Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the Pterodactyl back from the shop with the new Racetech 25 mm cartridges installed along with a Scotts steering damper. In a word, unbelievable! Completely transformed the handling of the bike, which I had issues with. Gone is the twitchyness, the front end is now properly sprung for my weight (205lbs.) and it tracks like it's on rails. I highly recommend this mod. It's not cheap, but it totally compliments the bike's other stellar qualities, namely that glorious engine and the brakes. I also have a Termi 2 into one exhaust, chip, airbox lid and race air filter. Cheers, Martyn

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Just got the Pterodactyl back from the shop with the new Racetech 25 mm cartridges installed along with a Scotts steering damper. In a word, unbelievable! Completely transformed the handling of the bike, which I had issues with. Gone is the twitchyness, the front end is now properly sprung for my weight (205lbs.) and it tracks like it's on rails. I highly recommend this mod. It's not cheap, but it totally compliments the bike's other stellar qualities, namely that glorious engine and the brakes. I also have a Termi 2 into one exhaust, chip, airbox lid and race air filter. Cheers, Martyn
what weight springs did they install with the cartridges?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, this isn't gonna help much about the specifics. The mechanic at the dealership had to deal with Racetech to make this all work. Lots of phone calls, some fab. I just told him that I ride 30-40 mph over the speed limit, weigh 205 lbs., and do 4-6 trackdays a year. I can't read the henscratch as to the spring rates. Sorry. The cost was $1400.00 for the cartridges, + $450.00 for the install, which was cheap, in my book. The Scotts steering damper was $600.00 US. You can do the work yourself, but you also might like self flagellation.
Bottom line, the bike is now how it should be. A matched set of handling, braking, looks, sound, and eye candy!
Martyn

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh just one more thing. The Racetech site is quite good, and they were very helpful in sheparding this project through. It's really all about suspension, when you get right down to it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
This does look interesting. The problem for me is that there were several
changes made at once (proper spring rates, steering damper). If there is
anyone making this change for whom the stock spring rate is already correct,
it would be interesting to hear the feedback on the cartridge change itself.
I know that a pro re-valve on a dirt bike can really make it feel planted, but
then, dirt suspension gets a bit more of a workout (and is cheaper to mod).

Seems like a great mod (although not exactly pocket change!)... glad RaceTech
has continued to support our little market niche in the Hyper.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I told you it was worth EVERY PENNY!!

they are fantastic and I'm glad someone else can now back up that claim.

Did you get the shock done as well? you really should get them to spring / valve it and put the rebound separator in. its a pretty cheap job and you can drop the shock so easily. no point in doing one end and not the other.

my guru also raised the forks in the clams about 5mm to balance the bike and give a quicker turn in. this helps heaps!

Oh yeah, if you want to get the most out the brakes upgrade your master to a better quality one (19RCS) you WON'T regret that with these kits in your forks. you'll outbrake anything!!

good work..

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
If you use RaceTechs spring rate calculator the suggest around .868 kg/mm spring rate for the fronts for a 205 lb rider (no gear). You round to the nearest spring rate available, which is probably .85 kg/mm, which is what Karlr did with his Maxton kit from the UK.

Out!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts