Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am trying to learn on ducatis since I am new to them. So what are the differences between the models? I wanna know so I can decide on what to purchase. And are parts for these bikes special from the regular models? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
The Ducati website is a great source of basic information, including for past years. There even is a model comparison feature.

·
Registered
198 Posts
"S" is for spendy.

"R" is for ridiculous.

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
HAHAHAHA...

Thanks for visiting us on Ducati-MS. But, it's probably best you go to Ducati and you'll have all the data you need.

The R is worth every nickel..But you need alot of them!

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
Not to be nosy, but what do you want to spend? That will determine a lot of what you get when it comes to Ducati's. And, your name has 996 in it. Is that the model you are looking to get?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not to be nosy, but what do you want to spend? That will determine a lot of what you get when it comes to Ducati's. And, your name has 996 in it. Is that the model you are looking to get?
i love the look of the 996 but i am familiar with the 999. i have actually worked on the 999 with a friend in Japan. and i asked people here and it looks like a 999 will be a better choice. lets see maybe up to 12k i would like to spend on a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
You are definitely in the S range for the 999, but out of the R range for the 999. You should be able to get a very nice low mileage S in very good condition. Don't forget the red key and key card if you get one. Demand those. For the money, I have seen 1098 models. I have a 749 and like that style better than the 848/1098 style IMO. But, money wise, you should be able to get a great 999S or a base 1098.

·
Registered
120 Posts
"S" is for spendy.

"R" is for ridiculous.

+1 on what Silver said. All Ducs are spendy. R's are crazy spendy. Parts are less available, more expensive and overall for racers or people with money &/or time to burn on upkeep. This is a bit of an opinion, I've never owned an R, but looked into it and talked out of by a dealer.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ask yourself these questions:

1. How do I plan to ride the bike (street, track, combo)?
2. How much can I afford upfront?
3. How much can I spend for maintenance (including tires)?
4. What can I add to the bike to suit my needs and the cost to do so?
5. Am I willing to spend more than I need to have something more exclusive?:cool:
6. Is it more important to have the brand I want versus the most economical and still enjoy the ride?

Hope it helps.

·
Chilehead
6,980 Posts
A late model 999S will be close to R the in most aspects, other than the engine and fairing.

An early S is much different, and would cost more to upgrade to R specs than just buying the R.

Tom

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
"S" is for spendy.

"R" is for ridiculous.
Combine the two letters (RS) for ridiculously spendy......

A brief list of items recommended by Ducati to change on the older 998RS02 at 500kms (that’s 500, not 5000)

•Opening rocker arms
•Closing rocker arms
•Big-end shells (Rods are changed at 4000kms)
•Crank-cases
•Cylinders & Pistons
•Cam-belts
•Clutch plates
•Oil and filter
•Valves

1 - 12 of 12 Posts