Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

Sadd news,I just got the news my ST4 is kinda beyond repair. One way or another the lid of the left side carter broke out from the inside out. Not a clue why but it happend.

Appartently the repairs (no 2e hand cover available) is that expensive that it is not worth it to repair. On top of that, as said i don't know why it broke out , i found it running strange lately .. (wanted to get it serviced in a week+ but it didn't make it that long) So i feel like there was a delicate but destrectuve inner problem.

I decided to take it apart and sell the usefull parts seperately and keep the frame. (of my first duc) and by the time i get some better income i can start the project of bying high quality parts back and create it anew.

so now the search for a real decent but budget bike needs to start.
there are 2 ptions (for now) both dealer bikes.

1: duc MTS620 multistrada (just a 620 :( ) even the foto makes it look like a toy.. but i want your advice on this. 3200 euro, 45000km 1 year garanty and red. would like that part from 2005.

2: far more expensive 6500 (but price might drop a little for me, motoguzzi V7 naked bike 1 year old. 3000km, tomorrow i'm gonna try it anyway.. just for fun.

3: look for another ST, that search starts tonight. and use my old as spare parts.

4: look for another duc

5: look for another italian

6: look for something completely different (oh no please not)

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
ST's are so inexpensive stateside it's a simple decision for me. I found an ST4s with 12000 miles for roughly $6k dollars with loads of aftermarket extras. When I concuder how much bike I bought and what I'd have to pay for anything newer.

My only fear is an accident where even minor event cause them to total the bike.

Good luck

Bob

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
Not sure if I am following what has happened here. Are you saying your left side, generator cover, is cracked?

If so, you can get three phase left side covers off eBay for a lot less than another bike, even considering what it may cost to ship to you.

Did the flywheel nut come loose? If that happened, then you may also have crankshaft damage but you'd need to have a look first.

Maybe post some pics.

I personally cannot reconcile junking a bike due to some engine damage. I guess if the whole engine was junk because of it, maybe, if it would be too much to source another or repair what you have. Even if the crank needed to be replaced, you could source used parts to get the thing going again. I don't know your situation, just saying the direction I'd likely go.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ Bob Mc Carthy: you are right i was silly, actually looking into an ST4s at the moment. just thoughts though.

@ SS904: I know you are right, but over time there has been a lot of damage.. superficial but still.
Also I found it's handling off now for a while now too. I understand that (even though the dealer says different) the left side generator cover being cracked (indeed) is replacable. spare part will be available but i feel the crack is not the cause of the problem but the result of an underlying problem/ which i've been noticing as being off. Which might have started long ago with all those engine problems i had. Also, although i love to i really don't have the time to tool around next year for sure.
But at this point i might get enough money together from some insurance money for the damage, few hunderd bucks wages and the money i can still get for my old bike end few months not riding (will be working close at home) to get myself a ST4s senna in near mint condition with just 17000km. sort of feels like i've been putting money to waist on this bike for long enough. The milegae has been turned back before i bought it 99% sure of it.

i just think it's not worth it anymore. specially with such a nice offer (still need to go and check, but at least this time i'll know what to look for and at.

on this topic.. i know a lot but some tips from you guys on how to check for things that are not proper.

these were the points i thought off.
1) maintenance booklett (but i already know that the former owner (apperently a local collector) didn't keep this, which is a minus point, all other maintenance has been recorded since then
2) cracks in the odomotor plastic 'glass' cover
3) under the buddy seat of fractures of the mountings of the side fairings (which break real quickly qpparently, so if the are oke than there will be not much usage)
4) brake fluid and clutch fluid condition and originality
5) left and right side generator covers (paint jobs)
6) no pasted gasgets (original ones)

that with the spring tension, sound of engine (which will be different ofcourse but still)

also, do you guys agree that the buddy of an st3 is more comfortable than a st4 as he replaced one with the other for comfort?

anyway, all checking tips will be VERY welcome
And also comments about STs vs ST4s (non ABS)

and again also..
which of the parts below are interchangeble between ST4 and ST4s:

rear chain sprocket (got non original new once being waiting for installment)
rear and front brake pads (got non original new once being waiting for installment)
Clutch gasget and tension pack (rather new on the old one, seems like a bit of a waist)

in depth comments to all this will be highly appreciated.

kind greatings to you all!

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
I'm a little confused, but I speak Texan, not English so that makes sense.

To me mint means "No" issues at all. like new with a little age based wear. Any cracks, or other than perfect bodywork, instruments etc is a disqualifier.

I know my European brothers use there bikes differently than found in the USA. I bought my last bike from a doctor who had 7 bikes. The ST had reasonable usage and no issues whatsoever.

What I saw reviewing his records were annual trips to the dealer for oil changes etc.

Paperwork is essential, manuals are not.

hope this helps,

bob

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we'll sorry, i'm dutch so it my english is probably wurse and you will most likely be right. I choose the wrong word here.

anyway, the st4s fellow decided out of the blue, not to sell it to me. Sounds a bit fishy, he probably got scared as i showed more than no knowledge.. so i should probably be happy that he went that direction. wouldn't have matter much anyway as in the time he decided that, i decided not to go for an ST4s but for a ST2. mainly because of the less maintanence needed for those tipes of bikes and still for a lot the same. Well that's what my dealer told me anyways.. and not to sell me a ST2 'cause he doesn't have any.

I personally find that the price of the ST2's are more accomodating to my wallet.

On the other hand.. found a spareright generator cover for only 150 euro. but i'm not willing to bett my bike on it that that is the only issue.

so plan, for now..
1) buy ST2 cash,
2) strip all parts i might be able to use from the ST4 myself, store them.
3) sell the rest of the bike in parts. except frame and engineblock itselve
4) while i'm doing that i will strip down the engine blok (over a long long time) and learn more about it. this way i can clean it all up, put it back together as new and have full confidence again. and be more knowledge to do more home maintanance.
and keep it or sell it.
5) frame will always stay with me..

sound like a good or bad plan... ?

kind greatings

Matthieu

still tips to check besides the once i put up there to verify a good histrory will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@cb4265

Thanks for your comment, really appreciated. And although you might be absolutely right im kinda fed up with the issues with the entire bike (ST4) for now. I really want something different, something i will not have as much problems with as I had with this one. Also, i discussed this with my dealer (as i wouldn't have the time to do this myself, nor knowledge but this i could gain if there was time)

reading through al this (specially also you comment in my other topic) i feel like i want a bike, ST2 or maybe 3, that i feel i can trust, but with all the problems i read about i'm not so sure i should stick with ducati while i can buy a nice BMW ST for a similar price. Just a thought though.

The last one i looked at yesterday had a paintjob done, clearly because of it's missing clearcoat. It had been in a accident. Someone hit it in the rear when driving in a group, the exhaust was damaged on the left side and other minor things. but under the new coating i felt a flet surface on the right side of the cockpit streamline and some small damage on steering weights and a minor bent in the steer on the right side. Which indicates a fall to me. The seller said he road the bike approx 2000 km over the last 5 years but his wife argued that it was more like 500 km. Before it was owned by a friend, the one that does the maintenance in those 5 years, so he is probably the one that repainted it.

and i'm not so sure if i can trust a guy who sells a crash bike to a friend without telling him, excepting the idea the seller doesn't know. And it the seller knows that i don't trust the seller.

either way, it feel like looking one.
that is why i looked around again and saw the ST3, which interests me too.

Kind regards.

Matt

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Have you looked into buying a used ST2 engine to stick in your existing bike?

I'm pretty sure most things are a straight swap except exhaust headers.
The TBs mount quite differently - I know you can't run a ST4 engine in a ST2 frame due to a cross-member in the way of where they need to go, but I'm not 100% sure about the reverse. If the ST4 has nothing in that area, then probably GTG for a 944 motor, but if it simply has a different cross-member, it might interfere as well.

Reactions: spikey1973

·
Registered
545 Posts
Here's another idea... i have a spare St4s motor in the backyard. It's a little cosmetically rough but it would definitely liven up your st4

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
Here's another idea... i have a spare St4s motor in the backyard. It's a little cosmetically rough but it would definitely liven up your st4
That would be cool, but shipping to Belgium might be a deal killer!

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@Travis: I do appreciate your idea but the same counts as for the ST2, I'm going to leave that bike alone for the time being and make it a long term project. Now i'll be buying an ST2 (i think) have another beauty in the scope. Unfortunately yellow and not red so it'll be a bit slower. ;)

Kind greatings

MAtt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts