Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for some air ducts as mine are trashed but I'm not finding any stockers. There is a guy 5 hours away from me with a really nice carbon set (not Chinese) he wants 200 for. I've read that they can create pressure issues and don't use factory filters. Do any of you guys run them and if so what filter do you use? What problems if any have you run into?

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Carbon ones are lovely looking and make a great noise off the throttle however there are a few issues. Generally they don't split meaning you will have to run an air box type filter. Pipercross and MWR do some really nice ones however there not cheap. €60-100.…

As for the pressure issue, I've run both types of filters and I did notice a slightly sharper throttle response with the MPX filters in the OEM location. This has to do with air box resonance frequencies. But I'm being really picky here.

If you decide to buy the carbon ones make sure the locking tabs are correctly positioned and not damaged. You'll need them to secure the scoop to your air box. Also make sure the inserts for the indicator retaining bolt is in good shape. If not it's a pain in the ass to get a nut down the scoop and onto the end of the retaining bolt but is do able!

Hope this helps, the only reason I know this is I made the mistake of buying a set of seconds from a UK vender. He assured me they only had slight imperfections in the laquers finish. When they arrived the locking tabs were all over the place and the inserts for the indicator retaining bolts were full of carbon and laquer. Promised me a new set if I shipped them back. Instead got my money back less the return shipping. Sneaky sod.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. I'm not about making power or anything I just want to get my bike up and running and those stockers are hard to find new. i was going to go with piper cross anyways.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Run whatever you like. It won't make much of a difference. Sound between filter types will change, and there is a feeling difference between the kind attach to the velocity stacks and those fitted over the velocity stacks.

In the runners the OEM filters are more or less optimal.

I preferred the ITG filter over others when putting the filter over the velocity stacks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at the mwr one and looks sweet. I'll check out the itg namor. So since it really won't make a difference performance wise..... Whitch filter makes the coolest noises ?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
pm sent. have a set of nice ducts off a 998

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
How do we know what type of bike we're talking here?!!
I gather we're talking 916 style based on who's replied and the comments made, but no one including the OP mentions the bike in question..

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
It depends on what type of sound you like.

The loudest and raspiest by far are these by http://www.madduc.com/images/product/large/3.jpg

Madduc makes them. I was relatively new to Ducati back then, and if I didn't know it was the filters, I would have thought something was wrong.

I fit a Pipercross over the velocity stacks, wasn't too noticeable in any area.

ITG had a "racy" sound if that is possible.

If you want the loudest, just do what I did. I removed the entire belly of my airbox. All that is left is cosmetics, the fittings for the bolts and the air runners. I strongly do not recommend doing it. I am track only, and did the gutting as an experiment to finally lay to rest all the talk on resonance in the older desmos.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
I think raspy might be what I'm after, just like my stang. I want it to sound angry.
Then no filter will do the trick for you, as any filter will dampen the intake sound.
Doing the basic settings. mapping and most important cam dialling it will make it harder nomatter what filter you choose.
It will make it weelie proone too which will help imressing the girls, or not :)
Guys will like it while chicks dig big shiney parfumed bits, much like crows.
Havent yet had a girlfriend that could tell what bike I got other than red, they arent too precise no, one did but she had a 916SPS :)

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
That was a top quality post TomTom.

lockdun1, with intake sound, you are the only one that is going to hear it. Other than reving at a stop with people right up next to the bike.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well shit Tom Tom why you gotta put me on blast lol

I will be the only one to hear it yeah but that's the point isn't it? I drove 500 miles to pick up the ducts today and paid 180. I had to come to Houston to drop off my brother anyways and I got to visit my sister as well so it was a good mini vacation.
I think I'm gonna go with the itg filter it seems have the most surface area. Not sure if it means anything on these bikes but I buy funnel web filters for my dirt bike for that reason.

·
Registered
12 Posts
pm sent. have a set of nice ducts off a 998
Gary,
Do you still have those ducts?
I'm really hoping to find a nice set of CF ducts but I haven't decided on the std size or the race ducts yet.
I need body work too so I was considering the nose fairing that accommodates the larger duct...
What do you have in your arsenal?

Eric

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
i have stock oem fairings, i still have the stock air ducts in great condition. was just up your way too for the ECM meetup.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts