Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All :smile2:

I know that this topic has been discussed before but I have not found the information I am looking for. I have tried to search this forum with no luck.

My question is:

Is it really possible to have radial brakes on a Paul Smart with OEM wire wheels AND brake discs (no grinding etc.).

I have always thought that it is not possible until I saw Jaroslav (jjduc) Masopust´s Paul Smart.

As you can see in the attached picture he has succeeded. I have been in contact with Jaroslav, but he did not have the parts numbers the day he answered my mail. I have tried to contact him since but with no luck :frown2:

Jaroslav tells me in his mail that he knows he is using radial brakes from a 999 and Öhlins lower legs. He did not have the Öhlins part number at the time he answered my mail AND he has NOT grinded or milled anything.

I have borrowed the picture from motorkari.cz.

Do you know the part numbers to do this?

CiaooOO

Møller

Attachments

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thats really an interesting question. I'v been thinking about the same thing.

where are you at in Denmark? I'm in Copenhagen :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
Thinking out loud here. I have Ohlins from an '09 Monster 1000S with OZ rims and there was no shimming or milling required. The OZ rims were a direct replacement for stock so I cant see why it wouldn't work.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I have Ohlins from an '09 Monster 1000S with OZ rims and there was no shimming or milling required. The OZ rims were a direct replacement for stock so I cant see why it wouldn't work.
OZ rims are supplied new with 4mm spacers you install for use with the stock 2-p SC calipers. They have the same hub width as standard Ducati cast/forged wheels, narrower than the stock SC hubs. You just leave out the spacers if running 4p calipers, which would be stock on your monster.

The question here is whether the radial calipers have more clearance on the hub side than axial mount 4P 65mm calipers. It appears they do...

And to the OP, the OHLINS forks shown are likely from a monster S4RS.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
There is no secret... 999R has 135mm disc spacing... 3mm more than SC bikes...

If you mount specific lower legs on the fork tubes & combine it with the narrow 999 radials you get + 1,5mm

per side than 132mm of the SC front wheel...

·
Registered
93 Posts
i'm really interesting to know how and whith which parts it's possible to have radial brake with OEM wheels

i've just discover this picture and it seems on more time ok :

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have radial brakes and s4r forks so im definitely interested on how to make them work with my spokes. If not im planning on selling the full setup.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
If you have the forks and caliper
Have you mounted them to see if the spokes clear the caliper?

I know when we did this it was very close and did not touch.
There should be a fair amount of clearance as spokes flex and could hit the caliper when under load so I decided against it.

With the Alpina the clearance was better and there would be no issues.

ALPINA STS wheel and OHLINS FGRT819/Monoblock Caliper | 6.8

I have radial brakes and s4r forks so im definitely interested on how to make them work with my spokes. If not im planning on selling the full setup.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Yeah I haven't fitted them up yet but it certainly makes me nervous to say the least.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
No big deal

Take the forks off
Put the Monster forks on
put the stock wheel on
Put the caliper on without any lines but with pads
Do not bolt the caliper to the fork just yet
Actuate the brake with compressed air to check disc caliper alignment to the forks
You can see if the bolt holes line up or not
Here you may find it will need a 4mm spacer for the disc to come away from the hub, or not
In anycase it will give you an idea if it will work or not

Yeah I haven't fitted them up yet but it certainly makes me nervous to say the least.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts