Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, need some input from other racers. My starts lately have been terrible. It's something I'm planning on working at my next track day. For those that have been doing this for awhile, any tips/tricks to successfull good launches? Some guys say have the revs at 8k others at 10k, then release the clutch. I'm not sure if I'm doing something incorrectly, or if I should be working the clutch differently with a slipper for fast starts. I'd like to avoid the power wheelie outta first.

Thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Go to your local dragstrip for test/tune and practice with the tree. This will help with reaction time and clutch/throttle control.

·
Registered
62 Posts
What bike are you riding? I'm asking because my starting method with my 848differs from my 998.

Do you use a quickshifter? Also, do you use reverse or standard shift? Practicing at a trackday is a good idea for sure.

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
Go to your local dragstrip for test/tune and practice with the tree. This will help with reaction time and clutch/throttle control.
+1

I've taken a couple of my racer friends out to do this (as I used to drag race a Hayabusa as well as track day/canyon riding). Drag racing is NOT easy, but it did give the guys a huge advantage over the other racers when they put some time into learning how to launch a bike in race trim.

My buddy Taylor, to this day, still usually hole shots 2-3 rows by the time the first corner arrives. It definately helps.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slipper clutch, 749R... Definitely will practice this weekend, but wondering what's working for others currently?? Hate to burn the clutch out in the process of experimenting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts