Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After highsiding in a tight left corner, i have to say goodbye to my Termignoni silencers…

I was lucky to be able to steer into the green and landed finally in a
water drainage.
As it had rained the whole night before, all was soaked and muddy.

No damage to the painted parts… the fork stops of the frame were slightly
touched left and right by the set screws… what a silly construction… :confused:
So i modified it at once…

I managed to get the bike out with the help of my friend and drove back to my mechanic.
We washed and examined every part…
The stops were alligned and the shift lever corrected a bit… that's all.

The tortured Termis were a pain i my eye and so i mounted the stock exhausts… i am keen on the results.

Someone who is willing to invest some time could open them and try to pop out the dents… i am done with this overpriced Ducati product…

What upsets my most is the fact that Ducati doesn't sell the Termignoni silencers as single parts… They are only available as a set with DP ECU and airbox lid!:mad:
The DP ECU is sold separately and costs 2/3 of the whole package…

This kind of marketing drives me crazy… what a stupid idea.

Almost every company offers the silencers as single parts as they are a wear article…
I will definitely go for a product where i can buy the single mufflers!

Fresco is my first choice right now as they are nicely made and the price is fair… 400 € in stainless steel for a pair!

By the way:
My dealer said that the results with stock cans + DP ECU and open airbox are better than the Termis with DB Killers… I will check and report as soon as i can swing my totured left leg over the bike again…

Attachments

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Sorry to hear about it.
The Termis are the first thing to be damaged when you go down, and I agree it's nuts you can't buy them singly.

Let us know what exhaust you go with.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Oh man, I feel your pain having just done the same thing to the exact same pipes on my own ride. Fortunately mine came out with only a barely noticeable flat spot on the bottom and the rest just scratches everywhere. I'm thinking of powder-coating/painting them and calling it good. Of course it looks like yours are beyond that route...

Has anyone had success drilling out the stockers?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Shit dude, sorry to hear about the off. Couldn't agree more...these things should be sold singularly as a replacement. Insane.

Looking forward to the report on the replacements!! :)

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
What upsets my most is the fact that Ducati doesn't sell the Termignoni silencers as single parts… They are only available as a set with DP ECU and airbox lid!:mad:
The DP ECU is sold separately and costs 2/3 of the whole package…

This kind of marketing drives me crazy… what a stupid idea.
Here in the US you can buy the individual parts. I bought a new silencer for my Termi 2-into-1 system.

(I dropped the bike in my shop and the swing arm put a small dent in the silencer. :mad: As small as the dent was, I couldn't stand to look at it so the parts manager at the BMW/Ducati dealership ordered me a new one.)

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Has anyone had success drilling out the stockers?
Someone in SoCal shortened and gutted the stock silencers in an '06. They looked great.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here in the US you can buy the individual parts. I bought a new silencer for my Termi 2-into-1 system.

(I dropped the bike in my shop and the swing arm put a small dent in the silencer. :mad: As small as the dent was, I couldn't stand to look at it so the parts manager at the BMW/Ducati dealership ordered me a new one.)
Good for you… i know these feelings if something disturbs your view;)

I had a long discussion with my dealer and all he had to offer was a complete system for 25% less…

Can you imagine that Ducati wants almost 1K € for this DP ECU… and 110 € for two DB eaters

I am done with accessory parts from these Panigale fartheads…

I am not willing to pay "beauty surgeon" prizes

·
Registered
150 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your excursion into the "green environment", Poolagent. :eek: The most important thing is that you end up relatively undamaged (except for the sore left leg), as the bike can always be fixed, even if the cost is uncomfortably high. I have confidence that your usual research and good decisions will restore the Sport to better than "pre-event" condition.

Bolder

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am sorry to hear about your excursion into the "green environment", Poolagent. :eek: The most important thing is that you end up relatively undamaged (except for the sore left leg), as the bike can always be fixed, even if the cost is uncomfortably high. I have confidence that your usual research and good decisions will restore the Sport to better than "pre-event" condition.

Bolder
I am extremely lucky that i only have a sore leg and some pain in the back musculature from falling.

·
Registered
517 Posts
poolagent: Sorry to hear about your highside, but glad to know you're faily unharmed.
It could have been much worse!!
Good luck rebuilding the bike...
Wishing you a fast recovery!!

~k

·
Registered
173 Posts

Huh, I didn't know that...do you recall what that ran you, ballpark?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Won't the ECU/air box work on after market cans? If not, isn't the FatDuc cheaper? From what I have seen, stainless silencers are not cheap from any source. Staintunes are over 1k USD.

·
Registered
323 Posts
No damage to the painted parts… the fork stops of the frame were slightly
touched left and right by the set screws… what a silly construction… :confused:
So i modified it at once…
I don't follow what you mean about the steering stops. What did you think was wrong with the design, and how did you modify it?

I was just looking at those pipes...I'm not sure how I feel about them.
see here
-The 2-1 for the 06 is nice looking, but its about 6" too long and looks poorly engineered between the Y and the can...looks like it wasn't designed, they just went "oh shit, we forgot to connect these 2 ends! see if piece will fit". And they should have redesigned the hangar instead of just not using the lower front bolt.
-2-2 for the 07+ also seems to be about 6" too long. They just don't look right. The angle is slightly off on from the triangles (at least it seems to be from the pics)
-The 06 2-2 is just not attractive. I absolutely love the idea, but the angle as compared to the seat cowl is horrible. this could be the winner of the 3, but it's just not in the right place.

These are all of course IMHO :)

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't follow what you mean about the steering stops. What did you think was wrong with the design, and how did you modify it?
The fork has set screws that create a punctual force on the frame stops…

I have made some polyamide parts that are screwed onto the set screws and damp + distribute the load without digging into…

Furthermore, i will mount special stoppers on the top tubes of the frame( see picture below)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Huh, I didn't know that...do you recall what that ran you, ballpark?
I think it was between $600 or $700. It was about a year ago and I don't have the receipt handy. The big cost for the system is the ECU.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Today i had the first ride after my botanical investigation and checked my temporary solution for the bent Termis…

The OEM silencers in combination with DP ECU and lid work just fine… Especially in the lower revs, the bike has lots of torque and seems to run smoother than with the Termis…

Between 3000 and 4000 rpm there's much more coherence… no shaking or rattling!

Maybe the bigger volume of the cans helps to develop more torque and adds more motor brake power too… i don't know:confused:

This solution will keep me satisfied till the Frescos have arrived for a check:)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident Poolagent. Hope you are back in action soon. If you need any parts from the US let me know...
"botanical investigation" was funny thanks!

·
Registered
503 Posts
Cheers Poolagent....glad you have maintained your excellent sense of humor of the "off".

Lookin forward to the ride report on the new cans.

Roger

1 - 20 of 35 Posts