Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a quite concerned about the SC's tank spread issue. I am one week away from buying one, but to be honest, the possibility of this problem coming my way is kinda raining on my parade. I haven't gone around to each gas station (here in Ontario) to check their ethanol content, but figured it doesn't much matter because the issue is still there and other station in my travels may use it. Or what we see at the pumps now could change a year from now. Our provincial government is back and forth on the issue of increasing the content, so it's unclear to me where this is headed -- more or less content. It would be nice to hear that Ducati was replacing these tanks with a metal version, but I have read on this forum that some members have had the same issue with their replacement plastic tanks. I should mention that the bike I'm looking at is an '07 through a private sale, so I'm thinking that a local dealer may not be so eager to help me out should the issue arise.

So, what do you folks think? Am I being overly cautious? Should I steer clear?

thanks,
C.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I just purchased a 2007 Sport 1000 with 2900 kms on the clock, and it does not currently show signs of deformation. I have been using Shell V-Power in my MINI Cooper S because it was the only gasoline I was able to find with no ethanol, but as you said, that could change at any time. I have yet to fill up my Sport 1000, but when I do, it will be with V-Power. MINIs have been having their fuel pumps disintegrate in the U.S. because of the ethanol content (and other makes and models have had similar issues due to plastics being damaged), and I have little doubt that is what is causing the issue with the plastic Ducati tanks.

I certainly hope I am not affected by this issue, but I have been keeping an eye on the aluminum tank project.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
In the "sticky section" you can read almost 500 responses to the question of tank spreading. If you can't get an answer there I'm not sure what we can do to ease your mind.

My tank is fine. It has been fine for three plus years. Some others on this forum are on their third tank. Ducati has replaced warped tanks but they aren't saying what they are doing to permanently fix the problem so that's always going to be a concern.

You are looking at an 07. Is it from your general area? Has the tank started to spread? If it is okay and you can use the same fuel that the current owner is using then you should be fine.

I can't tell you how your local dealer is going to react. He should honor all Ducati warranties. Have you bought anything else from him? Are you going to let him service your bike?

The bottom line is that it is your choice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Choice is yours, dude. Personally, I'd buy a Sport 1000 again, knowing about the tank spreading issue and about how bad it really is. Like Bishamon said, keep an eye on the aluminum tank thread, and get the bike if you love it.

Finding out your tank is spreading sucks, but it's not enough to make the bike a lemon, IMO. Truth be told, I worry more about the crappy stock suspension than I do about the spreading tanks. Why oh why couldn't Ducati put full Ohlins on the SE's too?

·
Registered
900 Posts
I bought mine used from a dealer. The tank was spreading when I got it. We shimmed it up and it is fine. The tank does show some deformation, but I figure as long as it is safe, I'll live with it. I still bought the bike know about it because it is a great bike over all.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the "sticky section" you can read almost 500 responses to the question of tank spreading. If you can't get an answer there I'm not sure what we can do to ease your mind.

My tank is fine. It has been fine for three plus years. Some others on this forum are on their third tank. Ducati has replaced warped tanks but they aren't saying what they are doing to permanently fix the problem so that's always going to be a concern.

You are looking at an 07. Is it from your general area? Has the tank started to spread? If it is okay and you can use the same fuel that the current owner is using then you should be fine.

I can't tell you how your local dealer is going to react. He should honor all Ducati warranties. Have you bought anything else from him? Are you going to let him service your bike?

The bottom line is that it is your choice.
Yes, I've read that sticky thread. I understand that I alone need to make the decision, but it's kinda tough making a logical one when the lust is steering the way. Perhaps it was a redundant thread to post.

The bike is about 400 miles from me in another province, where their fuel regulations are likely different from ours in Ontario. When I asked the seller if he had any issues with the tank, his reply was "no". But it wouldn't be the first time that a seller had told a fib to make a sale, lol.

The dealer I referred to will be doing the service, so I suppose I should ask him if he has seen any issues in our area and how they are handling it.

Thanks for your help.
C.

·
Registered
473 Posts
CanuckonaDuc,

I you buy a used sport (the older the better) with a good tank you should be ok.

These bikes are a true delight, but they are best purchased by someone who can afford (financially and psychologically) to deal with the problems that can arise.

Lee C.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CanuckonaDuc,

I you buy a used sport (the older the better) with a good tank you should be ok.

These bikes are a true delight, but they are best purchased by someone who can afford (financially and psychologically) to deal with the problems that can arise.

Lee C.
Sound advice, Lee. I expect some issues, as it is a machine after all. So psychologically, I can deal with with it. Financially? I can't imagine anyone would be happy forking out two grand on a faulty part. Little quirks are what give these toys their character, I suppose.

I just called 3 local dealers. Two of the three have not seen this issue, one has had 2 tanks come it. Both required a few washers per side.

C.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much. My tank has the spread and I just shimmed it up. No biggie. Also, rumor is that Ducati will be coming out with a replacement that won't spread at some point.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
zzzzzzzz....

This tank spread warping thing is tiring....

If you ride alot - it'll warp. Count on it.

If you don't - you'll be fine.

Everyone I know has some sort of tank issue. We all ride a lot.

Tank spread/warp hasn't stopped any on of my friends from riding long distances at spirited paces as frequently as we can find time to get out.

Owning an SC is nothing short of awesome. You will know the feeling if you choose to own one. However, ownership does not come without its own set of major league issues.

Not owning an SC is - well - you kow what that feels like right now...

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Canuck - a couple of things to keep in mind:

Not all SC owners have had the tank problem. I believe one of the tank issue stickies has a poll and I think there's a sizable percentage of us who haven't had a problem (knock on wood).

Secondly, regarding buying from a private individual rather than the shop, Ducati NA considers the problem to fall under their emissions control warranty, which is 5 years, not 2 like the bike's general warranty. If you have a problem within the next 3 years, your local dealer has to rectify it and from what I've read from some of those who've had the issue, "siccing" Ducati NA on stonewalling dealers has been pretty effective.

Update - I just checked the above-mentioned poll and going by it, statistically you have about a 2 in 3 chance of having the problem:(. I'm betting the majority of those of us who've been lucky so far live where ethanol-free gas is readily available.

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
No Ethanol in the Gas = No tank problems

If you can buy gasoline with very low or zero ethanol blended in it you won't have any problem. The only place tank spreading problems are being reported is in the USA where ethanol content of gasoline can be 10% or more.

I don't know about Canada.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts