Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
After 4 years of sitting and collecting dust, my 2004 ST 3 is back on the road and running strong.
Problem is that I had the bike set up for two up riding, the new wife won't ride with me so I need to re valve and re spring the front forks and rear Ohlins shock.
GP Suspension is close to me, in Oxnard, CA, so I think I won't be able to service the rear shock. But I am willing to tackle the forks.
I just looked at the video that Dave Moss did on YouTube, so I know I can replace the oil and put new correct springs in the fork tubes. It looks like I only need a 19mm and 17mm box wrench, what other tools will I need to do the re valving? Where do I get the special aluminum vice jaws for the fork tubes? Do I need to purchase the valve kit from GP Suspension, since I have their 25mm kit installed in the Showa forks? How do I select the right valve kit and springs for my weight and riding style?
Thanks,
ZMann

·
Super Moderator
5,603 Posts
I would start with measuring sag of both the front and rear suspensions. That will tell you if your existing springs are suitable for your "new" solo set-up. Back off the preload and see if you get suitable numbers. You may be in luck and not have to change out the springs.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
You will definitely need some more tools because you will probably need seals and sliders as well, or at least that would make job done well. And a third hand would help.

So you have the GP valve installed, but not upgraded springs? Or are you thinking you have to take out the upgraded springs now that you have no passenger? You should email GP to let them know what you have and ask for their recommendation. They might just recommend a different oil weight and confirm the sag settings are a first step. And give you an idea of what tools you need. 4 years sitting plus riding time before that I would say the oil change is necessary and you can tell by the smell and color whether other bits inside have worn out.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would start with measuring sag of both the front and rear suspensions. That will tell you if your existing springs are suitable for your "new" solo set-up. Back off the preload and see if you get suitable numbers. You may be in luck and not have to change out the springs.
For sure the forks springs are too stiff for a single rider, I set sag front and rear on the back. The preload on the forks is turned out almost all the way counterclockwise & so is the compression and damping. I am making an assumption that you want the clickers and preload set in the middle of the range.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will definitely need some more tools because you will probably need seals and sliders as well, or at least that would make job done well. And a third hand would help.

So you have the GP valve installed, but not upgraded springs? Or are you thinking you have to take out the upgraded springs now that you have no passenger? You should email GP to let them know what you have and ask for their recommendation. They might just recommend a different oil weight and confirm the sag settings are a first step. And give you an idea of what tools you need. 4 years sitting plus riding time before that I would say the oil change is necessary and you can tell by the smell and color whether other bits inside have worn out.
25mm kit with upgraded springs, sag is correct. I guess new oil and springs are the way to go first for the forks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts