Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if the Race ECU is simply a plug & play upgrade? If so it seems almost too good to be true!!!

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,253 Posts
Race ECUs are just altered fuel mapping. You need the modifications to go with it to get the most out of it. You'll need a free-flowing exhaust and less restrictive air intake.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am on top of that!! A few years ago the ECU was not interchangeable, if I wanted a race ECU on my ST3 the ECU would have to be re-flashed unless it was a new/re-flashed "virgin" ECU.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,253 Posts
OK, hold on. Now you have me questioning my response. Don't go committing to anything based on my reply just yet. You may have to pair the ECU with the dash which would not make it plug-and-play, exactly.

Hey, @ducvet or @belter, do you have any wisdom?

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
I would have to research that particular swap to be 100%

Often you need to re-set the tps with software at a minimum.
If the ecu has paired with the immobilizer you need it re-set (virgin) or removed if possible.
Some of the later models (which yours might be) have no immobilizer in the ecu it is in the dash only. which should allow you to simply install it.

you certainly would be best off to contact your dealer with your model and what ecu you are looking at. Most Dp ecu's of that era also keep the O2 sensors.

Lets see if Belter has more up to date info, If not I will look into it a bit for you but if I am going to do so I need your year and model bike as well as what ecu you are planning on.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have done a little research and it appears that a used race ECU is interchangeable with other multistradas within the same model year/generation. Naturally I go out and buy a used ECU before I thought to ask you guys.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
The 2010-2012 ECUs are all interchangeable and are plug and play. The Termis came with the "DP" ECU which replaced the stock ECU. In 2013, they switched to the new map being on a jump drive you plugged into the bike. I took my stock ECU off of my 2011 and sent it to Redline to get it mapped to my configuration. If you end up removing the ECU, feel free to hit me up. I can provide some pointers that will make the process less painful.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My 2010 with the full Termi setup does not have exhaust flap servo or O2 sensors. Surely the race ECU that comes with it is recalibrated for this fact.

*EDIT - I was misunderstanding. I thought the full Termi setup did not have O2, but I found them on my setup. I mistakenly thought they were removed.

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
i've only ever flashed the original ecu, never replaced one. i was told the ecu does a tps reference at each key on. so you just fit it and go i would think.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good news! It appears that the modern multistrada ECU's are interchanable. I purchased a used race ECU and the damn thing is working as it should. No errors, no explosions, and no fuming that I threw away a couple of hundred bucks. Of course the install was a PTA because I choose to pull the fuel tank but I had nothing else to do on a stormy day. To me this seems like a miracle because the older ECU's had to be a brand new "virgin" ECU or a reflash to work.

I am running the Termi stubby with a gutted catalyst and I will see how it is running tomorrow. I might just spring for a new exhaust because that freaking heat shield messes with my right heel causing my right foot to touch down way too often. Thanks for the feedback!!

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
it just depends on the make and model of ecu and the bike (type of immobilisor mainly) it was originally fitted to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts