Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2006 S4R.... have had since new, love my bike no problem's till now. Electrical issues hopefully its not sirious.

I stopped to get fuel after long ride, hoped back on after paying for fuel and nothing not even a click, I took the seat off to investergate and the regulator was very hot, not going anywere so i trucked it home only 5klm luckily, the first thing is battery and yes it was dead so replaced that, still nothing but also with the key in the off position the regulator was getting hot, I immediately disconnected the possitive lead then took the R/R out.... connected the battery back up, the dash come on and turned the key, there is a click from starter motor but nothing else.
Questions are 1) Is it normal for the R/R to get hot with the key in off position
2) Can i test the starter motor in the bike
3) Have i damaged any other components
after reading some of the post's on Ducati forum it sounds like i may need to upgrade the wireing from stater, or is this just provention ?

Regards Rob

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Looks like you need a new RR.
With key off and RR hot means power is running through it and it should not.
Not sure what you mean about testing the starter motor.
Even with the key off you can bridge across the two large cables/posts on the starter solenoid and it should turn over.
Make sure you are in neutral.
You probably have not damaged other components. Damage comes when the RR fails to regulate and electronics are subject to too high voltage.
Some upgrade wiring from the stator, but that will not be your issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like you need a new RR.
With key off and RR hot means power is running through it and it should not.
Not sure what you mean about testing the starter motor.
Even with the key off you can bridge across the two large cables/posts on the starter solenoid and it should turn over.
Make sure you are in neutral.
You probably have not damaged other components. Damage comes when the RR fails to regulate and electronics are subject to too high voltage.
Some upgrade wiring from the stator, but that will not be your issue.
Okay thanks Punch, i appercate the you feed back that will be my next purchase.
Might as well upgrade the forum has been great (y)

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
As it works with the RR unplugged, the RR would have been drawing power and flattening your battery.
There are many posts about aftermarket RRs. Shindengeng or similar name seems popular. Look also for MOSFET.
Suggest you edit your Profile then in the About tab, add in your location.
You never know, someone, including me, might live nearby.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Here is one of the many threads.
Happy reading!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts