Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I’m considering a radiator guard for my 13 Multi, (PP if it matters)

If you have installed one, would you recommend it?

I’ll assume that this type of add on has been properly engineered for air flow and function. Meaning strength and open area of space, and ease of installation.

If you have any that you can give a thumbs up too, that would be much appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
259 Posts
My 2012 came with the Ducati Performance one. Seems to be doing ok after 27000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
662 Posts
I run the Evotech radiator and oil cooler guards, top shelf fit and finish. Also on a 2014 PP.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the great leads.
One of my concerns was aluminum vs stainless steel.

Those of you that have the aluminum gaurd, non-issue I assume with a softer metal, correct?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Watching for other opinions. It's a screen, so I imagine so long as it's not made of braided gum wrappers, it'll provide some addtional protection. I had a Cox on my Daytona 675. Right now I'm considering the Evotech and the RG.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Redbrit,
Would say that the Cox guard is lighter that you would have liked it to be?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Can anyone verify which one works with the Ducati auxiliary lights? Apparently not all of these guards fit properly with the lights installed.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Redbrit,
Would say that the Cox guard is lighter that you would have liked it to be?
No, I felt it was plenty substantial. It seems to me that the effectiveness of these guards depends on the size of the openings, the gap between the grid and the radiator fins (giving room for deflection after any impact), and to maybe a lesser degree the rigidity of the material. I'm not an engineer, but that's my thinking. The MTS radiator is a little higher and maybe a little more exposed than the Daytona, but also a little narrower in both dimensions. To some degree it may be a matter of getting something on there.

HTH.

·
Premium Member
4,345 Posts
Thanks for the great leads.
One of my concerns was aluminum vs stainless steel.

Those of you that have the aluminum gaurd, non-issue I assume with a softer metal, correct?
Nonissue... maybe aluminum would be a concern if you're going to be blasting down singletrack and are worried about a tree branch taking out your radiator, but that's probably not a problem for most of us. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Our guards are design out of aluminum both the expanded metal and the frame, cut from a sheet, no welding.
1st Aluminum doesn't retain any heat and changes temperature with coolers.
2nd the expanded metal has a grain that maximizes protection and maximizes air flow. Laser cut sheet do not.
We anodize all ours guards to again optimize air flow, and temperature change, for a tough chip free finish.

Thank you for your considerations.

hope im not being to forward..

Andrew

·
North Carolina, USA
3,321 Posts
Had Cox radiator and oil cooler guards on my '10. Pulled them off and put them on my '12 when I traded bikes. Rad guard has a few dings after about 40k total miles, but no damages to either of the bike's radiators.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts