Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
thanks for this info. I'm curious about leaving out a couple of the springs as was described. I will admit i would not mind less effort at the clutch lever. Any risk or downside to leaving out 2 springs?
I think you should be cautious about leaving springs out. Another option would be to use lighter duty springs.
why use any springs for that matter? contrary to popular belief, those springs are not in there to "increase lever effort". They really do serve a purpose...... google it:think:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really hope rz33v4 shows up soon to correct any gramatical errors I may have made in the above post:)
Don't know about your grand'ma,... but people better keep there springs in if they want their pack to stick! Of course one could do a slipper clutch mod with just one spring..... It would slip all the time!

BTW, the quiet mod works great!

-Kurt

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
That's the beauty of this mod, you still get the lovely tambourine sound with the lever pulled, but lose the "oops I left a wrench in my crankcase" sound in neutral / lever out...
I did the mod, (a variation) this afternoon, and can hear my arrows for the first time. Feel and engagement point unchanged, still stands up with a crack of throttle, and neutral is easy to find.

Kurt
+1 Ok did the mod....the old lady next door brought me some cookies! :D Still have the tambourine music but no more...."Hey mister when is the cement going to come out of your mufflers" sound. I can hear my cam belts whirring away and my exhaust throb more now. All those fine Italian mechanicals bits are more audible now. Funny, myi bike is still loud but my neighbors say they are glad I did something to "fix" my bike. :D

When I get a more "normal" schedule I may reverse the mod because I'm sure the guys at the local Duc meet will wonder when I pull up why my clutch is broken! ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Interesting that those who claim success with this mod seem to have tried it, whereas those who disparage it have not. Perhaps it would be helpful to hear from anyone who has tried it and not found it effective. Anyone? FWIW it works for me - no slippage, less noise. Oh, and I'm familiar with the function of the various parts of my clutch, thank you. TT

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
wow, all of 1/2 hrs work to undo, real tough project there.

Hehe, took me less than 15 minutes! (not counting removal of left fairing)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Interesting that those who claim success with this mod seem to have tried it, whereas those who disparage it have not. Perhaps it would be helpful to hear from anyone who has tried it and not found it effective. Anyone? FWIW it works for me - no slippage, less noise. Oh, and I'm familiar with the function of the various parts of my clutch, thank you. TT
That is a common affliction in any forum. How about all those who say Ducatis are crap? I haven't found one who has actually sat on one let alone own one..:D

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm still trying to understand why anyone would want to quieten their dry clutch down, let alone why anyone would want to remove springs to reduce lever effort ...

Just buy a Honda!

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I'm still trying to understand why anyone would want to quieten their dry clutch down, let alone why anyone would want to remove springs to reduce lever effort ...
For me not so much to quiet the clutch but to hopefully lengthen the life of a consumable part on an already expensive to maintain bike. $500 for a clutch pack in NZ! Can't be good all that clanging of the plates against the basket.

Agree with you on the spring removal though.

·
Registered
442 Posts

Just buy a Honda!
Your kidding me right! Like the clutch beating itself up and bystanders thinking something is wrong with your bike makes you proud?

Jerry
04 ST4s

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
And the wear rate is only quicker on the post-'03 bikes with the alloy clutch basket...
Yes agree with you on Supersport models and yes this is the supersport forum. I still think that wear rates will be quicker but not as accelerated as on the aluoy baskets..............more clackity clack more wear...alloy or steel.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Your kidding me right! Like the clutch beating itself up and bystanders thinking something is wrong with your bike makes you proud?
I knew exactly what I was getting into when I bought my bikes. In my opinion Ducati's have slowly got softer over recent years as Ducati try to build refined bikes to suit everyone and compete with the Japanese. So yeh I'm happy with a loud clutch, heavy clutch lever, no steering lock and a motor unhappy at low rpm ... all part of the Ducati experience.

I ride it everyday and usually run an open clutch cover !

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I really hope rz33v4 shows up soon to correct any gramatical errors I may have made in the above post:)
Never mind the grammar, how about the rationale..............

If 4 springs provide enough friction to prevent slipping the way he rides, it's all good.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I knew exactly what I was getting into when I bought my bikes. In my opinion Ducati's have slowly got softer over recent years as Ducati try to build refined bikes to suit everyone and compete with the Japanese. So yeh I'm happy with a loud clutch, heavy clutch lever, no steering lock and a motor unhappy at low rpm ... all part of the Ducati experience.

I ride it everyday and usually run an open clutch cover !
+1.

I run an open clutch as well.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #40

Jerry
04 ST4s
I used to get an average of 3 a week "Hey what's wrong with your bike" questions on the street from pedestrians and cagers alike. ( I can't help it that the general population in my city are not familiar with a Ducati let alone what a dry clutch is suppose to sound like) I was getting really tired of telling them "it's suppose to sound like that" thru my full face helmet. Now I just get thumbs up and smiles! :D Did I mention my neighbors are no longer burning crosses on my lawn too? :p

I run an open clutch with lots of blingy anodized clutch parts for all the world to admire. Choice can also be a great part of individuality! In my case I choose to quiet the clack, clack while still remaining unique in a sea of Jap bikes in my city.:p

21 - 40 of 93 Posts