Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 482 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day lads,

Started a new thread to document my progress on the rat Jappa MHR I bought.
At present there are no carbs or manifold, it has a non-genuine fairing and is painted in NCR Pantah colours. The headlight, indicators and tail light are all missing, along with fuel taps, pedal rubbers and tank rubbers.

But as the pickers would say it exists.
I'll take some detail pics tomorrow.

Next it is its '84 S2 sister.

Round case decals.

My S2 is a standard vintage bike. This, well its a blank canvas.

Rossco:grin2:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what's the story of how you came into possession of it? You knew it was a "fixer-upper" when you chased after it?
Yeah I bought it from a local importer/ exporter. He had 4-5 of them but the others were out of my poverty ass price range. The '79 he has is awesome and pristine. He was working on a '76 900ss and a '74 750ss the other day when I went there. This was cheap enough to leave a healthy budget for parts. The attraction was that it has 19xxx km on it. Overall condition is consistent with the kms.

I considered a Laverda as well but getting hold of one proved impossible without importing it myself. This was here and I have my S2 and all the experience involved with keeping that running without a local dealer anywhere around.

So I started searching for another bevel and found out they are really thin on the ground now, and I can't believe how much people are asking for high km Darmahs, 750 & 860GTs. I think it is interesting that a 900S2 can still be found at half reasonable prices. Probably because of the garbage IF wrote years ago and everyone blindly believed. You just need to embrace the Volvo front quarter look of them.

My S2 was in storage for 15years till a conversation with Duccout convinced me to get it out of mothballs again. Here it is the day I dragged it out.

Over the years I have resisted the temptation to change the glass on it. I just think it is what it is, ugly as buggery. Duccout has almost convinced me to change the fairing to lighten the front. Years ago I matched the spring rates to my weight, handling has always been excellent.:grin2:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks pretty good to me. There is not much to do to make it decent is there? I would keep it as it is and just source the missing parts.
How did I know you were going to say that?.
I had never seen one of these before. They are really small and basic.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Couple of images from back in the day, 2004? Moto GP with my little lady. The 900SL was and still is hers:grin2:

She rode like a lunatic at the time.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I wish that I had your problem of what to do with your MHR rossco. It all depends on your enthusiasm and how full your wallet is. I would leave most things as they are to save money!

Seriously, the rear light looks ok and the fairing looks good too, although an SS fairing looks great on those bikes and is very practical. All the talk of bad handling from IF was backed up by problems in Germany apparently - the German authorities were considering banning S2s. IMHO, the steering wobble was caused by the weight distribution; my 750 Sport was exactly the same if I strapped my camping gear on the back, and I've still got vivid memories of handlebars shaking all over the place whilst crossing the Alps on it. My S2 is solid as a rock after it's diet.

Your S2 is kickstart, I wonder if it is much lighter than an electric start bike? Have you still got the big battery on there? I saved about 10 lbs by switching to a Red Top battery, which although tiny has never failed to start the engine.

You mention that bevel prices are high in OZ, I looked at the Raider Moto website the other day and could not believe how much they want for their bikes; is that a true reflection of bevel prices down under? I'd always hoped to add a Darmah to my garage, but no chance now.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I recon the rear shocks never worked very well either, especially with some weight.
Konis improved the situation out of sight.

Headlight is interesting. It has an external chromed bucket. I don't know for sure but I think the original Bosch pantah light might be inside. The lense is not Bosch but nicely convex.

The fairing is similar to the upper part of a Series 2 MHR fairing, but much smaller.

The screen is roached. Fairing mounts are genuine.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pipe is a Velicchi 2:1 in really nice condition.
Yeah it came from Raider Duccout, they were good to deal with.
They are about a block away from home. I have no association with them, this was just affordable.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
It all looks good to me, I wouldn't alter anything. Replacing the carbs and manifolds will be the expensive bit. They are available new, but will cost a fair bit.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looked at the Raider Moto website the other day and could not believe how much they want for their bikes; is that a true reflection of bevel prices down under?
Yes.
A nice condition late model MHR will set you back 15-18000 GBP.
Early ones will be more if you can find one.
High milage Darmahs are appearing in the 10-15000GBP range. They sell too.

Have you still got the big battery on there? I saved about 10 lbs by switching to a Red Top battery
Yes on both bikes, but it occurred to me it is not necessary on a kick-start bike.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It all looks good to me, I wouldn't alter anything. Replacing the carbs and manifolds will be the expensive bit.
You know what the more I clean it up and fix stuff, the more I think you might be right. It came with carbs n manifolds, they just need to find what they did with them :surprise:

The rubber for the back brake is just not on the bike ATM, I will need to order a new bolt so I would be appreciative of an address for one of those please.

Today i discovered there are back brake and clutch issues.

·
Tightly Clenched...
957 Posts
Ah, so this is the one they wanted to sell "before refurbishing"? It's still on the website I think. I was looking to buy a 916 from them but it was already sold, they seem slow to update the site.

I don't think the prices they have are realistic, if you look on Bikesales MHR's asking prices for a lot less than they are asking and for Aussie delivered bikes. I mean, $35 to $40 grand for an MHR, $45 grand for a 750GT? The S2 I was looking at last month was $16500, I bought my Darmah last year for $13000...

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Ducati Königswelle - Werkzeuge - Nachfertigungen - Ersatzteile Scroll down here and you'll find the gear lever bolts.

I guess that the clutch plates are stuck together? You might have to take off the side cover and separate them with a screwdriver. The rear caliper pistons are seized? You may be able to work them back and forth using brake fluid as a lubricant.

What did Raider do with the carbs? I'm guessing that they robbed them to use on another bike.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't think the prices they have are realistic, if you look on Bikesales MHR's asking prices for a lot less than they are asking and for Aussie delivered bikes.
Spinellis also have a couple also ATM. I really liked their Mille.
People must buy bikes from Raider. Trust me they are snowed under. Remembering those prices are for restored bikes. Some people just want to buy a bike that looks new and they can just get on and ride.

A Melbourne importer just sold an 83MHR in original condition on ebay for $16k, but it could easily have been much higher, someone got a bargain.

I bought my Darmah last year for $13000..
I looked at the pics. It is a really nice bike, (I bags the back shocks). I think that it would cost significantly more now. SA has lots of bevels, maybe a little easier to get hold of down there. Used to head down and do Norton Summit & Chain of Ponds rd with the Adelaide club. I think the S2 price is more realistic, but it is an S2 after all, so prices will always be lower.:grin2:

backed up by problems in Germany apparently - the German authorities were considering banning S2s
Yep I read where IF wrote that too, except the first time it was MHR Milles. I am unaware of any ban that was ever imposed anywhere. Having said that they are Germans I'm an Aussie, I don't always understand what they do.

What did Raider do with the carbs? I'm guessing that they robbed them to use on another bike.
Maybe, dunno, don't really care as long as they find them again.

I guess time will tell but I spent some time working on the MHR last night, and so far its been fairly good. I am really amazed how much surface corrosion is present. I think due to the boat ride and quarantine.

Thanks for the replies lads.:grin2:

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i was thinking about the German Authorities considering banning the '85 MHR/S2 series. I believe that this is simply not plausible. Consider these :surprise::

Anybody who has ridden either of these will understand what I mean. The Germans invented the Adventure bike segment on their own. They still own it along with their immediate neighbours. Proof of my understanding can be found in the background of the S2 pic I posted.

So I am explicit, I think both of the bikes I have referenced are really cool. But seriously? :wink2:

·
Tightly Clenched...
957 Posts
Spinellis also have a couple also ATM. I really liked their Mille.
.... I am really amazed how much surface corrosion is present. I think due to the boat ride and quarantine...:
I was talking with John(?) Spinelli about the 851 he has for sale (I was thinking of buying a "future classic" you see, either a 916, F1 or 851, ended up with a Hyper EVO because, along with the '76 SS I had, it's one of the few bikes I really regret selling and it's actually fantastic fun to ride). The corrosion is something I really noticed in his pics too and I guess your thinking on it is probably accurate as all the bikes seem to have it. Is the application of a little elbow grease enough to get rid of it?

1 - 20 of 482 Posts