Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Ducati 916 Senna II
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the South East of Melbourne but willing to drive a reasonable distance to get good paint work on my bike.

Can anyone recommend a good painter from experience with their own or friends bike please? Its an absolute minefield
looking this topic up on the interweb!

·
Premium Member
2,767 Posts
You are correct it is a minefield trying to find the right painter, --You just have to understand one thing --you are not going to find an excellent painter cheap---I am really lucky to have one of the best painters in the U.S. within a mile of my shop, he does all of my restoration paint work--but he is not inexpensive.

Reactions: scott

·
Registered
Ducati 916 Senna II
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are correct it is a minefield trying to find the right painter, --You just have to understand one thing --you are not going to find an excellent painter cheap---I am really lucky to have one of the best painters in the U.S. within a mile of my shop, he does all of my restoration paint work--but he is not inexpensive.
Im OK for paying for the work so long as its quality. I think there comes a time in life where you work out the short price has headaches attached.
Here in Melbourne, Australia we have some great painters but its hard to know their specialties without wasting their time.

Having those resources within a mile is a big plus!!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Are you repainting your Senna?
Do you have any pics of the Senna you'd be willing to share? It's a pretty damn rare bike, even on forums.

I kind of forget about this bike, but after seeing your post I just did some interwebs trawling for some pics. Wow, does the series 2 Senna silver ever bring out the beautiful lines of the 916! Just incredible. If this is the bike you're repainting, make sure the painter gets that silver just right

·
Registered
Ducati 916 Senna II
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Are you repainting your Senna?
Do you have any pics of the Senna you'd be willing to share? It's a pretty damn rare bike, even on forums.

I kind of forget about this bike, but after seeing your post I just did some interwebs trawling for some pics. Wow, does the series 2 Senna silver ever bring out the beautiful lines of the 916! Just incredible. If this is the bike you're repainting, make sure the painter gets that silver just right

Yes I have one and I ride it from time to time rather than mothball it. It has a crack in the fairing where it touches the clutch cover and a little damage on the bottom fairing. The previous owner painted the tail and didnt replace the decal on the rear - "DUCATI CAMPIONE DEL MONDO SUPERBIKE" . I have reproduced the correct decals for the whole bike and and it will be getting the correct paint as if it came off the production line. Im hoping someone here can steer me in the right direction concerning a pro painter. Im very particular about details even if no one else can see the differences! (I think most of us Ducati riders are like this haha)

It is a rare bike and out of the 3 x 300 run series I think the series II/ silver is the most alluring.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Sky Cloud

·
Registered
2001 S4, 2000 750ie Sport
842 Posts
When you find someone to do your paint can you let us know if there was a paint code used or if it had to be matched to your existing colour?
I'm guessing it would need to be matched.
I don't think that the silver would suit the monster but it certainly looks great on your 916.

·
Registered
Ducati 916 Senna II
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When you find someone to do your paint can you let us know if there was a paint code used or if it had to be matched to your existing colour?
I'm guessing it would need to be matched.
I don't think that the silver would suit the monster but it certainly looks great on your 916.
I have been investigating this bloody thing for years now and the colour codes can differ slightly from the actual paint...believe it r not!
The Senna II silver is a mix apparently so Ill be needing someone with a spectrometer or a really good eye as its a metallic silver. Ive never
known a painter to like painting silver but here we are hahaha

Here are some of the colours Ducati use if that helps.

Colorfulness Font Red Material property Magenta

·
Registered
2001 S4, 2000 750ie Sport
842 Posts
I've seen that chart and a couple of others as well.
The only pre mixed paint I've seen for the senna was from Germany.
I've just been looking for a cheap way to do some touch ups, mainly the frame for now.
Thankfully when I get around to it the monster has bugger all body work to paint.
I think mine is the grigio opaco on that chart but,,,,,,,,,?????????

·
Registered
Ducati 916 Senna II
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've seen that chart and a couple of others as well.
The only pre mixed paint I've seen for the senna was from Germany.
I've just been looking for a cheap way to do some touch ups, mainly the frame for now.
Thankfully when I get around to it the monster has bugger all body work to paint.
I think mine is the grigio opaco on that chart but,,,,,,,,,?????????

Im pretty sure that is the right grey for the Monster.
If you make enquiries at paint places, they may be able to put a spectrometer on your existing colour and match it that way.

Oh the fun..... haha

·
Bon Vivant
12,056 Posts
She's come up fantastic, decals and all. I replaced all the gold fairing and screen fastners along with Dzus clips. New Pirelli Diablo III's and now she's sitting inside hahaa. I refuse to become that guy... I'll take her out soon enough.
Thanks mate 👍
Well I am that guy so excuse me :) I have bikes that I've restored and keep inside the house, it gives me a great deal of pleasure.
Your Sena is spectacular and the display is very appropriate.

I guess I like to work on old bikes more than I like to ride them. But I do ride the new bikes, did a quick 150 miles on the SFV4S today! So much fun!

·
Registered
Ducati 916 Senna II
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well I am that guy so excuse me :) I have bikes that I've restored inside the house it gives me a great deal of pleasure.
Your sena is spectacular and the display is very appropriate
Hahaa no all good my friend, I understand.
I think I getting used to my Kawasaki ninja 300 haha

1 - 20 of 25 Posts