get it tweaked to where you want for your purposes. that is easy math to figure out.

But I still have way too much fun basically as she is stock...

and akillya is right, I actually got a big smile and hey there from a harley guy the other day..

·
Registered
849 Posts
If you can, try to find a use Paul Smart. You can get your hands on them for a decent price, plus you don't have to upgrade a lot of stuff. Cool factor is in effect no matter what you choose in the SC line!

Cheers,
JS

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I can't imagine how we could take the title of you thread seriously: "Really want one. Should I?" Well what answer do you think you're going to get from a group of Sport Classic owners? :rolleyes:

Contrary to what someone said above, a Sport 1000 is never going to be comparable to your 675 (which is making 125-130 crank HP out of the box, with a dry weight of 357 lbs.). It can certainly be more satisfying than your 675, but that depends on what is going to please you. That's why they make so many different motorcycles, and that's a question that only you can answer.

If you've been lurking here a long time, then I think you know what the Sport is going to be like. You just have to decide if that's the different kind of bike that will now make you happy.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
The SC1000 will be a step down in out right performance but a huge step up in coolness. Everywhere you go people will check you out and ask you questions. Even Harley riders will pay you respect.
Last Sunday I parked my PS in the middle of a bunch of cruisers. They all came over to look at the bike. They all gave me a big thumbs up! Very cool! :cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Teets, come up for a weekend and get on mine for a few hours. I rode Brads 675 through Thunderbolts last trip. While they are completely different machines I noticed the front suspension and brakes more than anything. I don't think the SC brakes are bad just different. I loved my 955 Daytona but it never had the soul of the Sport. There is something primal about them and you will either get it or you wont.

Anyway this conversation is best served over a BBQ.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Major has it right again. No one here is going to advise against the purchase!

That said, there have been some folks that have pulled the trigger on the purchase, and then sold the bike after just a few thousand miles and a few months. These bikes are different. After you buy it (and you should, and will) give it some time. It will be different from anything else that you could have bought. You'll love it.

·
Banned
303 Posts
Last Sunday I parked my PS in the middle of a bunch of cruisers. They all came over to look at the bike. They all gave me a big thumbs up! Very cool! :cool:
That's funny. I know as a Harley rider my first reaction to the Paul Smart was a positive one. In fact, so much so that I went out and bought one.

My experience has been a little bit different than yours though. Last year I was at a bike event and a buddy of mine was telling a friend of his how awesome my bike was. The guys response was "Oh, I don't mess with that shit". Now there's an open minded individual for you. Everyone else just ignored it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I grew up riding dirt bikes and enduros through the city streets of NYC. (What was I thinking?) When I matured, and the kids and wife were old enough to understand that daddy was having a mid-life crisis, I was authorized by the warden to purchase a bike. I looked around, and purchased a 696. I absolutley loved the bike. It handled like a dream. Still, I wanted more. So, I traded in the 696 for a GT. I have to tell you, that I love this bike even more. There are alot of twisty, hilly roads where I live. I'm not saying that the GT out performs the Monster; I just saying it's different. The GT is more comfortable. This renders the bike easier to control on a lazy afternoon. If you are looking for a well designed all around performing bike, not to race, but to enjoy, the SC's will deliver more than you would ever need. Additionally, these bikes get noticed. From Harley dudes to sport bike enthusiasts, everyone is intrigued by the look and the sound. Should you but one? Only if you want the best looking, best sounding, all around best performing comfortable road bike that was ever produced. Maybe, I'm a little biased...but if you bought one you'd be too.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
When i had finished my LeMans project, i thought that nothing else could come my way… for more than one decade i was the "this is my last motorcycle" guy.

Then i bought a 2007 Biposto…:D

·
Banned
303 Posts
Major has it right again. No one here is going to advise against the purchase!

That said, there have been some folks that have pulled the trigger on the purchase, and then sold the bike after just a few thousand miles and a few months. These bikes are different. After you buy it (and you should, and will) give it some time. It will be different from anything else that you could have bought. You'll love it.
I agree. It definately took a while to get used to it. But it was sooo worth it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to take one for a test ride next weekend, and let the bike speak for its self.
I saw one again today, they have to be one of the most beautiful, timeless looking bikes around. I don't think it will age like modern sports bikes.
Will let you all know how the ride went.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
The SC's appeal to me too. Particularly the DS motor. But, I just can't get past the price for a bike that has tube tires, non-adjustable Marzocchi forks (if you recall the '90's SS/CR's you know how much they suck) and an inferior Sachs shock. If the SC's had Showa suspension and tubeless tires, I'd be all over one. If you put the money in to fix these issues you would have spent enough to own a new 848. No brainer to me.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
The SC's appeal to me too. Particularly the DS motor. But, I just can't get past the price for a bike that has tube tires, non-adjustable Marzocchi forks (if you recall the '90's SS/CR's you know how much they suck) and an inferior Sachs shock. If the SC's had Showa suspension and tubeless tires, I'd be all over one. If you put the money in to fix these issues you would have spent enough to own a new 848. No brainer to me.
Don't compare SCs with 848s or similar superbike stuff…

SCs are for people who love spoked wheels, old school dampers, clean looks and this retro approach…

There is nothing wrong with the rear shocks on my Bipo and the fork is working good if modified to your needs.

At the ducati workshop of my friend Sigi, we have checked out several Showa equipped bikes. These forks also suck if not set up according to your needs.

Sigi is a long time racer and knows more about suspension than most of the guys around.

He claims that the right springs and suitable oil do the job… the rest is tuned via air chamber.

This pseudo racer adjustability blabla is ridiculous when you see the guys on their 30K € Superikes getting passed by on the track by an old man on a 750 Imola…

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Ditto. I'd rather have my SC with it's expensive suspension upgrades than a new, stock 848. They are completely different types of bikes - not a sensible comparison.

But, anyone buying an SC primarily because it is cheaper, when what they really would like is an 848, is making a big mistake!

I disagree though that the "pseudo racer adjustability blah blah" is ridiculous. Damping adjustments made to good, aftermarket suspension components make a *profound* difference in the way the bike feels and performs, even for street riding. I am not saying that such mod are necessary, just that they are a lot of fun if you like to fiddle with such stuff, and do ake a noticable difference. For me, they make a lot more sense than engine mods - the bike already has plenty of power for street riding, and sounds good too with just an exhaust change.

It is funny though how many folks would never consider buying a bike without adjustable suspension, even if they have never spent a moment of their life learning how to adjust it!

·
Registered
185 Posts
They can be very good

Hi Tito,

First the bad bits
One of the previous posters was correct in that the Marzocchi forks are useless as are the mono's single shock and the front brakes arn't much better, as for the spokes with tubes Ducati really cheap'd out here, as they poor quality and very heavy causing a lot of giro round the bends. Tyres that tramline like crazy. Anyone who say's the handling is good 'round the twisties' really hasn't had a go on a very good handling bike like the Daytona. Ducati should have charged us an extra grand and put the good bits on.

Now the good bits
It's easy and cheap to maintain. Spend money on a set of quality exhausts, send the forks off to Maxton or Race Tech or an Aussie equivilent and get them to engineer them as they should be - mine done at Maxtons cost £560 including postage this includes new cartridges and internals and the tops engineered to make them adjustable. Get Brembo 4 pad axial 65mm goldline calipers £145 each including pads. A set of lightweight forged ali Marchesinis (only 1lb heavier than magnesium), Pirelli Diablos, 2CT's, Qualifiers or BT016's and hey presto - the bike it should have been. Sublime handling tons of grunt, fantastic noise and appreciation from other bikers and non bikers alike. The bip sachs are not that bad but if you want better damping the ohlins shocks made for a Triumph Thruxton or an NCR will fit or Maxton twin shocks for £388 plus the crappy VAT (not applicable for export).

You could buy a PS and get the ohlins suspension thrown in.

You may think after all this I don't like my bike but I seriously love it, I just want it to be as it should have been, but in doing what I'm doing, it makes my bike unique to me and makes me love it even more, so much so I'm going to buy a mono toward the end of the year just so I can have all the bits all over again but with the mental Zard pipes.

If you do start this journey I hope you love it as much as the rest of us.

Regards Nick1000:D:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
each time i read one of your negative posts i look at your signature and wonder why you bother reading this forum??? this is not sour grapes - everyone is entitled to their opinions, but i wouldn't go lurk on a harley forum and snipe at their bikes every chance i got...

the part that bugs me is that your posts all seem to mumble the same old gripes about the suspension and wheels - nothing new to anyone here, and there sure seem to be lots of folks who like these bikes and make them work quite well with fairly modest mods (used wheels, monster forks, etc. off ebay).

so if you feel compelled to lurk here, even without a sc in your garage, please post something insightfull or interesting next time.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
No question the 848 is a better performing bike - so is a Triumph 675, GSXR's, R1's, etc., etc..

No one should buy a Sport Classic who would rather have one of those. I didn't want one of those bikes.

Still don't.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts