Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lance has a tendency to exceed the allowable speed limit. Lola wanted a radar detector.

And what Lola wants, Lola gets!

Attachments

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
876 Posts
:confused:

thought they were illegal up north??

what mount is that you're using?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Windshield Mount

That's the Adjustable Windshield Mount from Legal Speeding. Here's the link:
http://www.legalspeeding.com/products.htm#AWM

Radar detectors are legal here in Alberta, and in BC and Saskatchewan, according to the Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administrators ( http://www.ccmta.ca/english/pdf/radar_detectors.PDF#search='radar%20detector%20canada'). Whoever they are!

With this mount, the detector is kind of hidden (?) behind the windscreen as opposed to being up in the breeze, as in some of the other mounts that are available, like the Adjustable Plate Mount from Legal Speeding. I think it would be harder for Officer Friendly to figure out what it was. At least I hope Officer Friendly won't catch on!

I'm planning on a cross Canada Blitz in May, and I intend to bring my little friend with me. There's a long stretch of Highway 11 (about 700 kms / 420 miles) in Northern Ontario that has a 90 KPH (55mph) speed limit that the Speed Tax Collector patrols regularly. You just can't go that damn slow on a long, straight, isolated, low traffic, well-paved road on an ST3, now can you?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Mmmmmm the OPP use the radar guns that can detect the use of radar detectors. If they catch you, $300 fine, plus the cut the cord and confiscate your detector and or smash it on the spot. Since I'm orginial from Sudbury, on 11 you can do 115 and not be bothered, when approach small towns do the limit. FYI all roads in Northern Ontario are 90 KPH.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nasty!

Smash my detector?

Cut the carefully installed wiring?

Ding me $300 for the privilege of vandalizing my baby?

Can you say Police State? Speed limits should be applied to squids and not to cool guys on Ducatis!

Now I remember why I intensely dislike being in Ontario!

Thanks for the tip regarding 115.

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
RickC1957 said:
Mmmmmm the OPP use the radar guns that can detect the use of radar detectors. If they catch you, $300 fine, plus the cut the cord and confiscate your detector and or smash it on the spot. Since I'm orginial from Sudbury, on 11 you can do 115 and not be bothered, when approach small towns do the limit. FYI all roads in Northern Ontario are 90 KPH.

Most new Radardetectors have there own "Radar Detector - Detector - Detector" that shuts it down if the cops have a speedgun-Radardetector-Detector.

Is that complicated? Check here for details.
http://www.speedzones.com/radarDD.html

·
Registered
57 Posts
Cheap Blue Tooth for RWR

If you have a Valentine1, Radio Shack sells a nice little BT adapter that has a mini plug on it. If you get the mono phone adapter that goes from super mini to mini you can just use the same headset that you use with the cell phone. The whole rig is less than $60.00.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
You can fit the BT headset inside your helmet too? They usually look too bulky for that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ROCS (River Oaks Car Stereo) has done some pretty slick things with hiding the detectors for the ones that are "installed", but I'm not sure what our options are for that on the bike just yet. Trying desperately to find something. I know I'm getting the GPS with rearview CCD cam from Ant Racing... too bad no one makes an all-in-one package with hidden radar too. "But officer... it's just a GPS..."

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
The STi Driver is invisible to the radar detector detectors. It seems to work well and if you couple it with a chetah headset you could hide it inside the boby work.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
The STi Driver is invisible to the radar detector detectors. It seems to work well and if you couple it with a chetah headset you could hide it inside the boby work.
have you actually tried one of the Cheetah units? I have one and it's very unreliable. I've had it replaced with no change in behavior. It transmits really late, if at all compared to the display on the Valentine. and when mounted inside the fairing it actually missed reports entirely. I don't know if there's something being emitted from the headlight that's interfering with it or it's just not a very reliable piece of kit. I keep going back to the Visual Alert led flasher and it's seems the most reliable of the options I've used.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Do detectors work alright shooting through the smoke windscreen.
Just curious mind you, I'd never mount a radar detector on my bike
in Virginia. The nannies might want to spank me.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Yup! here's what mine looks like behind a ZGDB dark smoke screen.

You can't see it in the photo, but there's a 5 LED visual alert velcro'd to the inside of the very top of the screen that's easily seen under most conditions, including direct sun.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Even a painted plastic fairing, with the exception of bass boat metalflake, is totally transparent to radar. But not laser. A very dark or painted fairing will block the ability to pick up laser if that's important.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello
I don't know why they even put laser detectors in these things, except to make you feel even more humiliated. Might as well just say "Yer, BUSTED, DUMBASS!!!" as make the silly beeps and stuff.

I have good luck using the Legal Speeding "HARD" heads-up display during the day, and a Passport "Smart Cord" hardwire system with a small LED indicator on it in the dark. I've found the HARD device is too dam bright in the darkness, really breaks my concentration. Stick the little LED unit above my tach with velcro, it's hard to miss at night.
I just use a RAM mount with a magnetic base and one of those sleek Legal Speeding plastic covers mounted to my brake master cylinder clip.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Hello
I don't know why they even put laser detectors in these things, except to make you feel even more humiliated. Might as well just say "Yer, BUSTED, DUMBASS!!!" as make the silly beeps and stuff.

I have good luck using the Legal Speeding "HARD" heads-up display during the day, and a Passport "Smart Cord" hardwire system with a small LED indicator on it in the dark. I've found the HARD device is too dam bright in the darkness, really breaks my concentration. Stick the little LED unit above my tach with velcro, it's hard to miss at night.
I just use a RAM mount with a magnetic base and one of those sleek Legal Speeding plastic covers mounted to my brake master cylinder clip.
Hey guido,
I've got the hard sys. and the smart cord for the Beltronics V65.
sounds like a good plan for me also on the LED above the tach.
Got a close up pic of that ram mount you could share?

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
have you actually tried one of the Cheetah units? I have one and it's very unreliable. I've had it replaced with no change in behavior. It transmits really late, if at all compared to the display on the Valentine. and when mounted inside the fairing it actually missed reports entirely. I don't know if there's something being emitted from the headlight that's interfering with it or it's just not a very reliable piece of kit. I keep going back to the Visual Alert led flasher and it's seems the most reliable of the options I've used.
I have the Cheetah Visalert wireless headset mounted to my helmet with the transmitter under the seat. When I first installed it I didn't have it setup right and it didnt work well at all but once I got all the settings lined up per the instruction sheet it seems to work quite well. I have only had one or two instances where the detector alert wasn't relayed to the headset. I use an STi driver mounted on a ram mount placing it just above the brake master cyl. It is wire directly thru the Visalert system which senses when the engine is running and turns the system on including the detector so you could place the detector inside your bodywork if you wanted to keep it out of sight. You would loose laser detection however if the unit could not see out the front of the bodywork. If you are worried about that though, the only real defense against laser is a jammer, which is also very concealable. The Veil coating for the headlights is supposed to give you a little leeway to get shut down after the detector goes off and I have it on my lights but time will tell if it works. I haven't been hit by laser since I put it on, it won't be long though because they use it a lot around here.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
RAM Magnetic mount

Hello, Robert

Here's a couple pic's. I'm not real fastidious about keeping my "Sport Commuter" clean, as you can see...
The magnetic base is really stout and does a great job of keeping the detector anchored, but I reckon an insurance strap of stretchy velcro wrapped over it can't hurt.
I can pull the phone plug out of the HARD transmitter and have the whole shootin' match in the saddlebag or whatever in about 30 seconds, about twice that to re-mount.
I'd hate to have to shoot some witless thug over a radar detector...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Hey Guido, looks like the plan for me. Now is that base mounted to your bars? That's where the mag mount comes in I suppose?

"RAM mount with a magnetic base and one of those sleek Legal Speeding plastic covers mounted to my brake master cylinder clip. "

my ST4 has a small steel clip on either side for the smaller reservoirs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts