Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there gone out and readjusted their Testa engine to the new 0.002 / 0.005 valve clearances?

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Ehh... If you wanna burn up 1/2 rings, you can do that. But on a street bike, I'd make those closers a bit looser. I usually do .004 for closers and .006 for openers using the standard 1/2 ring system. If you're building a race bike and have the tapered or MBP collate system, you can get away with tighter clearances. But I've never had much success with .002, it always seems too tight.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It's what LT Snyder says is the "new spec" for the Testastretta, from Ducati......

I know nooooooooothing............

I'm kinda leary to change mine because it's running like a top at 0.005 / 0.007!!

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
You can try it, but I always get weary of setting stuff that tight, thats all. I've blown through 1/2 rings like they were going out of style before...

The numbers I've been told to use and have always used on my Desmoquattro's and Testastretta race motors are; .004 closers and .006 openers. Most of the time I go a bit closer on the closers to .003 but that's because I do a valve job 2 times a year and have tapered collates!;)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Closing rocker clearance gap increases with wear and thermal expansion of the valve train.

The larger the gap on the closer, the more impact load they take and more likely to be beaten and break.

Opener on the other hand gets tigher with temp.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Anything above 0 will not bind, binding means surfaces touch, ie 0 or less, in my humble opinion.
I meant the closers, the openers wont affect the closers in any way, the closers rely on the valve ring grooves and the openers rely on the valve tip.

Just turn the cams over and if you feel any resistance they bind, if not youre good.
Of course opening clearances must not be too tight as the gap tightens.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, it will expand, but .002 usually gives some binding, especially if you're not perfect on the openers. It makes the whole process much more difficult to find that .002 and get it right. I've built motors with .002/.004 before, but its very time consuming.
I found pretty poor base-circle roundness on both the opener cam lobes and the closer cam lobes on my 2005 999S. I started measuring the gap at only 1 point, being at 180 degrees from the lobe apex. Just before buttoning things up I decided to spin a cam with the feeler gauge in place..... Whoa!! BIG surprize there!! I found as much as 0.002 difference either way at various points around the circle.

In the interest of maintaining minimum clearance I set things to the tightest point on each of the cam circles. At that time LT suggested taking the care necessary to get 0.005/0.007 closer/opener clearances.

What I wonder, here, is what difference y'all may have found when you tightened things up to the new specs........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts