Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've now spent about 5 hours (at work...DOH) researching how to convert my brakes on my SC1000s to radial.

I am now utterly utterly confused but as far as I can tell this is the best option

http://www.kaemna.de/cms_en/katalog.htm?&view=artikel&artikel=2243

Then get a pair of RSV-R or similar Brembo Raidals.

Please someone confirm this will work and that I haven't just wasted a day!?

Any other options I will consider but it has to be cheaper that £500 ($1000) for both the brakes and the mounting solution...!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I haven't seen this done before, but I rather doubt the radial calipers will clear the spokes on your wheels. You'll need different wheels to mount calipers with pistons on both sides of the disc.

That said, MANY people have fitted cast wheels or Alpina tubeless spoke wheels and upgraded to 4 piston calipers and, yes, radial calipers. However, your budget won't alloy wheels and the radial option unless you have some very generous friends.:D You could certainly upgrade to 5-spoke wheels and 4-piston/4-pad Brembo 65mm mount calipers and see a huge improvement for your budget, IF you're willing to shop and plan carefully and do some of the work yourself. There are many threads on this subject, so you'll be spending more time on your computer...

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry forgot to mention that I already have the Marchesini 10 spoke wheels from the 999 fitted so can't use Brembo 4p4P as the disc offset is wrong (15mm instead of 10mm). Can't get te discs with the right offet so trying another approach, radials!

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
I installed some Ohlins and Brembo off of a S4RS:

This set up used the 999 front wheel and 5 hole, 15mm offset rotors.

We used these billet bottoms on our Monster project a few years ago:
MW Billet "Showa 100mm" Radial Lowers:748-998/SS/Mon/MS

If you use this 10mm offset bottom, you would use the 6 hole, 10 mm offset rotors. We could have used this bottom if we had kept the Marchesini wheels and stock forks on the bike.

We used a different version on our 1098 project:
MW Billet "Ohlins 108mm" Radial Lowers: 999/1098

This fork bottom is a 15mm offset. This has 108mm caliper mounts for the billet race calipers.

-M

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Moto

PM sent

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
?

Sorry forgot to mention that I already have the Marchesini 10 spoke wheels from the 999 fitted so can't use Brembo 4p4P as the disc offset is wrong (15mm instead of 10mm). Can't get te discs with the right offet so trying another approach, radials!
Maybe I'm slow, but I don't understand. 999's came stock with Brembo 4P4P calipers. With your 999 wheels & discs, shouldn't they be a perfect fit?:think:

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I've now spent about 5 hours (at work...DOH) researching how to convert my brakes on my SC1000s to radial.

I am now utterly utterly confused but as far as I can tell this is the best option

http://www.kaemna.de/cms_en/katalog.htm?&view=artikel&artikel=2243

Then get a pair of RSV-R or similar Brembo Raidals.

Please someone confirm this will work and that I haven't just wasted a day!?

Any other options I will consider but it has to be cheaper that £500 ($1000) for both the brakes and the mounting solution...!
Sounds like you get money from the insurance;)

Do you think that the Radials will keep you from touching rear wheels again…

Just my 2 cents: i would keep it as it is

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Paul ,

Have you already managed to fit the radial brakes on your SC ?
I'm very interested how you would do it ?
At this moment I can buy a set of forkbottoms from ohlins with radial brembo ( 100mm ) brakes for a very good price.
The store says it will work with the standard spoke wheels and rotors from my paul smart .
Will it work with the 999 wheels with the 999 rotors ??
I reas somewhere that the hub from the original wheels = 115mm + 2 times 10mm from the rotors will make : 135mm total width
The 999 wheel hub : 105mm + 2 times 15mm : also 135 mm

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It's an easy conversion with the stock forks and Ohlins radial mount bottom and Brembo calipers. I'm currently running Marvic Penta magnesium wheels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts