Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys.

after being a long-term observer, now im new to the forums. asking you straight away for your insights about this lovely bike, riding skills requirements and experience in particular...

i fell in love with streetfighter the moment i saw in at my dealer. im very comfortable with my monster 1100S, however, my heart tells me to go for this beauty immediately. but, after reading loads about its power, talking to some friends, even after inspecting the signatures of this forum members showing lot of experience on different bikes incl. superbikes - im asking: is the streetfighter a bike for me, casual rider whos experience is on monster1100 level? (unfortunately it seems i wont be able to test-drive the SF anytime soon cause of dealer issues)

i have a big respect for streetfighter, therefore asking for more insights of those of you experienced streetfighters.

thank you in advance.

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
I guess a good way to put it would be that the 1100 will get you into trouble, but the F1098 will do it quicker. The ride style is somewhat different, but both are good rides. While both bike should be respected, as all bikes should, you should be very aware of the potential that the F1098 offers in terms of HP and torque. If you have good control of how you ride and when you let it hang out, you'll enjoy this bike. If you've found yourself falling short of power or hitting the rev limiter looking for more, the F1098 has the next level of power that the 1098 offers up, all while allowing a more relaxed riding position that wont wear you out.

With that said, I would add that you need to test ride it first. That short little time on board will answer all your questions. I would not put much stock in what I say when it comes to laying out your money. Find a dealer that can hook you up with a test. Then think it over. I thought it over for a day or two, but my situation was not the same as anyone else but my own. I was growing weary of the ST3s, while I had been enjoying my S2R1k more and more. The end result was to decide Red, Black or White and standard versus S. No matter what version of the model, they all offer the same satisfaction that only the Street Fighter can, at least for those of us that went for it. Those who didn't like the SF, can still find happiness on an 1100, a 848, a 1098 or even on some other brand. As long as you are happy, then I am happy for ya!

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
hello guys.

after being a long-term observer, now im new to the forums. asking you straight away for your insights about this lovely bike, riding skills requirements and experience in particular...

i fell in love with streetfighter the moment i saw in at my dealer. im very comfortable with my monster 1100S, however, my heart tells me to go for this beauty immediately. but, after reading loads about its power, talking to some friends, even after inspecting the signatures of this forum members showing lot of experience on different bikes incl. superbikes - im asking: is the streetfighter a bike for me, casual rider whos experience is on monster1100 level? (unfortunately it seems i wont be able to test-drive the SF anytime soon cause of dealer issues)

i have a big respect for streetfighter, therefore asking for more insights of those of you experienced streetfighters.

thank you in advance.
massive skill... you need MASSIVE SKILL to ride the SF.. you can't play around it's crazy,, if you aren't careful you will DIE.. :) It will jump you from behind and EAT YOU! I keep mine chained down in the garage so it doesn't attack the mail man

actually it's a pretty civil bike, but it just doesn't like to go slow. You can kind of putter around with a monster but puttering around on the SF (stock with stock gearing etc) will be puttering around at 50-60 when you might be in a 35.. so Be prepared for that. aside from the want to always go fast (literally in 6th gear on the interstate you feel like you are out for a morning cruise)
wind is not really an issue. the right heal in the exhaust is an issue for some, if you have smaller feet some people are able to ignore it for the most part. Fueling depending on bike and maybe location seems to be an issue for some, but not so much for other. I've done several mods to mine but it still has the oem can and ecu, but it runs pretty good.
the stock settings on the Ohlins suspenders are STIFF, but because of this it seems to go into a corner very well and if you are accelerating it corners very well. I Love the tires, some do not but it's the first time I've ever used dual compound tires and I find myself cornering much more aggressively that I did on my past bikes (the tire profile is nicer than my past bikes too)
you will get comments maybe not as much as an old monster750 with an army paint job and cafe bars :) .. but you will get them, you might already on your monster.

that's all I can think of right now

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
they're right you know... best be VERY careful

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
appreciate your comments guys. i definitely gotta test ride it. im afraid im not grown for SF yet altho cant help myself... i like the bike too much.

thx alot

·
Registered
736 Posts
I guess a good way to put it would be that the 1100 will get you into trouble, but the F1098 will do it quicker. The ride style is somewhat different, but both are good rides. While both bike should be respected, as all bikes should, you should be very aware of the potential that the F1098 offers in terms of HP and torque. If you have good control of how you ride and when you let it hang out, you'll enjoy this bike. If you've found yourself falling short of power or hitting the rev limiter looking for more, the F1098 has the next level of power that the 1098 offers up, all while allowing a more relaxed riding position that wont wear you out.
+1

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
appreciate your comments guys. i definitely gotta test ride it. im afraid im not grown for SF yet altho cant help myself... i like the bike too much.

thx alot
you'd be fine. if you knew how many guys out there went first thing to buy a japanese liter bike as their first bike, or buy big bore V-twin cruiser/choppers.. you would probably feel much better. You have a year experience on a decent sized bike, that's more than most people get.

·
Registered
102 Posts
you'd be fine. if you knew how many guys out there went first thing to buy a japanese liter bike as their first bike, or buy big bore V-twin cruiser/choppers.. you would probably feel much better. You have a year experience on a decent sized bike, that's more than most people get.
+1

·
Registered
195 Posts
As long as you use your head and go easy on the bike until you feel 100% comfortable with it, then you should be fine. I personally have been riding on and off for 10 years but on smaller engines such as 250/500/600 CC and my last bike before the Streetfighter was a 2007 yamaha yzf-r6. The power difference between the yzf-r6 & the SF, is huge but I just took it slow and took my time getting to know the bike and how it reacts in different situations.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
if you knew how many guys out there went first thing to buy a japanese liter bike as their first bike, or buy big bore V-twin cruiser/choppers.. you would probably feel much better.
My first bike was a 1982 Honda CB 900. It scared the living crap out of me for a while and I think this is what saved my butt..... I had a very healthy respect for the fact that it would bite me hard if I wasn't VERY careful... That said, the SF is still a level or three above that bike so I would say that you could not possibly be too careful on it. Not only under power but under braking as well, you could loose the front end with one too many fingers on the brake lever.
Hopefully the combination of the large amount of money you would invest, along with a desire to keep it looking beautiful (ie not drop it!!!) and a healthy respect or fear for the power and you would be OK. You don't say how long you have been riding and how much time you have had on the 1100??? can you tell us?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hehe thank you all for cheering me up a bit. some confidence for the final decision is definitely what i need at the moment.

@TheDucnutOfBevelville: i had the z750 and m1100 in the last 12 months, coming back from riding all available bikes on our market 16 years ago (50-350ccm only tho) - btw. im 35y old :D

these facts and today's test drive (yeah i took a day off and went to vienna where duc dealer had the SFS ready for me) didnt give me enough proof i deserve the bike - skillwise. indeed, today's ride was amazing. altho at first i thought this bike is meant for flying not riding, after i calmed down i enjoyed it anywhere i went (traffic, hills, highway).

as i supposed, this bike is not for me. its 2 years riding ahead and some riding skill levels above me. but i dont want any other bike. SFS evokes the same feelings in me as when my son was born. and i dont want to live without them anymore :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts