Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I haven't installed my RB unit yet and Iv'e been wondering, would installing it void any warranty issues that might come up concerning the electronics?

I only have 1600 miles on it and have had it less than a year. Reading all of the problems with the electronics/electrical on these bikes, it makes me kinda wary.

Anyone know?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hey all. I haven't installed my RB unit yet and Iv'e been wondering, would installing it void any warranty issues that might come up concerning the electronics?

I only have 1600 miles on it and have had it less than a year. Reading all of the problems with the electronics/electrical on these bikes, it makes me kinda wary.

Anyone know?
Well the answer is going to differ on who you ask. Will Ducati say it voids the warranty? Absolutely yes. Will your dealer say it voids the warranty? Maybe. Will a lawyer tell you it voids the warranty? Depends on what you're trying to have fixed under warranty.

The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act says that it is a responsibility of Ducati to prove that your modifications are the reason for a failure under warranty. So you have two basic examples (probably suck, but I hope you get the point):
You replace the air filter on your motorcycle, and then a week later the taillight dies. Ducati tries to make the claim that your modified bike is the cause of the failure. You'd say obviously no, and that they would have to prove the air filter caused it to die. Since they obviously can't prove that, the law stands in your favor.
Another case, if you replace the air filter, and a month later your bike won't run due to low compression, and an inspection shows a hole in your filter and dirt in the airbox, then you're screwed. Because your modification led to the failure, you would be responsible to fix it.

The rapidbike is going to be a tough one to decide on. Since technically it modifies the stock wiring harness (by way of a wire-tap for the TPS), they probably have the right to say they won't fix it if you have electrical problems. But they won't be able to deny a warranty claim for something unrelated, since they'd have to prove the rapidbike caused the issue.

Hope this helps. On a side note, I haven't bought a rapidbike yet for this express reason. I personally will wait until the bike is out of warranty.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the answer is going to differ on who you ask. Will Ducati say it voids the warranty? Absolutely yes. Will your dealer say it voids the warranty? Maybe. Will a lawyer tell you it voids the warranty? Depends on what you're trying to have fixed under warranty.

The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act says that it is a responsibility of Ducati to prove that your modifications are the reason for a failure under warranty. So you have two basic examples (probably suck, but I hope you get the point):
You replace the air filter on your motorcycle, and then a week later the taillight dies. Ducati tries to make the claim that your modified bike is the cause of the failure. You'd say obviously no, and that they would have to prove the air filter caused it to die. Since they obviously can't prove that, the law stands in your favor.
Another case, if you replace the air filter, and a month later your bike won't run due to low compression, and an inspection shows a hole in your filter and dirt in the airbox, then you're screwed. Because your modification led to the failure, you would be responsible to fix it.

The rapidbike is going to be a tough one to decide on. Since technically it modifies the stock wiring harness (by way of a wire-tap for the TPS), they probably have the right to say they won't fix it if you have electrical problems. But they won't be able to deny a warranty claim for something unrelated, since they'd have to prove the rapidbike caused the issue.

Hope this helps. On a side note, I haven't bought a rapidbike yet for this express reason. I personally will wait until the bike is out of warranty.
Thanks for the reply. This is exactly what my common sense meter is telling me. Probably anything to do with the ECU or the infamous dash failures would be cause to deny. Maybe even the starter motor related failures.

Well, I'll have to think about it more. My bike never has exhibited the extreme surging problems and dead spot at a certain RPM that others have complained about. However, there is some room for improvement so I bought the EVO unit for that reason.

If my dash fails or some other pretty common ailment happens to my bike before two years is up, I certainly don't want them denying my claim. Iv'e got a long way to go still.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Thanks for the reply. This is exactly what my common sense meter is telling me. Probably anything to do with the ECU or the infamous dash failures would be cause to deny. Maybe even the starter motor related failures.

Well, I'll have to think about it more. My bike never has exhibited the extreme surging problems and dead spot at a certain RPM that others have complained about. However, there is some room for improvement so I bought the EVO unit for that reason.

If my dash fails or some other pretty common ailment happens to my bike before two years is up, I certainly don't want them denying my claim. Iv'e got a long way to go still.
It also depends on your relationship with the dealer. I'd ask them what their thoughts are, and if they are willing to help you in case you do have any problems. Some dealers would be nice enough to "leave out" any photos/proof of existence when filing a claim with DNA. Others will grill you for it. Best to ask!

·
Registered
946 Posts
Well I can chime in on this one... based on personal experience!

Ducati has to prove the modification is the cause, but you also have to prove it ISN'T the cause, and the only definitive way to do that is put it back to stock. With the EVO module, it is tied to every sensor on the engine and the electronic system, so anything related to that they will be able to deny the claim.

·
Premium Member
3,473 Posts
I would bet if the dealer installed/sold the rapid bike you would have no warranty issues, some one else and you are at their mercy.

That said I just installed one on a MVagusta Brutale and I like it , there are a few things they could do better (tps tap should be a plug in not a tap) but it works well. I made a custom map on the Dyno and we picked up 9hp over their map. Even though the stock map did not look terrible.

that said I still prefer a modified oem ecu over a piggy back system so I am still a skeptic. If you can map your oem ecu and get where you need to be I see more benefits doing so. That said one of the things I like about the rapid bike is it uses the O2 sensor to keep it in a tune range so it might keep your tune better than a custom mapped bike. Only time will tell as i just started playing with them, so far I like it but it has a few things it cannot do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts