Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wish I could say I'm pleased with this thing....I mean I'm not entirely disappointed, but definitely a little aggravated. I did the plug and play auto adapt process, and that was unimpressive. After 500 or so miles the bike is just flat, feels restrained, down on power and less than 150 miles to a tank of fuel. I got a chance to diddle with it some this afternoon, found the .mpp file for a '19 1260 in the RB software folder, uploaded it and went for a ride. This one is much better, bike is snappy and a lot livelier than before, so that's nice......pulled a plug and it didn't look awful so fingers crossed. Before I left I noticed the auto adapt map was all zero's now, and when I came back those #'s had changed, so I assume it's building off the .mpp I uploaded? Or building from an all zero's map? I've no idea since the software manual doesn't really explain anything. I also read in another forum that I'm supposed to go a couple hundred miles, then take the auto adapted map, set it as the base map and go a couple hundred miles again, set that auto adapt map to the base, etc. etc. Unfortunately the software manual doesn't explain much of anything, soooo. I pulled the auto adapt map and saved it, then pulled it up and uploaded to the unit, but the map values matched the original .mpp and not what I thought I had saved. Has anyone been down this road or do you all just install it and forget about it? I'll put a bunch of miles on it with the .mpp for the 1260, if the mileage comes up to a reasonable level I'll probably call it good.

·
Registered
683 Posts
The auto adapt trim cell maximum was set at +/-7 on my Panigale.
You can increase this range of +/- which has improved the performance of my bike without resorting to saving the first post 200 mile ride map as a new baseline.

·
Registered
112 Posts
You can't "pull" auto adapt map or apply it to the base map, like with Power Commander software. This is a huge limitation of RB software and I hope they will implement this functionality on the future.
You can't even copy/paste auto adapt table values! BTW, could you take screenshots of both auto adapt tables and post them here?

·
Premium Member
3,326 Posts
The software is definitely poorly documented... I am unaware of any automatic way to apply the adaptive map to the base map - and there are no instructions on how to do it manually. I believe the way you'd do it is to add each adaptive cell number to the corresponding base map cell (adaptive numbers can be positive or negative and are adjustments FROM the baseline)

Don't just replace the base map with the adaptive map... if my understanding of how it works is correct (and again this is from a telephone discussion), that would not give you the desired outcome.

·
Registered
683 Posts
The software is definitely poorly documented... I am unaware of any automatic way to apply the adaptive map to the base map - and there are no instructions on how to do it manually. I believe the way you'd do it is to add each adaptive cell number to the corresponding base map cell (adaptive numbers can be positive or negative and are adjustments FROM the baseline)

Don't just replace the base map with the adaptive map... if my understanding of how it works is correct (and again this is from a telephone discussion), that would not give you the desired outcome.
True that. I've tried replacing the base map with an adaptive map. The result was not great. Increasing the trim was much better in my case.

·
Registered
112 Posts
...I believe the way you'd do it is to add each adaptive cell number to the corresponding base map cell (adaptive numbers can be positive or negative and are adjustments FROM the baseline) ...
I'd do the same, but only if RB clearly documents that the meaning of numbers in auto adapt map is the same as in base map. I didn't find this info. Otherwise, you're just adding apples to oranges.
The logic is pretty simple - it's very easy to implement "Apply" function in the software, but they didn't. Maybe there is a reason why they didn't do that?
Also the minimum value in the base (not auto adapt) map is -10 and it's NOT configurable. In my case, few cells (if I simply add the auto adapt value to the base map value) require lower than -10 value which is impossible to set.
All these makes me think that auto adapt values and base map values are not the same (like with PC software).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did notice in the auto adapt map, you can right click on a cell and a "apply values" (or some such wording) option comes up. Clicking that seemed to add the values to the other map, i.e if a particular cell in the map read '5', and the corresponding cell in the auto adapt map read '5', the cell value in the map will read '10' after applying. But, since I can't even find any info. on what these fucking #'s even mean, I've no idea what result that gives.

I'd do the same, but only if RB clearly documents that the meaning of numbers in auto adapt map is the same as in base map. I didn't find this info. Otherwise, you're just adding apples to oranges.
The logic is pretty simple - it's very easy to implement "Apply" function in the software, but they didn't. Maybe there is a reason why they didn't do that?
Also the minimum value in the base (not auto adapt) map is -10 and it's NOT configurable. In my case, few cells (if I simply add the auto adapt value to the base map value) require lower than -10 value which is impossible to set.
All these makes me think that auto adapt values and base map values are not the same (like with PC software).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The auto adapt trim cell maximum was set at +/-7 on my Panigale.
You can increase this range of +/- which has improved the performance of my bike without resorting to saving the first post 200 mile ride map as a new baseline.
What does that do? I mean I know it allows the cells in the map to increase up/down by the set numeric value, but what does that # mean? If a cell reads 5 or -5 what does that # represent?

·
Registered
683 Posts
What does that do? I mean I know it allows the cells in the map to increase up/down by the set numeric value, but what does that # mean? If a cell reads 5 or -5 what does that # represent?
I best understand it as the digital representation of a rich / lean adjustment.
For example: a positive value indicate that the sensors required more fuel and the RB unit increased the digit to a number corresponding to the amount of fuel required to re-balance the AFR of that particular cell.
Every engine model is different. In the Panigale's case below, the Superquadro engine was particularly lean at lower RPM's in the mid-range to meet emission standards. Notice the large enrichment adjustments.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
I did notice in the auto adapt map, you can right click on a cell and a "apply values" (or some such wording) option comes up. Clicking that seemed to add the values to the other map, i.e if a particular cell in the map read '5', and the corresponding cell in the auto adapt map read '5', the cell value in the map will read '10' after applying. But, since I can't even find any info. on what these fucking #'s even mean, I've no idea what result that gives.
Good finding! Don't know how I missed it before (probably, because it's not properly documented). There is actually "Add correction" context menu item in adaptation map that applies adapt values to a base map.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good finding! Don't know how I missed it before (probably, because it's not properly documented). There is actually "Add correction" context menu item in adaptation map that applies adapt values to a base map.
So applying to a base map of all zero's should 'reset' the base map to the current auto adapt map, and the auto adapt feature should further refine those base map settings over time? Is that the way to utilize the auto adapt functionality? That was my aim.....load the '19 1260 .mpp file as-is as the base map, go a couple hundred miles, reset base map values to match auto adapt map, repeat, repeat

·
Registered
683 Posts
Save your post 200 miles map first as a precaution.

·
Premium Member
3,326 Posts
So applying to a base map of all zero's should 'reset' the base map to the current auto adapt map, and the auto adapt feature should further refine those base map settings over time? Is that the way to utilize the auto adapt functionality? That was my aim.....load the '19 1260 .mpp file as-is as the base map, go a couple hundred miles, reset base map values to match auto adapt map, repeat, repeat
This is my understanding of how they described the two maps working (on the phone... wish it was written down):

If you had the unit set up with both base and adaptive maps all zero's... you'd basically be running the stock map.

When you load a base map for your mods, you get a default set of values that modify toward rich or lean based on the values (presumably positive values are toward rich, negative toward lean). They didn't indicate that there are any specific unit's to the trim value... they just represent the amount of movement either to lean or to rich as far as I know.

The adaptive map further trims toward rich or lean based on sensor feedback... with the actual 'final trim from stock' value being the sum of the two currently active cells. The units are also non-specified but are the same units used in the base map.

there is a 'max adjust' setting that keeps adaptive from running away and applying a trim value that could cause problems... it can be adjusted (I think I have mine set to 12 or something like that) but shouldn't be set too high, better to make changes slowly and under your own control.

The base maps Rapidbike provides are therefore starting points for your bike with your mods. In my experience they do increase fuel consumption.

·
Registered
112 Posts
This is correct with one exception. Let's say one of the cell in the base map is -7 and the corresponding adapt cell is -5. If you apply adapt cell to base the result will be -10, not -12 as you would expect. That's because -10 is the absolute minimum for the base map cell and you can't configure it (don't confuse it with configurable range of adapt values!).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is correct with one exception. Let's say one of the cell in the base map is -7 and the corresponding adapt cell is -5. If you apply adapt cell to base the result will be -10, not -12 as you would expect. That's because -10 is the absolute minimum for the base map cell and you can't configure it (don't confuse it with configurable range of adapt values!).
O.k., I think I follow, but I was planning to set the base map values to zero (assuming that's even possible) prior to applying the auto adapt values to the base map, so there shouldn't be add/subtract results. Is the issue going to be when/if a cell in the auto adapt map is greater than 10, it won't apply correctly to the base map?

Also, just a heads up if you do this, I think you'll need to apply the settings to CIL1 and CIL2.....I don't think the auto adapt values are applied to both CIL1 & CIL2 at once, they have to be applied to each separately.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Saved map does not include adaptation maps. So, as long as you have base map, there is no point to save it again.
That could explain the no improvement however, it ran worse than the post auto-adaptation map. At which point I reverted, changed the trim and it was great thereafter.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did about 100 miles this afternoon with the RB .mpp file for the 1260 and I'm pretty happy with it now. It kept the leash tight the whole time and used about 6/10th's of a full tank, so if that holds I should be at +/- 180 miles between fill ups. I'll see what the auto adapt map looks like next week and post screen shots of it vs. the RB 1260 map.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts