Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still getting to know the ST4S.

I've been lucky that I get to try a lot of the new machines out there. However you get a bit spoiled.
I find my bike a bit on the slow understeering side so I raised the rear to max and then latter dropped the front 1cm.
The bike steered much sharper , but, it now felt like it could bounce you off the bike ala highside if you hit any bumps midcorner.

So, I'm back to the original settings. Its not a hypermotard and doesn't steer anyway near as nice as my old BMW1110 or 1150 but it is what it is, a hang off the side older style of handling.

Probably my next step is putting on a more triangular front tire that will drop it over more easily.

So if you raise the rear don't drop the front.

·
Mr Leakered
8,819 Posts
Me too. It's a bit annoying to oil the chain the 'easy' way. ;)

Have a good one.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tom, when your leaned right over do you feel like its completely neutral or is it still understeering?
I was pushing mine hard when I had the rear raised and although it would turn in easier it still felt like I had to hold it in the line.Midsection if I hit any bumps it would buck me a bit and was unsettling.
Mark

·
Registered
38 Posts
Trythe pilot power tyres of Michelin.
You'll not recognise your old bike for the fast handling

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
That's what I've been using for years.

Can't remember what it does over bumps, if it's not raining tomorrow I can check. I have RaceTech Goldvalves and 0,90 springs in the forks, an Ohlins on the back, and forged Magnesium wheels, so my suspension probably works a little different. I also have a steering damper, but usually it's turned off.

I also have clipons on mine, mounted on Helibar adapters, which are about 2" lower than stock and thus I get more weight on the front wheel.

Tom

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Raising the Front!

Keep in mind that lowering the front ride height, or raising the rear ride height, are not equivalent adjustments. Lowering the front serves to lower the bike's center of gravity. With a higher front, raising the rear, raises the C.G.

Ducati Corse, in a 1996 memorandum that was posted on the old Ducati.com web site, recommended raising the front 10mm to increase "flickability" in turns. Yes, I said raise, not lower. Raising the front end raises C.G., and a higher C.G. makes the bike go to the tire edge quicker according to the memo. I was told that the same advice is given in the factory race bike setup manual.

Familiar with the Mille SP? It has the capability to raise the engine in the frame to increase C.G. to improve flickability. Same effect. Even the Mille R has the engine mounted higher in the frame to do the same thing.

From a chassis design point-of-view you generally you want the C.G. to be a distance equal to half the wheelbase above the line connecting the axles. Raising the C.G. above this point biases the weight more to the inside of the corner so it makes the bike easier to turn.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
That's what I've been using for years.

Can't remember what it does over bumps, if it's not raining tomorrow I can check. I have RaceTech Goldvalves and 0,90 springs in the forks, an Ohlins on the back, and forged Magnesium wheels, so my suspension probably works a little different. I also have a steering damper, but usually it's turned off.

I also have clipons on mine, mounted on Helibar adapters, which are about 2" lower than stock and thus I get more weight on the front wheel.

Tom
Should be due a new pair of tyres later this year and have used the PR2's for the last 2 sets but I have used the PP's in the past and like the profile and grip but was not keen on the wear rate.
Have you used the PP2CT's ? and if so do they improve the milage or just give better side-wall grip with the same milage ?

·
7,733 Posts
If you have Pilot Roads 1 on your 2004, ditch them asap, and different tires alone will make a huge difference, like Pirelli Stradas.

Raise the rear and you need to dial in less compression and more rebound as well. Once my ST3 was dialed in and with better tires, it turns in much quicker, and is neutral and tracks steady once leaned over even over most bumps.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
I went the opposite way with mine. Lowered the rear ride height because with the out of shape leg I wanted to make sure I was able to stand good and flat footed on it at a stop. I like the way it handles and now the leg is getting stronger I think I'll leave it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts