Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

461 - 480 of 482 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Hi Rossco, Good to hear from you.

The bike is looking great. I don't think that you will need the steering damper if the forks are sprung right. My guess is that the head shaking on the S2 and late Hailwood was because the factory used the same fork springs on all bevel models and the weight of the fairings was just too much for the springs. My S2 has handled perfectly since I got rid of the Pantah fairing, and now I have custom fork springs from Racetech and radial tyres I would rate the handling as outstanding.

How's the PHD coming along?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #462 (Edited)
Hi Colin,

Yeah its probably overkill but it wasn't expensive and you can't be too careful, I figured the damper would match the shocks. I scavenged a period Daytona damper for the s2. The reason why I have not had the same issues as others is probably because I changed out the standard springs to stiffer WP progressive units years ago.

I think I'll tackle the front brakes next, its a mess up there ATM.

My study is progressing OK thanks, I've written heaps of it already but its kind of one step forward and two steps back. The stats look great. This is a real journey and academics are generally hard to deal with.

Thanks for the reply buddy.
Rossco:grin2:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #464
FPS Rear brake question.

Hi lads,

Just a quick question in relation to the rear FPS wheel.
The pic below is of the MHR rear wheel brake disc seat, as you can see it is shimmed about 14mm.
Otherwise the wheel appears to be the same as the 900s2 FPS rear wheels. The markings are identical.
Has anybody seen this before? Was it normal for the MHR or has this wheel been repaired.

Been busy, I fabricated the lower fairing mounts, getting the angles to the ducts right was painful and took hours. The mounts are ready to be sprayed and fitted. Pads and front guard should be here on Monday.
Organised a painter to spray the front guard and wider swingarm.

Rossco :nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #466
Hi Brad,

Maybe but the markings are 3/82; E 250 X 18; WM4; DOT FPS.
Same as the rear dimension markings on me S2. Both have 120 18 rear tyres fitted.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #468
Hi Brad,

Thanks for taking the time to post.
That is why I was asking, I have two rear wheels for my '84S2, both are the same as the pic you have posted in the disc mounts. I thought the front was a 215 WM-3 on these bikes, which takes a narrower tyre.

Luck lad having an '82SS. My all time fav.

Rossco :grin2:

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Hi Rossco,

Hmm, something weird there with the rear wheel, which is definitely not normal. 14mm is a large amount to shim out and I'm wondering if the rear wheel has been machined down for some reason, perhaps to fit a non-standard disc, or whether the wheel is off something else. A mystery.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #471
My guess is that they stripped the carrier bolts and machined it as a repair. The disc carrier is standard. I'll pull it off this week and we'll see. I'll post some pics when I do.

Starting to wonder if these parts actually came out of the factory together or possibly whether the bike was cannibalized then the leftovers were bodged for sale later. Caveat emptor.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Very strange; if they stripped the threads then it would have been easier to helicoil them or drill and tap them in a different position. I'm wondering if they had fitted a disc with a different offset? But why go to all that trouble? You will probably never know.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #473
Yeah Colin that's what I think.
The bearing seat appears to be separate from the mag.

Beginning to wonder if i shouldn't just buy one of these.

Rossco:nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Me too! I might ask for one for Christmas. I'd like to get Vee Two to build me a new bevel to my requirements, but it will have to be when I'm reincarnated now, although by that point all fossil fuel vehicles will be banned as will anything that allows you to enjoy yourself.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #475 (Edited)
Hi Lads,

I finished the fairing mounts and installed the new pads. There is something weird going on with the lines. The RHS bleeds fine but the LHS just pulls air. So I decided to replace the fluid. What is the go? I usually use 4.1 but Ill need to clean the lines and master so I can swap it to 5.1, what is everyone using?

I usually push the fluid up from the caliper to the master then bleed it the usual way.

I could be going mad but the fluid in it smells like mineral oil. My KTM has mineral oil in its clutch line, real bugger to work with.

The brake lines are braided but not covered with nylon. Really tempted to swap them out while I'm at it. What do you recon?

I really like spokes on an S2 900.
Random pic from bikesales, no affiliation.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Hi Rossco,

Can't help you really, I can't even remember what the last brake fluid that I used was, but coming to the refusal to bleed, it has got to be due to an air lock somewhere, unless there is an air leak. I have heard of people having real problems and it is usually solved by unbolting the caliper and turning it upside down to free the air, or maybe removing the reservoir and turning it to different angles to free trapped air, although as your problem is only on one caliper, that should not be an issue.

There is no doubt that the black covered brake lines look more authentic, but it depends on how much work you wish to get into. I really like the look of the spoked wheels, which is why I have them on my S2, although I wish that I had gone for wider rims. I stuck to the original sizes because I was frightened of clearance issues, but that would not have been a problem and then my tyres would have had the correct profile. too late now.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #477
I really like the look of the spoked wheels, which is why I have them on my S2, although I wish that I had gone for wider rims. I stuck to the original sizes because I was frightened of clearance issues, but that would not have been a problem and then my tyres would have had the correct profile. too late now.
I'm just looking at that now. Issue seems to be that Avon don't make a 140 x 18 x 80, unfortunately that leaves 150 or 130 to choose from. I think 70 profile looks weird from the side.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Hi Rossco,

Whatever tyres you choose, I can't recommend radials high enough. Every time I go out on my S2 I am reminded at how amazing the handling is since I fitted the Conti radials; the bike handles like a modern bike and the ride is so much smoother; it's a real pleasure to go through the corners.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #479
Hi Colin,

I guess I'm not using AVONS then as they are cross-ply tyres.
Had a message from Michael at Belt and Bevel. The rear wheel is off a TL/ 500 parallel twin, which had a wider rear disc; mystery solved. Its gotta go because the disc has a tight spot.

Rossco

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Hi Rossco,

Well done at solving the wheel poser, who'd have thought it? I wonder what happened to the original wheel? If you wish to use it, how about getting an engineering company to turn up a spacer? It would be easy to do. Actually, I've just remembered, when researching if I could use non-standard discs, I came across a shop selling spacers to fit under the discs on bevel Ducatis and Laverdas, so alternatives could be used, but I can't remember where, probably eBay.

461 - 480 of 482 Posts