Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

441 - 460 of 482 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #443
What about one of those new Vee Two replicas??
I think you still need to buy a donor bike for the frame and the engine is like $35k aud or 20k gbp. Really nice but past me. I do have some bits off their donor MHR though:grin2:. This is essentially a pic thread so a couple of pics. I like the look of the back of it, that is proper that is.

What about Eldert's initial post eh? I am wondering if he found one of the '76 bikes. That would be a project:surprise:. Engine parts would be outrageously expensive just thinking about it scares me.

I ended up ordering '78 style glass and seat as per the French Mille I posted. Found a glass maker in Italy and a NOS seat in the Netherlands.

Rossco

Attachments

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
It's coming along, you must be quite close to the finished article.

BTW, I got out for a ride on my S2 last week after a break of about six weeks, and it was magic! Just slicing through corners with the Contis roaring, even at my age it was like drugs. Mind you, it was bloody cold; by the time I reached half way I couldn't feel my fingers and when I got home I wrapped myself in a blanket and endured the agony of frozen fingers coming back to life. The pleasure and the pain.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #445
It's coming along, you must be quite close to the finished article.
Yes Colin most of the bones are finished. I am keen to fire it up, but there are lots of little bits and pieces to get done. Hoping to have my S2 registered on vintage plates in the next couple of months, I have just been trying to decide if I should spray the tank before I put petrol in it.

I went riding the other day just in town in shorts and a T shirt. Way too humid for leathers.

·
Registered
239 Posts
What about Eldert's initial post eh? I am wondering if he found one of the '76 bikes. That would be a project:surprise:. Engine parts would be outrageously expensive just thinking about it scares me.

I ended up ordering '78 style glass and seat as per the French Mille I posted. Found a glass maker in Italy and a NOS seat in the Netherlands.

Rossco
Hi Guys

no such luck as a 76 NCR . what i have is a liteweight Verlicchi frame . got it thru some horserading with 450 desmo parts .

found a steel MHR tank . picked up some Marzocchi bottom sliders in Italy . mated them to 38 mm Kayaba stancions from a Yamaha . had the sliders machined for the Kayaba sliding bushings .

found some hubs so i am going for spoked wheels

run in to a 860 GT cheap so that is gonne be the donor bike

Eldert

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
A Melbourne importer just sold an 83MHR in original condition on ebay for $16k, but it could easily have been much higher, someone got a bargain.

..... ah yes that would be me, 1985 electric start 900 MHR, stripped it bare, giving it some loving.

Chasing some header pipes, as each part gets restored another part stands out as dog balls :(

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #448
Hi RAD,

Nice bike mate. I have often wondered if the NCR fairings scrape like the MHR ones.
I have to admit I really dig the headlight setup.
Did you move to Qld?
$16k is a steal for any MHR.

I have been doing a little bit, the single seat base turned up.
Murphy's law says it doesn't fit with the MK1 single seat.

Note to self, don't just assume. The single seat is bigger... who knew.
BTW the post I made earlier, the grey seat is the Pantah & the red is the MHR.

Anyway I have resolved to start from scratch and fabricate the seat base...
Also the tank badges for the s2 turned up, so now I can get the tank sprayed.

Cheers for the post buddy.
Rossco :nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #449 (Edited)
Hi lads,

Despite resisting the temptation to post every development, quite a bit has been going on. It is almost cool enough in the workshop to get down there and do some stuff other than pour beer out of the kegerator.

I sent the s2 tank off to the painter along with a couple of tunnelrider's badges.
It came back really nice, big thanks to Eldert because the condition of the tank made this much easier. I'll post some pics when I get the bike out again.

The MHR is a different story. This seat unit is doing my head in, I bought a seat unit and two seats.They all fit, just not with each other :surprise:. The glass seat unit has also been cut about 2" too short. Bugger.

To the point, does anyone know where I can get one of these? I'll make one if need be but I'd much rather fit an original part.

Rossco

Attachments

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Hi Rossco,

That seat bracket must be available - somewhere. Do you have a part number? I'm guessing that you've tried all the usual suspects? Ian Gowanloch maybe, but contacting him is supposed to be a trial. Road and Race made me a seat for my 750 Sport and they made the brackets for that....

·
Registered
126 Posts
077085050. Connection - says you need 2 of them and I'm amazed it's a part.

I'd either just make it or call Road and Race. Can't imagine they've sold too many before so maybe some shop will actually have one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I concur, looks fabulous Rosco. I do like those 'Mille' badges. Feel free to tell me where to go or look further back in your thread, would you mind telling me what or where you got the 'S' fairing (is it called that?) from please? If I was gonna put a fairing back on my Pantah I'd be looking for one similar to yours. I'm not very fond of the Pantah's fairing so I dress it without one.
Nice work.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #456
Hi TR,

The fairing is a standard SS fairing from Gowanloch.
The headlight has also been changed to suit, the setup is inspired by the 1982 900SS.
The fairing needed a lower and upper mount, also available.

Although the changes are cosmetic, I think if they made the S2 like this they would have sold more of them because it looks, well... right.
Rossco:grin2:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi TR,

The fairing is a standard SS fairing from Gowanloch.
The headlight has also been changed to suit, the setup is inspired by the 1982 900SS.
The fairing needed a lower and upper mount, also available.

Although the changes are cosmetic, I think if they made the S2 like this they would have sold more of them because it looks, well... right.
Thanks for that Rossco and Duccout, I've seen photos of the SS half fairings and thought they were pretty cool, def suit a big capacity 900 like yours's.
Rossco, what size are the forks, and off the MHR?
Cheers
Dan

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #460
Update

Hi Colin,

Given some of the authenticity posts on threads elsewhere I was unsure if I should continue to post about my bike. Anyway here goes...:nerd:

I just thought I would post a quick post to up-date progress.
I scavenged a set of sidecovers off an '83 900 and decided to fit them up.
They were missing because the rear tail section had been lifted about an inch.
Bugger not even close to fitting. Like my mate Mick says problems cause other problems...

The rear ram tube had to be replaced...
Got over it. Modified the orientation of the tail section to fit with the sidecovers.
Fitted some type70 posh indicators to match the tail light as a nod to the bike's heritage.

The result is a stunner in the flesh, the rear looks standard but way better.

Apparently the frame is shit. I think it will work with weight matched springs at either end like my 900s2 but regardless I decided to fit a steering damper just in case.

The NCR fairing is super tight to the bike so it took days to figure out how to get it on there at a standard of fit I could live with.

The pic makes the angle look steeper than it is in reality. Ill swap the forward mount under the fork clamp when the fairing is off and the fit will be optimal.

The damper was chosen to compliment the back shocks. Accordingly it is an Ohlins item scavenged from a Ducati wreck.

Next up is wiring the pickups, brake pads and rearsets.

Attachments

441 - 460 of 482 Posts