Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I'm a rattlecan lover myself. You did an awesome job on those skins! And that nose piece is beautiful.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Yes sir, nice job.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Awesome job! :)

I love the look of a 749/999 as a track bike (no headlights or mirrors)! :cool:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all. Yes, the 999 is def better looking as a trackbike. I got the Desmo tail used (reason for some cracks) as well as the bodywork that came gloss black. Jury still out on the look of that tail as opposed to the original- that you can see here- TRICKLIDZ: Track bike PAINT- Round two.
As you can see, I've done the professional spray gun route also.

·
Idiot Savant
1,187 Posts
That looks awesome! Wanna come paint mine?

FYI: It would have been faster if you'd painted it red. :p

Seriously well done. :yeah:

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Looks great! Very well done! Only thing I hated with doing my own version of "rattle can" was the blue buggers (GSXR days) and the wife yelling about the smell coming from the basement.:D

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks great! Very well done! Only thing I hated with doing my own version of "rattle can" was the blue buggers (GSXR days) and the wife yelling about the smell coming from the basement.:D
Gotta where a resparator mask!!! I've painted for years in the basement even with the pro guns....but now set up a shop out of the house---much better!!!
All the red paintjobs were done underground.

·
Registered
168 Posts
For a rattle can job that is awesome! I tried myself on some small parts and made a right mess!

Mr C did a similarly good job spraying his wheels in his 999 rebuild using a rattle can, you guys must be doing something different to me, my finish is crap!

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
Incredible paint job. I'll have to get going on my track body now that you've showed us how to do it.

Ron

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Excellent work and outcome with the "rattle" can paint job.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great job !!!!!
Just saw your post on your can job!! Looks fantastic!! Well done.
Glad I could inspire someone. I'll post a link to the professional pics when I get them. Another benefit of the rattlecan job---touch up is simple...I had a spot on the fairing that I messed up once the paint was done and I tried everything to fix it but I found the easiest and best way to fix it was to just mask loosely (not tape to leave hard edge....but hold the back of a piece of sandpaper an inch or so from the surface) and lightly spray at an angle away from the mask the color, then some clear. DONE! Maybe the matte clear makes this easier, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looks great. I rattle canned my rims with epoxy and looks like I powder-coated them and just as durable. I have seen some awesome paint jobs done by spray cans (including this one) and it all comes down to prep, application, wet-sanding and buffing. I recently saw a 69 Camaro project where everything was painted by spray can and the results were amazing, couldn't even tell it from a pro job.
+1 for the paint job. Will be doing this soon if I get some race fairings. Painting them the xerox style and no decals. drawing and taping everything off. Might ask for some tips here soon.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Some beautifully taken pics there!

I've got a DSLR with a few decent lenses, but not an ounce of creative flair, and you just can't buy that!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts