Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

361 - 380 of 482 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Good point. The sad part as Rossco mentioned are the number of collections over here. There was nearly 10,000 bevels imported into Australia (of all varieties) so where are they? Over 1000 were 900 square case SS's. I know of 4 blokes who between them they have well over 200 singles and twins, add my one, your couple and there's gotta be still a shit load rusting away in people's sheds.

I wonder if interest rates did rise would a collector sell? I'd be more concerned about whether there's going to be any petrol around by 2050 and if you're even allowed to use them still. Car manufacturers have already started planning towards zero emission vehicles so who knows.

I'd just love to see more bikes on the road so parts would be sold for their worth and not their value. Everything made can be fixed or rebuilt.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #362
In NZ a lot of the new to market (s/hand) Ducati's are Japanese Imports, mostly later model stuff but some early stuff, MHR's and other Bevels.
The word from my local importer is that the Japanese bevels have dried up. They said it was good while it lasted but becoming rare now.

Here's a question: if world interest rates rose to something like 10%, would all the collectors unload their bikes? Are classic bikes a commodity like shares, to be bought and sold as the market dictates?
Yeah I think that happens. But they have bought them as an asset, so probably selling at premium outlets. In some ways the value of the things is a real pain, don't you think? We looked at a 81 ss900 last year and my mrs offered the business owner $35K cash for it, but he refused to sell. He will sell it but he has no need ATM.

The engine looks like a square case with round cases. ss750 Racer Phillip Island Pits 2009, pic Lukey.

Rossco:nerd:

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you're on the hunt there's a 1976 900 SS and an 860 GT up my way that the owner reckons he'll sell. A few years ago he told me wanted $25,000 for it. He also wanted $25,000 for the 860 so I don't know how serious he was. The 76 SS is about where I'd put a GT on my desirability list so I forgot about it but I'm pretty sure they're still sitting in his shed.

The Team Stranglers is an interesting animal - 750 round case engine in an SS frame. Similar to mine.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #364
If you're on the hunt there's a 1976 900 SS and an 860 GT up my way that the owner reckons he'll sell. A few years ago he told me wanted $25,000 for it. He also wanted $25,000 for the 860 so I don't know how serious he was.
Thanks M35 but I'm out of space. I litterally wouldnt have anywhere to put another bevel. Guess that mens that I need to get this one right!

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you're on the hunt there's a 1976 900 SS and an 860 GT up my way that the owner reckons he'll sell. A few years ago he told me wanted $25,000 for it. He also wanted $25,000 for the 860 so I don't know how serious he was. The 76 SS is about where I'd put a GT on my desirability list so I forgot about it but I'm pretty sure they're still sitting in his shed.

The Team Stranglers is an interesting animal - 750 round case engine in an SS frame. Similar to mine.
This SS is Chris McRay 's from up Kyogle way is a square case 76 ss i think with a round case clutch cover on it . He's raced it for years.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #367 (Edited)
Sad to say but my early '79 SS is up for sale and someone is coming to look at it today.
Bugger. I feel your pain brother.

This SS is Chris McRay 's from up Kyogle way is a square case 76 ss i think with a round case clutch cover on it . He's raced it for years.
Yeah is it me or do the engine castings look different. Probably my imagination. ps I recon the shape of the rear header is different.

Couple of Phillip Island pics for the lads. Vale on a 250? 2005? Pic me.

The old girl has made the trip a few times. Here among the carnage.
Cracking year this year. Forgot when. Pic me.

Thanks for looking boys.
Rossco:nerd:

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #368
Sorry everyone,
My image hosting site closed down after being swamped by migrants from the ransom hosting sites, and having its cloud storage disappear.
Investigating alternative options ATM.

Rossco

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #370
Hi Colin,

No my diploma has been going good.
Had a couple of months indisposed whilst my shoulder healed.
The MHR is coming along nicely. The fairing is nearing finishing and ready for painting.

Rossco

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #371 (Edited)
Just a couple of images to refresh my memory on where the build was up to.

PI seems to be back up in a different location, I'll give them a few days and see if I can put some of the images back in this thread.

Sorry lads.
Rossco

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #372
Exhaust Pipe Question.

Hi Lads,

I ordered a 2:1 pipe from a local exhaust maker.
I sent him this pic to show him what I wanted.

Anyway he made a reverse cone design, which is already on the bike, so I resent the image and he said he would make a Conti style 2:1.

My Question.
The pipe turned up yesterday and is really nice, but the inside diameter of the baffle is 36mm. A normal 2:2 Conti measures 45mm with my calipers. I would think in a 2:1 it needs to be closer to 50mm is to work on a big twin, what size baffle will flow enough to make it run properly?

The top pipe is the 2:1, the bottom is a genuine Conti.
I don't suppose anyone has a Conti 2:1 that they can measure.

Any help appreciated. I am fairly sure the pipe at the top is too small but I don't want to send it back if it is OK.

Rossco

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #373
Reposting some of the best pics

Hi Guys,

There were some cracking pics on here before PI moved.
Just thought I might re-post some I liked as we went...

Mad NCR with tt900 fairing.

Japanese MHR with modern marvics.

Rat MHR tank.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #376

Couple of 900s2 pics, er where were we with that, oh yeah I know the frame is shit and it looks like a 1989 Volvo station wagon from the front. But it is mine and I like it:nerd:

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
Hi Rossco, long time no hear, glad you are doing ok. Are your injuries all healed now? God, I don't know about the exhaust, I would guess that your gut feeling that it is too small a bore is right, why else would the original Conti be much bigger? I wonder if the guy could fit a larger bore baffle without too much trouble?

Thanks for the great pics. Do you know anything about the 900S2 with the Hailwood tank? It seems to fit with the standard seat ok and I'm still looking at options for when/if my tank rusts through.

Colin

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #379
Hi Colin,

Sorry, been tied up with a desert ride and working on my Diploma from sunshine TAFE.
Yeah, all healed and making craft beer (280litres of all-grain over the last two weekends).
I'm up to starting building again, I've just got a couple of small things to fix on the KTM but 8000k of rocks and sand will do that.

The black S2 was for sale about 6 months ago. The tank is an NCR replica, they are a similar shape to the MHR tank but usually have an aircraft filler cap and an ugly forward facing breather. The seat is not original, it is off a mille and the front has been modified to suit, this bike would have originally had a rubber seat same as ours. It sold in a few weeks and personally I think it looks great, although I'm not over fussed about the colour scheme.

My exhaust guy was happy to bump the baffle out to 2 inches so I'm sending it back. The header pipes he made are awesome I'll put them on and post some pics. The bike is on the hoist so I think I'm going to be working on it.

Cheers for looking Colin.

Rossco:nerd: #1 Ducati nerd.

361 - 380 of 482 Posts