Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents and Ladies,

I used the search function but couldn't find any posts on point.

I run 130 octane, leaded, oxygenated race fuel in my carburated racecars. These cars have no catalytic converters and are tuned with the right ignition advance and jetting to take this fuel and it makes a huge difference.

Can I run this fuel in my sportclassic? Will I need to take it to a dyno tuner to re-map my ECU? (I'm running termis and the DP ECU right now.)

Any relevant experiences you can share would be appreciated. I basically know nothing about fuel injection and don't want to waste time with the dyno guys if pump gas is the best you can run in these.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Gents and Ladies,

I run 130 octane, leaded, oxygenated race fuel in my carburated racecars. These cars have no catalytic converters and are tuned with the right ignition advance and jetting to take this fuel and it makes a huge difference.

Can I run this fuel in my sportclassic? Will I need to take it to a dyno tuner to re-map my ECU? (I'm running termis and the DP ECU right now.)

Any relevant experiences you can share would be appreciated. I basically know nothing about fuel injection and don't want to waste time with the dyno guys if pump gas is the best you can run in these.

Re-mapping will be essential if the gas is going to do any good.
Honestly though, for the few extra HP you'll get I wouldn't think the trouble and expense of having to run the race gas all the time would be worth it.

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
Super high octane race fuel in a street vehicle won't do anything but damage the motor without major modifications. The compression ratio, cam timing/profile, ignition mapping, exhaust and even the spark plugs and fuel system. All of those components need to be setup properly for extremely high race fuel.

With that being said, with some minor modifications, you can easily run 100 octane unleaded/leaded race fuel. You might pickup 2hp at most... the best stuff is U4.2 and its oxygenated 100 octane, it gets roughly 5 more hp in a properly tuned and setup bike.

I've painstakingly tuned my 749R to run race fuel and ya know what? I don't really notice the difference...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
724 Posts
Gents and Ladies,

By adding a pint or less to a full tank of pump gas you’ll benefit from the extra top end lubrication the lead provides, just don‘t over due it. No modifications required and you should “hear” (not feel) the difference. Same thing goes for 100LL Avgas.

My $0.02

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
my paul smart is tuned for pump gas and VP U4.2, but the increase(less than 2 ponies) isn't worth the cost of the fuel.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
The work needed and expense incured far exceeds and small gain you might get.

Your going to need to change the ignitionmap to get anything out of the new fuel and that means a a programmable ECU (nemesis or similiar) at the very least. Probabaly hotter plugs aswell..

I wouldn´t to it unless you really have a good reason to do it. But then again.. a motor running on racefuel sure does smell nice.. :D

//amullo

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, all for your thoughtful replies. I'd just taken for granted all the engine mods we make on our racecars. I don't want to do that with a sport classic. Especially given the quote below:

I've painstakingly tuned my 749R to run race fuel and ya know what? I don't really notice the difference...
I absolutely believe you and I wondered why this is true when the difference is so great on a 60's sportscar. The technology on cars from the 60's was so inefficient that the difference between bone stock and mods like changing the intake manifold shape, head porting and providing proper aspiration make a huge difference. Ducati's stock setup is probably pretty darn good and the delta between perfect and stock is a lot less than in a 1960's Pininfarina.

Thanks, all for your thoughts. I'm just going to be happy running pump gas in this one. I can save the projects for another bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts