Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've got a pair of Ducati Performance Remus Exhausts for my 2002 SuperSport I'd like to restore the coating/finish on.

I refinished the Air Deflectors myself a couple years ago, by simply doing a nice light sand, and using a clear enamel with an adhesive promoter for it underneath. Now the Air-Deflectors have a really nice smooth gloss finish to them and that's just great.

Now the exhausts don't seem to quite have the same smooth finish it's a little textured. But what's getting me, is that they seem to have these clear bands around them at are slowly delaminating / falling apart. What are these? If I want to re-finish them properly back to new, what's the steps? Do I simply lightly sand and re-spray clear like the Air Deflectors? Is it best to drill the rivets and and re-rivet them when I'm done? Having a shop do them is quite expensive, and under the current Covid restrictions riding isn't really a priority, so happy to take my time.

20200414_211626.jpg
20200414_184403.jpg
20200414_184346.jpg
20200414_184302.jpg

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
drilling out the rivets is best, but it can be frustrating and they sometimes spin. best to pull the cans apart and get the rivet reminders out before reassembly.

the outers always were that ridgy finish.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
drilling out the rivets is best, but it can be frustrating and they sometimes spin. best to pull the cans apart and get the rivet reminders out before reassembly.

the outers always were that ridgy finish.
Thanks belter, but with that 'ridgy finish' what is that stuff - those bands wrapping it. Should I just clear coat over them, or do they need sanding?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
by ridgy finish i mean the carbon fibre texture.

are you talking about the stainless steel bands the rivets go through?

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you look at the photos, especially the last one, you can see 'clear' (now milky) bands about 2mm wide wrapping the muffler down the entire length of it. In the last photo you can see the bands are starting to pull away from the muffler itself. Look at the first muffler photo and you can see the gaps/joins between each band - these are not the carbon fiber but something else.

·
Bon Vivant
11,458 Posts
The surface texture is from the press they used in curing the resin. The early carbon parts from Ducati did not have any clear paint on them and the resin would fog up and fall apart after a few years. I've refinished a few pieces of this carbon and it comes out quite nice. Your best bet is to take them apart and sand everything down smooth without hitting the fibers and shoot with a good quality automotive 2K clear. They'll come out looking like new.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts