Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a bit of a clincher moment on my 2012 PP a couple weeks ago that I thought I'd share and ask some questions. A bunch of things went horribly wrong but luckily everything turned out OK.

I was on my way home from work, and I knew my fuel was getting low but still had 10-15 miles or so range on the Guage the last I looked down.
I have a long highway descent over a mountain crest on the way, probably 2 miles long. I was maybe a mile into it when my bike started stuttering then suddenly died. I was going about 65 or 70 in somewhat heavy traffic. I knew I had another mile or so all downhill to my exit.
I tried to restart the bike just using the starter, but all I could do was change my heated grip settings. Damn integrated heated grips! Then my headlight went out - super duper, as it was just going dark. Still rolling about 55, moving to the shoulder but I'm not stopping on the highway if I can help it. I get the headlight on by hitting the high beam - yaay - and keep my turn signal on to help folks see me from behind without using my brakes, coasting on the shoulder at 45 or 50 while trucks buzz by at 60. Not the first time I've done a out of fuel coast but never done one over 1.5 miles!

Amazing I coasted all the way down the highway, off my exit, and another quarter mile on a busy road to my neighborhood entrance before finally coasting to a stop. Whew, only 1.5 miles from home and in a safe-ish spot.

Sheepishly call the wife to bring me gas. While I wait I try to fire the bike again, no luck. Service engine light comes on. Gas Guage is flashing the lowest bar. I switch over to fuel remaining display and it says.. 678 miles range remaining! clearly something is fubar.

I finally decide to turn the bike all the way off amd on again (troubleshooting 101) and to my amazement the bike fires up immediately! gas Guage shows 1 solid bar and a few miles range I forget the number but it was >1 and I hurriedly took off to try to make it home (uphill from here) while it was running again. (should have called the wife to tell her, whoops)

Pull into the driveway, sweating but relieved.

I have so many questions about what the hell happened.

My theory is that when things started I indeed ran out of gas getting to the engine while on this long descent - the remaining fuel was up at the front of the tank and not making it to the fuel lines. Once I was on flat / uphill ground the fuel sloshed back and the engine could be fed again. Hss anyone experienced something like that before?

678 miles remaining - the dash or perhaps fuel sensor was clearly out of sorts. being a computer guy I was thinking maybe an 'integer underflow' type thing but that's a stretch.

I've since bought an odb2 cable and 4 pin adapter so I can try to check for any codes. I installed MelcoDiag and got connected but still waiting for a product key response, I don't seem to be able to do much without it.

Lesson learned - when in doubt, fill up at the station by work even though I prefer the ethanol free stuff I have in a barrel at home!

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
The remaining range is based on recent consumption. So cruising for a mile with no fuel consumption and then finding half a litre in the tank leads to an incredible range. No bugs, just plain straightforward math.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
The fuel was sloshed up to the front. The fuel pick up is at the back of the tank. For future reference, when you run out of fuel, stop on the side of the road, shake the bike from side to side, and then try restarting it. You have about 7 miles worth of fuel at this point. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
195 Posts
My theory is that when things started I indeed ran out of gas getting to the engine while on this long descent - the remaining fuel was up at the front of the tank and not making it to the fuel lines. Once I was on flat / uphill ground the fuel sloshed back and the engine could be fed again. Hss anyone experienced something like that before?
Yes, all the time. When I used to run out on my 75 CB550K (or almost any of my bikes, but that one got me the most) I'd stand it upright, move it side to side and wait a few minutes and when the gas settled again I'd make it another mile or two.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
I'm going to have to go against you on this one, Chuck. When the fuel gauge works, it is incredibly accurate. I found I could repeatedly get 4 miles past "0 miles till empty". Yeah, I had a problem for a while where I kept running out of gas, but it was entirely a problem with the operator. Now I carry an MSR bottle of gas to get me another 11 miles. ?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The remaining range is based on recent consumption. So cruising for a mile with no fuel consumption and then finding half a litre in the tank leads to an incredible range. No bugs, just plain straightforward math.
Ahh yes that makes perfect sense - and makes it hilariously cool, I wonder if I set a record ? Clearly their algorithm is a bit too simple for the real world though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your other mistake was trusting your gas gauge and the computer calculated mileage doo-hickory. Ducati does not make computers for a reason.
No I didn't trust it, really. it was just confirming what I already knew from experience based on my trip meter and a slosh around before I left work.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The fuel was sloshed up to the front. The fuel pick up is at the back of the tank. For future reference, when you run out of fuel, stop on the side of the road, shake the bike from side to side, and then try restarting it. You have about 7 miles worth of fuel at this point. Ask me how I know.
Good to know from one with experience ? yes I've had the tank off and I can see how fuel could pool in those pointy shapes at the front of the tank. it's an "interesting" design.

I must say I am disappointed in the range on the Multi. I am used to about 180 mile range from my Triumph, so getting 135 or so seems like I am filling up pretty often considering my commute is 36-45 miles a day. This is one of the reasons I bought a 30 gallon drum for home, so I can fill up before I leave the house if I know I will need gas but don't want to take time to stop later.

Thanks to everyone for the input l, this forum is one of the more helpful and friendly ones I've been on.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some mysteries are solved but some outstanding items on my mind.

- Is there a way to get the starter to work while you are moving if you have heated grips? Perhaps I could have tried some vigorous "tire scrubbing" slaloms manouver to slosh gas around but still would need to fire the bike. This one feels like a safety issue to me if the bike died for any restartable reason while moving.

- Not cool the headlight went out while the bike was still in 'run' but at least I figured out a way to turn it back on. At least the bike didn't turn itself all the way off, I was worried it would. That's because of a somewhat off topic but related question. When I am trying to use MelcoDiag, or going through setup menus to art the time, suspension settings, etc the bike keeps turning itself off. What's the best way to keep the bike on when you need to do some stuff while in Run but with the engine stopped? It seems to turn itself off after a minute or so. The best method I found so far was to just tap the starter button so it would barely turn over but long enough to actually start the motor.

- I didn't purposefully slosh between when I had tried to start it when I first stopped and when I turned it off and on again. Though I think I had maybe moved it a few feet further off the road which would have jostled it a bit. I was attributing it to the bike being in a bad state when the check engine light was on but I suppose some gas could have sloshed down between starting attempts.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
If you are still moving at a good clip, just dump the clutch instead of hitting the starter.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
IIRC coasting downhill for extended periods without the motor running can cause a lot of transmission wear. Those gears don't drag through oil, it has to pumped via pressure. Probably nothing to loose sleep over but something to consider.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IIRC coasting downhill for extended periods without the motor running can cause a lot of transmission wear. Those gears don't drag through oil, it has to pumped via pressure. Probably nothing to loose sleep over but something to consider.
Good to know, hopefully I don't do that again ? next oil change I'll keep that in mind if there is any excessive metal in the oil. no ill effects I noticed so far at least

·
Registered
51 Posts
I must say I am disappointed in the range on the Multi. I am used to about 180 mile range from my Triumph, so getting 135 or so seems like I am filling up pretty often considering my commute is 36-45 miles a day
Interesting story, but I'm confused by this. You should get 180+ easy commuting, unless your riding style mimics Marc Marquez all the way to work....

·
Registered
292 Posts
Commuting (including some stop and go), 150-160, maybe, with very gentle throttle application--200 (one time) on the freeway, ending on fumes.

Ducati does not make computers for the same reason Lucas does not make refrigerators. There, fixed it for you. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mileage on the multi

I must say I am disappointed in the range on the Multi. I am used to about 180 mile range from my Triumph, so getting 135 or so seems like I am filling up pretty often considering my commute is 36-45 miles a day.
You may find interesting to know that my Multi 950 gets me consistently 220 miles per tankful. I don’t ride like Marquez on my trips, but I don’t go slow for sure!

·
Registered
12 Posts
You may find interesting to know that my Multi 950 gets me consistently 220 miles per tankful. I don’t ride like Marquez on my trips, but I don’t go slow for sure!
That IS good to know. 160 miles on my 1200 can go by pretty fast when riding a 750 mile day! Thank you. :smile2:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I could get 150 but no way 180 - I am getting around 32-35 mpg max. That was stock pipes and fuel and I dropped a tooth within a month of buying it. I try to cruise in a high gear to keep the revs down. I've put on QD and Fatducs since then but can't say it made much of a decrease though the idle is noticeably richer as is common with FatDucs. I do have some mix of highway and heavier 3 lane traffic and one section of uphill 70mph speed limit highway so I am probably burning more there. I wouldn't say I'm riding like Rossi, I tend to keep my front wheel on the pavement though maybe it gets pretty light on an on ramp every now and then ? I am not getting soot on my exhaust so it's not rediculously rich I think. 220 miles that's enough to be ready to get off for a leg stretch on a long trip day!

The Enduro has a bigger tank right? How much more gas / range does it have?

Is the DVT more fuel efficient / longer range than the 1200?

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
I racked up a total of 220 miles on my 2015 DVT before the range showed 0 miles! I wanted to see how much further I could go beyond 0 miles so I carried a small container of gas with me. I reset the trip odometer and logged another 17 miles before running out!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts