Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As part of my initiation into out local racing club as new novice, you has to corner work for two days. Last race of the season and I did that on Saturday and Sunday to get it out of the way while the weather is cool. I was dreading it but ended up having a blast. What a cool place to watch the races from. And it was far from boring. There was a lot of crashing in my corners making the time go fast.

But I was thinking back on the comments of the crashers when I first got to them. There were a lot of "owie, owie, owie's" and "oh fuck, oh fuck, oh fuck's" and "I can't breathe", but my favorite ones where "please don't let anyone run over me", "I hope I don't have any internal injuries", and best of all was "are my nuts there there?" to which I answered "no, but I found them over by your bike with the brake guard." :)

And we do this for fun? :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I raced for four years way back when. After a spirited street ride the "kids"would always say "You are pretty fast for an OLD MAN" you should come race with us.
This time of my life may have been the best ever! I considered myself the FIRST slow guy, "Jack Walsh" and I were the old fat guys and consistently in the top 20 or even as close as 11th or 12th out of 60 to 65 crazy kids in our class. We could SEE the front runners but could not make any ground on them for four years. The new guys would come in each year and the seasoned racers would say, "See that old fat guy in the white leathers with the red "RKA" on the back? WHEN (not if) you pass him you are doing ok. I remember about 1/2 way through the season they would start barking at my heals and I would think, "NOT YET KID, this is still my spot." ....... What a great time of my life!!!
Here is a lap around Buttonwillow during a open track day we used for practice ... you are on board with me chasing a young whipper snapper .... Richard

PS FYI I had AFM permission to have a VHS camera mounted on my passenger seat and a RCA jack powered pencil cam on the front of the bike, NOW YOU figure out the time frame ;-)

·
18,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was awesome. I love little bikes cause you got so much time to think about what you're going to do in that next corner. :)

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
"There was alot of crashes in my corner"...............

You standin there in high heels and a skirt or just the Duckman outfit?

·
18,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
"There was alot of crashes in my corner"...............

You standin there in high heels and a skirt or just the Duckman outfit?
I gotta tell the truth. One of our friends won several races and on his cool down laps I flashed him. He said later it's the first time he damn near crashed after the checkered flag. :)

·
Registered
948 Posts
PS FYI I had AFM permission to have a VHS camera mounted on my passenger seat and a RCA jack powered pencil cam on the front of the bike, NOW YOU figure out the time frame ;-)
Ancient history. :D

Racing looks like great fun as long as you don't crash and have some corner working yahoo tell you, No your nuts are over there. :LOL:

·
18,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Video from our track. Not me, I was flagging at turn one. Great example of why little 400’s are so much fun! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
18,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well actually it’s turn 17 because bikes run the track backwards. Confusing as hell. I flagged 13-14 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday.

·
18,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ha! No I was holding the power of the black flag. :)

·
18,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'd just edit that above post if I could figure out how since the "upgrade".

But I do have a funny story about our "mock" race held Friday for all the new applicants. I hope I can tell this right. :)

The idea was for everyone to experience a typical race, calls to the line, warm up lap, staging, start, 1/2 race flags, white flag lap, checkered flag and cool down lap. I was starting P1, my son P2 and about 10 people total.

Well let me tell you, in the 35+ years I've been involved in bike racing including many years in amateur national level motocross and supercross, I have never in my life seen such a totally fucked up way to start a race! Our instructor told us it would be fast and I asked about the traditional 2-min board, flip it over for 1-min, then sideways for 30 seconds and the gate drops. He warned us it would be faster than that. NO SHIT! The dude held up the 2-min side, instantly flipped it over, turned it sideways and the lights went out all in one motion that took about 1 second! I shit you not. :)

We all just sat there. No one went. Finally the instructor from all the way at the back yelled "would someone go" but only the last row people heard him and started going. LOL! The three of us on the front row still just sat there thinking surely it was a fuck up and we'd restart. After everyone was gone past us we finally just said fuck it and took off.

I was so blown away and laughing so hard I could barely ride. So I just putted around since one of the requirements to pass the test is not to crash. And then it got really bad.

On the last lap my bike started acting funny. Hitting the rev limiter at really low revs and every once in a while shutting off and restarting. On the cool down lap I noticed my clutch lock out switch had fallen off and was dangling from the wires. On my computer setup that switch is used to engage the launch control which I have set at 7000 revs. So I was riding around the track bouncing off the limiter. To make things I worse I later found out that the cable going to the voltage regulator had come loose and the batter was dying causing the motor to shut off and the dash lights to flash. But I made it back to the pits. I kept looking around to make sure no one was behind me but I was the only one left on the track. :)

It was the worst racing day of my life. I should have been black flagged. And I would have just flipped them the bird cause I was now pissed. I'm only telling this story now because it's taken me this long to be able to talk about it. :)

True Story.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Got me going now. ;-)

My very first weekend I raced I signed up for two classess I was on a 1988 Suzuki Katana and there was the 600 class NOT.
So they had the "Over forty class" and I signed up for that one .. How hard could that be riding with a bunch of OLD MEN.
The second one was a new class, I guess an experiment, called "Formula Easy" a race of all beginners
So I assume by now you can see this one coming ........

Formula Easy was first. ..... It was red flagged before we got to turn three. Multipule riders had ran into each other and crashed.
They restarted it after a short "Riders Meeting" .... Same result .... What the F#*K am I doing here!

Formula Over Forty was second ... But as I lined up I could see there were 250 two strokes, forumla one bikes, Formula Pacific bikes (The permerie class)
Yup, they were all over forty BUT there was no discplacement rule, all but one or two very very experienced racers. ....... My claim to fame was .... I did not get lapped" ;-)

They discontimued formula easy and I did race in formula forty a few more times and finally hooked up with a slow guy that I could at least follow.
That was in 1990 or so and the bussiness made it impossible to continue.

I came back in 1999 or 2000 on an appropiate Ninja 250, and stayed with it for four years ..... which is the above videoI shared

So in 2013 I was still doing track days and decided to see what the BMW R1200ST could do with street tires and no saddlebags .....
My 3J's track day at Sonoma Race Way
I couldn't keep up with the Ducs on the straights but the old man could close on the brakes ;-)

Richard

·
18,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At least we have Formula 40 lightweight, middle and heavyweight. But the guys in those classes are FAST!

I think they need an over Medicare novice class. :)

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well let me tell you, in the 35+ years I've been involved in bike racing including many years in amateur national level motocross and supercross, I have never in my life seen such a totally fucked up way to start a race! Our instructor told us it would be fast and I asked about the traditional 2-min board, flip it over for 1-min, then sideways for 30 seconds and the gate drops. He warned us it would be faster than that. NO SHIT! The dude held up the 2-min side, instantly flipped it over, turned it sideways and the lights went out all in one motion that took about 1 second! I shit you not. :)
Heheh. In CCS in the midwest, a lot of races are 2 waves, experts then amateurs, lightweights then ultralights, etc. But it's never consistent and it changes all the time. The biggest worry is knowing what wave you're in, particularly if you're in the front row of the 2nd group. Generally If we know we are in wave two we get a hand up to signify that we know we aren't starting on the first flag. The problem is, one time I was in a start where the entire smallish group had no clue what wave we were in. We're all holding up 1 or 2 fingers and shrugging. The 2 card flips to 1 and we're all just thinking oh shit and finally we spot one guy in the group who looks like he knows that it's all one wave. So none of us are looking at the flag guy, we're all staring at this guy on the grid to see if he goes... he's got his revs up, so we get ours up but we're still looking at him. He goes so we all hit it.

I always put a piece of tape on my tank with grid position. After that I made sure to add a W1 or W2. :D

But the bigger the grid, the more likely someone knows what's going on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts