Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The best mod you can make to your hyper!

If you had to choose between an S or a Std - Choose the std and buy the racetech cartridges to go in the forks.

I just had these installed and have taken them for a blat. words can not describe the difference in the front end. (and rear with a valve replacement and rebound seperator valve)

there is no harshness, only firmness. the levels of grip coming from the front end are simply astonishing. I am now having issues of actually turning too much.

The rear is also vastly improved and does not go harsh over the bumps, way way better than the stock ohlins now.

This is how the bike should have come stock. you can plant the front wheel (and I mean plant) it into a corner and it seems to just pull the front end round better than i ever expected. I used to chew up the rear tyre like mad just trying to keep the bike in control, now the rear looks great and I'm riding faster..

If you think that $1200 is a big investment, its not really. for $300 you can take superbike spec forks to your next bike as they are interchangeable so consider them an investment.

so rating for this mod 11/10

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hello PedroHM I know what you mean about the front end.I had a dunlop gp211 put on the front to get her to stick.I still don`t trust the front 100%.I might try race tech out next.Thanks for the feed back on those cartrides.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I've been kicking it around after my last track day. My laptimes must've been 15 seconds slower on the hyper compared to my R6 on a track that should favor the hyper. With running that slow, I still nearly lowsided several times. The front does suck.

I am very dissapointed that $1200 is the only fix. I spent around $400 for my R6 for gold valves and springs. $800 can buy lots of tires and track time.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yea i agree. The front end sucks on this bike. How hard is the install ?
Thanks

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
seeing as the shock needs an overhaul as well I was told I had to go to a racetech tech to get them installed. watching what was involved I was glad. there is a little butchering of the stock rebound rod to get the adjuster off it but it should go back together again when i put the stock ones back in to sell it.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I've been kicking it around after my last track day. My laptimes must've been 15 seconds slower on the hyper compared to my R6 on a track that should favor the hyper. With running that slow, I still nearly lowsided several times. The front does suck.

I am very dissapointed that $1200 is the only fix. I spent around $400 for my R6 for gold valves and springs. $800 can buy lots of tires and track time.
What kind of track are you on that a Hyper should be faster than an R6? :eek: dirt?

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
I don't think he means necessarily faster, but the type of track where you should be able to go reasonably fast on a Hyper, i.e. tight and twisty, correct?

For the record, on our local track, I was able to lap on my Hyper S easily within 3 or 4 seconds of what I could do on a full blown sport bike. I was more worried about the psycho front brakes than the front end. In fact, I really felt comfortable riding the front wheel all the way into the apex of corners...

As usual, YMMV...

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I don't think he means necessarily faster, but the type of track where you should be able to go reasonably fast on a Hyper, i.e. tight and twisty, correct?

For the record, on our local track, I was able to lap on my Hyper S easily within 3 or 4 seconds of what I could do on a full blown sport bike. I was more worried about the psycho front brakes than the front end. In fact, I really felt comfortable riding the front wheel all the way into the apex of corners...

As usual, YMMV...
Ditto!

PS...Don't touch the front brakes when you are sideways, going into a corner. Don't ask me how I know. ;)

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
So what was the final price tag on this entire setup? DP Motorsports a local shop here in Phoenix that is an official Racetech Service Center can do the forks and shocks and it will run about $2100 OTD for them to do all the work. That is spendy, but I am considering it. I may just start with the forks.

The tech Jeff seemed real knowledgable and has done several installs of the 25 mm cartridges for race bikes including a bunch of stuff for the Hooters team in Daytona. He said that these cartridges always result in a great handling bike and gets no complaints. That confirms Pedro's reaction too.

Thanks!

Out!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
So what was the final price tag on this entire setup? DP Motorsports a local shop here in Phoenix that is an official Racetech Service Center can do the forks and shocks and it will run about $2100 OTD for them to do all the work. That is spendy, but I am considering it. I may just start with the forks.

The tech Jeff seemed real knowledgable and has done several installs of the 25 mm cartridges for race bikes including a bunch of stuff for the Hooters team in Daytona. He said that these cartridges always result in a great handling bike and gets no complaints. That confirms Pedro's reaction too.

Thanks!

Out!

I guess it depends on your weight and how close it is to the weight that the ducati engineers targeted for the spring rates. So, if you are like me and weigh heavier (210 lbs.) than the spring rates were designed for, it would make very much sense to change both spring rates at the same time. The bike wouldn't handle well if you changed the front rate and not the back. I would much rather have both ends be the same and undersprung than the front good with the back way off.

You will end up getting a mid-corner figure 8 feeling which isn't very confidence inspiring.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
$2100US!!! fuck me dead thats a lot.

I spent $600 aussie getting the bike stripped down AND the forks done ($209 std) AND the shock ($209) AND the rebound seperator valve ($80) done. paid $1200 for the kit. oh and $100US for spings I think.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I am not sure how the math works on your deal, but here is the approximate breakdown I got.

Fork:

$1300 for the cartridges
$110 for the springs
$25 for the oil

Shock:

$170 for the valving
$120 for the spring
$25 for th oil

Labor:

$250 for both including tear down, revalving, install, setup

Tax:

$160 @8%