Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Title says it all. I had the pleasure of running over a nail today, and as a result need a new rear tire. I'm looking at two options.

1. Replace it with the stock Pirelli tire for $230
2. Replace it with a Michelin Pilot Power for $180

In the past I've always run Pilot Powers on my old Yamaha, but am not sure which tire to go with in this situation. What do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
You didn't say what the stock replacement is, but the stock Pirellis on my 1098 are stones - very hard, long life but very little feedback. I won't toss them before they're done, but once they're done I'm mounting Michelins or Dunlops.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The nail was removed and it doesn't seem to be leaking. The tech said he thinks it's OK, but wouldn't blame me if I wanted to replace it. Somehow the idea of having my rear blow out on the highway because I was being a cheapo and skimping out of $200 doesn't seem wise.

Tire is a Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pro (SC2)

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
your choice, really... keep the sets matched tho; don't put a new Michelin on the rear with your Pirelli up front

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Tire is a Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pro (SC2)
Same tires I have on my bike (possibly minus the SC2, I don't see that anywhere on the tire). Stones, you'll be happier with Michelin or Dunlop tires if you ride quickly on twisty roads - otherwise, it probably doesn't much matter. After 3000 miles of riding twisty roads at an aggressive pace, my tires still have rubber whiskers that haven't been worn off.

I used to race my old GSXR with a Michelin front and a Dunlop rear, so you can mix brands. Handling will change somewhat, but you can adapt - there are so many variables involved, that minor changes in tire profiles aren't going to ruin the bike's handling.

·
9,757 Posts
You didn't say what the stock replacement is, but the stock Pirellis on my 1098 are stones - very hard, long life but very little feedback. I won't toss them before they're done, but once they're done I'm mounting Michelins or Dunlops.
Are you serious? For street tires the stock dragon supercorsas are like eraser rubber. I destroyed mine in like ten canyon rides. I liked the feedback till they got really hot and started shedding lotsa boogers.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
Yeah, I was way happier with my Supercorsas than I am with my Pilot Powers.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hell, I race on Supercorsa's! Keep in mind there is a difference between the Diablo and the Dragon Supercorsa. The Dragon is the old style (OE style and less expensive) where the Diablo Supercorsa is the updated model (less tread, more grip, more money, etc). I have not raced on the Diablo Supercorsa's yet, but do have a few sets ready to go for the next time out.

·
Registered
508 Posts
If the tire has a good amount of tread left.... then patch it... I have my local shop dismount the tire, then I scuff the inside, apply patch, then have them mount it. $50 bucks! or just get a new tire.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Are you serious? For street tires the stock dragon supercorsas are like eraser rubber. I destroyed mine in like ten canyon rides. I liked the feedback till they got really hot and started shedding lotsa boogers.
+1

Mine has never been to the track, and I don't even ride it THAT hard on the street by some of ya'alls standards. My dragon supercorsas are showing obvious wear at 2400 miles.

My fav tires are the regular pilot powers. Once these pirelli's are done, its back to the PP's for me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update, here's some crappy cell pictures for reference. As you can see from the dark spot, I used the soapy water trick to see if it was leaking. It does not appear to be leaking, but I am still unsure about the structural integrity of the tire.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts