Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
I had the "quiet mod" for many miles and was fairly happy with it. However, I noticed it did take away from the "feel" of the shift, and made it more "tight" I wouldn't do it again, though I can confirm it works.

·
Registered
34 Posts
can someone please post the picture for the newbies on the plate that goes further down? I've read the thread and i think i understand what needs to be done, but i'd rather be 100% sure then mess up my clutch :)

Thanks

·
Registered
954 Posts
can someone please post the picture for the newbies on the plate that goes further down? I've read the thread and i think i understand what needs to be done, but i'd rather be 100% sure then mess up my clutch :)

Thanks

Remove ALL plates

Push one friction plate RIGHT at the back of the clutch basket

Refit plates in order they came out of!

Doesnt affect the stack height, just supports the plates & stops them all *jingling* around? LOT quieter... Will try an get a pic next time Im in there. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have an oil clutch, so I don't have a dog in this fight. But I must ask, "why hasn't Ducati built the clutch this way?". Seems odd, that they have been built like this for so many years, and a building full of engineers could not come up with a solution this simple. Or a solution at all, for that matter. I'm not saying it's impossible, but all these years of development must count for something, no?

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have an oil clutch, so I don't have a dog in this fight. But I must ask, "why hasn't Ducati built the clutch this way?". Seems odd, that they have been built like this for so many years, and a building full of engineers could not come up with a solution this simple. Or a solution at all, for that matter. I'm not saying it's impossible, but all these years of development must count for something, no?
You are expecting Ducati to alter something they have been famous for for decades.... I have done the mod and like it, but there are many tens of thousands of Ducati purists who would be up in arms over a quiet dry clutch.

·
Registered
42 Posts
O.K, there it is then. I personally like the signature racket, and apparently so does Ducati. However, I would think that if the Airport is calling your house about the noise, it's time for a new clutch assembly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Remove ALL plates

Doesnt affect the stack height, just supports the plates & stops them all *jingling* around? LOT quieter... Will try an get a pic next time Im in there. :)
Thanks bud.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Remove ALL plates

Tonight I did exactly this on my 1098s, And I don't think anything has changed. Was I supposed to remove anything that's closest to the pressure plate? Maybe last steel plate or friction plate before steel plate and pressure plate?

It seems a bit thick now as the pressure plate maybe has 2-3mm of the teeth on the basket... And I didn't even want to tighten the springs all the way. I think I have about 3 more turns until full tighten.

Any advice gents?

Thanks

·
Registered
432 Posts
At the bottom of the stack (closest to the basket) there should be two steel plates together. I _replaced_ the last steel plate with an old friction plate on my 900SSie and my 748s.

Stock: BSSFSFSFSFSFP
Quiet: BFSFSFSFSFSFP

B=Basket
S=Steel plate
F=Friction plate
P=Pressure plate
(total amount of F and S plates in my example may not be accurate)

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Okay... I'll do that... At one point i removed the last Steel plate and just had Pressure plate resting on the Last friction plate... but i don't think it made much difference....

I'll report back. I still have open clutch cover and the open pressure plate...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Works on my 999. I replaced the first steel plate today with an old friction plate and it is noticeable how much quieter the clutch is when idling and in neutral. It's louder now when the clutch lever is pulled in whereas it used to be noisier before. Thanks for the write up all these years later!

81 - 93 of 93 Posts