Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

381 - 400 of 482 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Rossco,
The baffle looks to be less flowing than the Conti as well. Given that 2 pipes are feeding it there may be a bit more back pressure than you would like. I finished my SS replica and it is on Bevel Heaven! Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
120 Posts
Looks fab Ian (and a bargain for what it is).

Ducati singles - done/Laverda triples - done/SFC - done/850 MV America - done/75 SS - done/Green Frame SS - done.

What's next?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Thanks for posting Rossco. I didn't want to put up a photo to hijack your thread.
Chris, you forgot the SB2! I really don't know what is next but I will probably chase a 75 SS. Cheers all
Ian

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #389
I didn't want to put up a photo to hijack your thread.
Feel free to post up what you want Ian. I just appreciate everyone's experience and advice.

Wow, why haven't I looked through this thread before... Excellent stuff
It was heaps better before PI moved servers and cut all the links to pics. I tried to put them up again but I can't edit the earlier posts.

It always has been a bit of a rambling thread lol
ITs back... g'day Pennywise.

Update on progress.

I've got all the parts I need to complete the build. Ive talked to the painter and he is ready to go, there is just a little bit of fabrication to do on the swing-arm. Also unfortunately it is powder-coated so it will take some preparation. The plan is to spray it with the fairing.

Will do some work on it this weekend, so I'll take some pics.

Thanks for reading lads.
Rossco

Back in the day.:grin2:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #390 (Edited)
Wheels

Hi everyone,

I have been grappling with cush drive components because I bought the Dymag wheels that Colin linked for me. I thought they were a bargain at $600 AUD freshly power-coated and crack tested. Widths are 3" and 3.5" and they are even satin black right...

They are genuine survivors and the cush drive predates what Dymag calls the 'early hub' design. After a few days head scratching I think I either need to send them to my frame and wheels guy Dave and have a modern cush drive fitted or rebuild the vintage hub. I am leaning toward the latter because it is period and will bolt straight on. The disadvantage is that sprockets will need to be custom made, because the sprocket is integral to the cush drive.

I'll get some rubbers and post some pics later today so you can see. Hopefully someone will know where to source a couple of sprockets, probably Dave again.

Just wanted to link this 900ss (860GT??). I have a cracking rat V8 tonner ute and really affiliate with this type of neglect.

There are lots of pics from broadford here...

About 2 years ago I read a 900ss rebuild thread, it directly inspired this build. I had lost it and try as I might in all that time I couldn't find it. Have a look... Its a fantastic read.

Rossco:grin2:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #392
Hi Colin,

Yeah the sprocket will need to be machined from a blank.
It is a super simple setup, I am fairly sure I can make the cush from generally available sway bar bushes.
I'll just need to get Kellet to fabricate a couple.
It is worth it the wheels are beautiful.

Rossco

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #394
Cush drive, well sort of...

Sure Ian,

Back cush/ hub mounting points.

Same hub different perspective.

Image from the powder coater, tester's site (yep the lister's story checked out).

Pic of cush drive.
The sprocket has 1" holes that align with the bolt holes in the hub of the mag. The rubbers fit into the holes with a metal retainer on either side of the sprocket. You can see the marks from where it has been metal on metal.

Another image of the setup. The rubbers will need to be cut to size to fit the width of each individual sprocket. The sprocket will need to be custom machined to fit the rubbers. Simple.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #395

A set on an egli framed bitza, in gold.

Still tossing up, the Egli has a modern hub setup, I know where to scavange one. Really tempted to buy it and take both up to visit Dave.

Current setup size diameter 24mm, width 9mm, inside 12mm.
I can easily make some rubbers to fit, in fact I think I know a mob in England to order them from.
What do you recon lads?:grin2:

Rossco:nerd:

Oh yeah... random NCR engine:wink2:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
Yeah Colin,

Emailed them last week. No reply.
Down in the cellar earlier and took a few workshop pics.

Engine detail.

Wheels and tanks.

Non-exhaust side shot.

S2 and 220 litres of craft beer.:grin2:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #398
The other option is to have Dave cut them down and fit mounting points for a standard cush drive.
They are available from Gowies at a reasonable price.

The more I think about it the more I like this option, however I would need to re-powder coat the rim.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Rossco,
Thanks for the photos, I now am up to speed. Have you tried Ian Gowanloch or Ron Young? It is quite surprising what they can come up with. I got an original MHR fairing from Ron who had it in his ceiling since 1983. Also, if you go with the hub from Gowies check that it is an original one and not one from ORS/Hdesa. I had a bit of a fitment issue with the ORS one that went on my replica.
Those dymags are really nice! Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #400
Cheers for the reply Ian.
I am down there working in a couple of weeks so I'll give Ron Young a ca, give him a look and see what he thinks.

Rossco

381 - 400 of 482 Posts