Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually im really new to Ducati. My names Jonny and I've been into Motocross forever and shortly after my last accident I got outta bikes all together. Ive been deep into VW's for the last couple of years and that damn spark for riding is coming back slowly but surely.

So basically, I have this idea of building my bike instead of buying it straight up. Money is tight right now, considering the Jetta is and has been in the shop for sometime, with the motor swap just getting finished with now the VW has tied up alot of my money, and I still want another bike.

So basically I was wondering where everyone would suggest getting a frame. I want to start with a 916, so I assume I need the actual frame and sub frame. I also assume alot of the parts are mix and matchable? Such as front ends and whatnot. So any insight as where I should start would be greatly appreciated.

Heres a VW for views. :)

Thanks. -Jonny.

·
Registered
68 Posts
that song comes to mind:

riding so low it's like I'm riding on rails :)

·
Registered
189 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, it might be cheaper in the long run.
But I just sorta wanna go pay cheque by pay cheque.
Plus thats in CA. I live in Canada.
I would probably look into doing this though. If the right bike comes along.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does it really matter what frame I start with?
Or can I run any frame?
Just curious if the 916 is ok for what I want to do.

·
Registered
37 Posts
BrassKnuckleTherapy said:
Does it really matter what frame I start with?
Or can I run any frame?
Just curious if the 916 is ok for what I want to do.
No offense meant or implied in any way, but.......................... if you want to end up with an all Ducati bike that is tricked out and unless you have a bunch parts bikes available, you are going to get killed, money wise, by starting with just a frame. This goes for any bike and double, no, make it triple for a Ducati.
Starting with a complete 916 is a possible way to go, but you will probably have a high mileage motor/trans to start with since you want to go as low buck as possible. Doing your own work is a must to keep the costs down. Sell your take offs on eBay.
Suggest you consider salvage (not crashed but maybe a partial strip) bike (assuming that you can register one in CAN) because the cost will be much less and a bike that is personalized will be worth much less if and when you go to sell it in the future.
If you can find one at an affordable price, start with a 998 because you start with the latest generation motor. I bought mine with 2900 miles for under $9k and I am happy with it.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, If I can find one closer to my location I would consider just buying one.
But, I sorta just wanted a project. If its gonna cost an ass load more, then I might as well just look for a slighty damaged 998 or 916 and put money into it. The other thing is, there isnt very many Duc's here what so ever. Ive seen one that wasnt close to even being a 95. So, that is another problem. I have connections at the Honda shop, so I am going to find out if they can deal with Ducati for parts. There is no Ducati dealer here so that is another disadvantage. Either way, Im gonna keep looking on here for something and quiet possibly buy something off someone on here. Maybe a track bike that someone is getting rid of or a project that isnt gonna get finished. Ill keep my eyes open anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts