Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to work this morning I noticed the engine was running hotter than normal, but still below the "HOLY SH*T" range. As soon as I got to work I checked the coolant level in the expansion tank. That little window sucks but I'm fairly positive my coolant is well below the minimum level marker. I stuck a zip-tie in there as makeshift dipstick and it did show a small amount of coolant in the reservoir. Upon further inspection I noticed a small coolant leak coming from my R&G water pump cover/slider. God knows how long this has been there (recently purchased the bike). I've searched and read just about every post about coolant replacement and flushing, and I'm not sure what direction to take. I obviously need to fix the leak first. I shot R&G an email to see what they had to say about it. As for the coolant...do you guys recommend attempting to top off via the expansion tank, or do I need to refill from the radiator cap? If so, how do you know that you have the appropriate level? Do you just fill until fluid spill out of the right side bleeder hole? Again, I've read quite a bit but I'm just not tracking. Too many contact sports and explosions I guess. My maintenance manual is literally in the mail. I'd appreciate any help fellas.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Has the coolant leak eaten the paint on the housing? If not it's fresh. Wipe it off and try to tighten the bolts first. If it still leaks, just pull it off, reseal it and bob's your uncle....

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Minor paint corrosion on the housing but it's there. When you say reseal are you referring to the entire pump cover or just the bolt housing? The pump cover itself is good to go. It's only leaking through the bolt housing if that makes sense. The first thing I did was attempt to tighten but it still leaks past the bolt. I wish I had the factory bolts so I can just get rid of the R&G cover. I'm fairly certain that would solve my problem.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
Minor paint corrosion on the housing but it's there. When you say reseal are you referring to the entire pump cover or just the bolt housing? The pump cover itself is good to go. It's only leaking through the bolt housing if that makes sense. The first thing I did was attempt to tighten but it still leaks past the bolt. I wish I had the factory bolts so I can just get rid of the R&G cover. I'm fairly certain that would solve my problem.
Yeah- and what does. "bobs your Uncle" mean?

·
Registered
702 Posts
Fill from the rad fill hole under the keyguard cover. Open the top rad bleed tube, Allen wrench on top right side of upper rad. Poor liquid till it leaks thru (while engine running), then close everything up and check level in overflow tank last.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fill from the rad fill hole under the keyguard cover. Open the top rad bleed tube, Allen wrench on top right side of upper rad. Poor liquid till it leaks thru (while engine running), then close everything up and check level in overflow tank last.

That's the answer I was looking for, Sam. Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts