Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode to work and home, bike ran fine. Then this morning leaving for class I go to start it and it just spins. I notice the fuel pump is not priming?
First thing I go to is the fuel pump relays under the seat. Bike is a 1997 916.

Only the relay on the left hand side (if you're sitting on it) is clicking when the key turns on. So I grab some known good 30amp relays and put them in, still the same thing. Only the relay on the left side is clicking no matter which one I put in there. Research shows me that BOTH relays need to be in working order.

I checked all the fuses, they're intact. I also pulled apart and inspected for corrosion on any wiring connectors I could find. I even removed the tank and checked the bulhead connector down there.

All lights and dash come on, and the starter spins.

Any Ideas? Is there a kickstand switch on the 916? I've always been able to start the bike with the stand down so maybe it's something the prev owner jumped and it came undone?

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Is it clicking over and over repeatedly failing to latch? Or does it click once and stay and still nothing happens?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I ended up seeing the other thread just posted here: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/140471-95-916-electrical-meltdown.html and I ran out to check my fuse. It was tucked under the ecu where I couldn't see it or pull it out and I wasn't sure if the electrical was the same on all years so I kept overlooking it. I unbolted the ECU and found this:

I think that might be the problem, lol

Everyone should make it a point to check this out during maintenance.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
DAMN! That's some carnage right there. Replacement fuse holder an fuse are dirt cheap at the local hardware store. Should be an easy fix, though I wonder what caused the pump to draw so much amperage. Oh well, hope you get it sorted and back on the road quick.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I'm going to run down to radio shack and solder/heatshrink one in with enough slack that it lays next to the relays and I can keep an eye on it easier.

It was laying dead center of the ECU in bottom that little dip in the black plastic tray. There was a water ring there so I'm guessing it just got corroded and rotted away.

I'll have it back up in about an hour or so hopefully.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Usually the culprit is a dirty fuel filter that will cause the fuel pump to draw much more current.

My fuel pump and filter were just replaced this year, I'm leaning more towards the corrosion from laying down in water occasionally being a factor.

I got a new 30a inline fuse soldered and heat shrinked in and it runs.

Actually, the bike busts off much quicker now and overall fueling is better now that the pump is getting proper current!

Time to go dodge raindrops and take it for a ride. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts