Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wanting to get rid of that mass of plastic on the back of the Streetfighter, as I have done on just about every other motorcycle I've owned, I jumped on the R&G Racing Tail Tidy when it became available. It arrived yesterday and I put it on this morning. Here are some pictures of my completed install as well as a few notes about the product and the installation process.

Here you will notice that the holes in the Carbon Frame and license plate are not used. That is because the base of the tail tidy that the plate mounts to has a max distance of 5 inches between holes for plate screws. My tag, which is pretty much the same as most states I think, is 6 inches between the mounting holes :mad:. So I had to drill new holes closer together in my tag to get it to mount to the plate. R&G is a European company but in order to market this product in the U.S., they need to make it work with U.S. sized plates.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50577&d=1246473336

A side angled view of the tidy.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50578&d=1246473336

Here is a shot of the underside of the tidy. I will say that it is a major pain to get all the wires tucked into the cover on the tidy. There is a mile of extra length stuffed into the stock piece that must be folded and crammed up into the provided cover. I see from my picture that I've got to re-route the R blinker wire because it is pinched in the cover :(. The bolts that mount the cover are very short so you have to cram, hold, screw all in one motion which is difficult. If the screws were a little longer, you could possibly start to thread them to hold the cover up, then position the wires and then tighten. But there isn't enough length to do it. It can be done, as you can see, but having an extra hand to screw as the other hands position wires would be helpful :confused:.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50579&d=1246473336

When it is all done, it really does a nice job of cleaning up the back of the bike.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50581&d=1246473336

From the side, it really looks nice.
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=50580&d=1246473336

Changes I'd like to see in the design relate mostly to making it a U.S. spec piece. Spread the license mounting plate out to accommodate our plates first. Then I'd like to see the signals mount further in towards the center. I don't care for them to be too close, but the stalk could be covered up some by the plate and I'd like it better, and it would conceal any wire still showing from behind. And, allow a little more room in the cover underneath for the wires, with slightly longer bolts. I wouldn't want to have the cover too big as that would make it look awkward but it really does need a little more space.

Attachments

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
I am getting this one.. but it's going to be a week or two before it's finally released here in the US.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I still think the blinkers would look 10X better in the air vents;)

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
speaking of air vents... be careful with them, if you pop the rear hatch you can see just what's keeping them in place. I will probably reinforce mine when I get a moment for that sort of task.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Tail Tidy

I purchased and began installing this product yesterday. First, for those trying to remove the stock plate holder, there is a bolt that holds the bottom plate in place that isn't easy to see, in the middle of the bracket, right behind the license plate light in the middle, in a recessed "slot." My failure to notice this bolt made the install much more time consuming and frustrating than required.

Second, I didn't notice until I had everything in pieces that this product does not have mounting holes for a US license plate. Luckily, my local D dealer, Hattar motorsports, where I purchased the product, was kind enough to drill two holes in the "tail" to mount my plate (they also offered to let me return it, but they don't have the DP tail yet, and it's over $200 bucks!). Great service after the sale.

Third, putting the blinkers into the frame is a two person job, with help from WD-40, and many unkind words. I suspect there must be a better way....

Fourth, the hardware for wiring up the license plate light is a PITA to install, and doesn't look like it will last, but we'll see.

Also, I may attempt to bend the bracket so that it is at more of an angle relative to the back of the bike.

Conclusion - hard to recommend this product. While it is $80 dollars less than the DP part, it is still pricey at $130+. The turn signals, with their "boltless" design make a tail replacement hard to make on your own (which is what I usually do). If I had to do it again, I think I would skip the turn signals all together, and make a simple bracket from aluminum or other stock and just hang the plate. I went for the tail to avoid the headache of fabrication, but spent just as much time, and a bunch more money, on this product.

timmp

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I purchased and began installing this product yesterday. First, for those trying to remove the stock plate holder, there is a bolt that holds the bottom plate in place that isn't easy to see, in the middle of the bracket, right behind the license plate light in the middle, in a recessed "slot." My failure to notice this bolt made the install much more time consuming and frustrating than required.

Second, I didn't notice until I had everything in pieces that this product does not have mounting holes for a US license plate. Luckily, my local D dealer, Hattar motorsports, where I purchased the product, was kind enough to drill two holes in the "tail" to mount my plate (they also offered to let me return it, but they don't have the DP tail yet, and it's over $200 bucks!). Great service after the sale.

Third, putting the blinkers into the frame is a two person job, with help from WD-40, and many unkind words. I suspect there must be a better way....

Fourth, the hardware for wiring up the license plate light is a PITA to install, and doesn't look like it will last, but we'll see.

Also, I may attempt to bend the bracket so that it is at more of an angle relative to the back of the bike.

Conclusion - hard to recommend this product. While it is $80 dollars less than the DP part, it is still pricey at $130+. The turn signals, with their "boltless" design make a tail replacement hard to make on your own (which is what I usually do). If I had to do it again, I think I would skip the turn signals all together, and make a simple bracket from aluminum or other stock and just hang the plate. I went for the tail to avoid the headache of fabrication, but spent just as much time, and a bunch more money, on this product.

timmp
Well i dont know how you fitted yours but mine was a piece of piss. It took me 20 mins from start to finish & the indicators were a doddle. If you check the turn signals they are,nt boltless , look inside them you can remove the end of it to make it bolt on.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Blackie:

Too bad you aren't local - I would have gladly bought the beer to watch you install this bugger in 20 minutes!!!

...and I bet your license plate fit without having to drill new mounting holes, as well.

Oh, well, live, learn, repeat.

tim

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Yes mate it did fit . I dont use holes i use double sided tape. Its been tested to 160mph so i know it not going to fall off.

Being a UK company i suppose they are made usually for our plates in the UK

I really liked the way the indicators just slid in like that , far better than fuckin about trying to get them level with bolts.

Beer, did you mention beer....:)

·
1,642 Posts
double sided tape!? really!?.. I don't know that I could trust that,, but just maybe I'll try it :)

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
double sided tape!? really!?.. I don't know that I could trust that,, but just maybe I'll try it :)
Yes Bill.

A lot of folk in the UK use the strips of double sided tape , they even sell it in the car shops.
BUT
Take note that it sticks like shit to a blanket when warm so make sure its straight before putting it on.

If anyones interested for a few quid i can send the stuff i use, its in strips about 1 inch wide by 4 inch long.

Dont forget our plates are perspex & as such flat at the back, we dont have pushed out letters like some of you guys

Yes If you check the pics of my tidy fitting you will see NO screw holes

·
Registered
54 Posts
Beer!

Yes Blackie, when you're in the states, come visit - sunshine, curvy roads, good food, and I'll provide all the beer you can consume.

Cheers!

tim

·
1,642 Posts
hmm,,

well our plates here (in Arkansawwww) are aluminum with pressed and painted letters.
I usually try to find some stainless screws or hex screws to mount the plate. I can see the double stick tape working with a flat plate
is this material, perspex, some form of plastic?

shit on a blanket huh?... I hate it when that happens:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts