Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I'm new to the forum and have searched for this, but if I've missed another thread about this, please do send me a link!

I have a 1997 ST2 that I am modifying for use on the track. Last track day I kept scraping my right footpeg on the ground. It was a problem as the bike did a wobble every time it made contact. Since it is a sport touring bike the footpegs are quite low and I am looking for the best way to raise them up a bit. I am thinking to the height an SS of about the same age (there is one in the garage to compare with).

On the left side I thought I could shorten the bracket (or make a shorter bracket) holding the peg and the shifter and move the whole thing to the height I want. On the right, raising the footpeg that same way will create too much space between the peg and the brake. Is the solution raising the pegs and buying a longer break pedal lever?

Any tips and suggestions are very welcome on any part of the process! :smile2: I mean, it's this or getting another bike...:grin2:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Is your suspension set up correctly?(spring rate, sag, fresh oil, seals, gold valves help the forks too)
I've done a few track days and have never scraped my pegs.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Make sure you are rolling into the throttle at your maximum lean angle enough to overcome the speed loss from cornering. Sufficient gas gets the rear suspension lifting the bike keeping the pegs from scraping.

Chopping the throttle mid turn will cause the bike to drop suddenly taking away several inches of ground clearance.

A little bit more throttle smoothly applied (and earlier) will also lift front slightly-at least compared to what clearance you have under hard late braking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
It doesn't list a 1997 model, but maybe you can modify your bike to take these

https://www.slingshotracing.net/catalog/ducati-st2-st3-st3s-st4-st4s-adjustable-footpegs-p-1029.html
Thanks for the tip, I'll have a look! :smile2:

Is your suspension set up correctly?(spring rate, sag, fresh oil, seals, gold valves help the forks too)
I've done a few track days and have never scraped my pegs.
Thanks for the reply! I will have a look at the suspension, the rear could use a little more fine tuning, but it is not bad as is. Some TLC for the forks is on the to-do list. Since changing the rear suspension because the old one died the track day before this, there hasn't been time to do the finer adjustments. If I'm lucky, it will help! :smile2:

Make sure you are rolling into the throttle at your maximum lean angle enough to overcome the speed loss from cornering. Sufficient gas gets the rear suspension lifting the bike keeping the pegs from scraping.

Chopping the throttle mid turn will cause the bike to drop suddenly taking away several inches of ground clearance.

A little bit more throttle smoothly applied (and earlier) will also lift front slightly-at least compared to what clearance you have under hard late braking.
The problem did indeed occur mid turn in a sharp corner (about the same spot twice). I will have a think about applying even more gas through the corner and see what happens. Thanks for replying!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Not sure if this will help but adding some height to the ride height adjuster might make things better and certainly help with turn in, plenty of threads on this adjustment...

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts