Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As per earlier posts, the headlight on my 900ssie is shocking. I did the HID (eBay) route and low beam was amazing, but high quite poor. This is most likely due to H4 high beam filaments being a few millimetres off the centre axis of the bulb and HIDs that move the bulb only move along the axis, so the high beam position is wrong.

Back to the plot. I got out the multimeter and measured some voltages and found I was losing about 1.8V on high or low from the battery to the light. According to the Daniel Stern Lighting web site, at 14 V at the lamp, it produces 1356 lumens. My reality was 12.2 V, when the battery was 14, so again according to Daniel, I only had somewhere between 800 and 900 lumens. Lets guess it was 850, so I lost 37 whopping percent!!! No wonder we all think the lights are crap.

The reason is the cables are too small and all the connectors add to the voltage drop.

Solution - bypass all the wiring and put in serious gear.
Parts one 5 pin auto relay. one 4 pin, normally open auto relay, one heavy duty H4 lamp connector, about a metre of red and black cables around 6mm2 or bigger if you want, about half a metre of blue and brown cables around 1mm2. 5 female spade connectors for the big cables, 4 female spade connectors for the small cables, a 15A fuse and holder and finally two male spade connectors to plug into the original H4 connector.

I have attached two wiring diagrams. One is for this mod and the other incorporates an extra momentary action switch, which means you can start the bike without lights on (cold cranking days!) then press and release the momentary action switch to turn the lights on, which will go off when you turn off the bike.

Richard

PS I have not given up on HID yet and will work on a mechanism to get the high position right.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Now is it going to be the same thing on the 750? and what kind of Lights are recomended for the aplication?

·
Registered
836 Posts
wow thats awesome, will have to try that :)
i just installed a H4 55/100 in my headlight to increase the highbeam brightness :) worked for me.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last 2 posts

Although given the voltage drop I bet you will not see anything like it, particularly as it will increase with the increased current through the Du wiring. It could be quite awesome if you do the mod and see what you get afterwards. How will the headlamp stand up to a "true" or close to true 100W?

Lamp used. There are lots of posts and external sources on this emotive subject. The one I have happens to be a Cibie plus 30 from memory.

The other thing to remember is lamps deteriorate over time, so they should be changed. See the spec sheets.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OOPS - error in lights off wiring diagram

There is a mistake in the circuit diagram for the option to have your headlight off when starting. The way I drew it, the headlight current will flow through the momentary action switch for millisecinds until the relay closes. This could damage the switch if its current rating is low, as it should be. I.e. circa 30 milliamps is about all the relay coils pulls. In the attached diagram, I have added a diode between the coil connection and the relay closed pin. This stops current flowing from the switch to the headlight, but allows the coil to remain energised after the relay has closed.

Just bought a 90/130 H4 lamp. The cables will hold up, but will the headlamp housing?

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
So does this mean nobody is making an HID lamp setup for our 800SS's? Do they all have to be home built?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts