Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Monster 1200S, full Termi exhaust and tune, -1 front sprocket and a set of Dunlop Q3+ tires...

I have noticed that when really going wide open, when I shift from 2nd to 3rd, I notice that the power dips for a second and then comes on, usually as I am letting out the clutch. This is when on an entrance ramp to the freeway or something, so I am 100% throttle and shifting fast as I can, having a little fun. If I am just riding it quickly, no problem. It's when I am really wailing on it, trying to get max acceleration as I jam through the gears...

It's happening so fast that in the bright sunlight I don't notice any warning lights or "T/C" flashing or anything... Just a very pronounced temporary dip in power and then it comes on strong.

My assumption is that in Sport with with DCT set to 2(default), the bike with the -1 front sprocket going from 2nd to third and dumping the clutch like that, might trigger the DTC?

I guess I can test it by disabling it and seeing if it still does it. I see nothing else wonky about the bike and how it rides... I just know that it is a wheelie monster in second and that if it's gonna break the rear end loose for a split second, it is probably when I am WOT and near the rev limiter and grabbing 3rd gear...

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

If that is a DTC thing, I can see myself just disabling DTC in sport for track days or really wanting max fun, and then set touring for DTC 2 or something for that added safety net when I want to go fast but could "use the help", and then leave Urban alone for rain mode...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Mine is the base model, stock trim, I have not been squidly with it.
It accelerates fast enough to get in trouble almost instantly. Have not noticed or felt DTC activate. I am slow. :laugh:

Suggest you try moving DTC one notch at a time from default, test ride, and see how it goes. Same for ABS. There are a lot of possible permutations / different settings you can customize. :smile2:

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
@SquireSCA

Suggest you try moving DTC one notch at a time from default, test ride, and see how it goes. Same for ABS. There are a lot of possible permutations / different settings you can customize.
I concur with the above suggestion.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems much less pronounced with DTC disabled in Sport mode. So I will leave Sport with ABS 2 and DTC Off, and then I set up Touring mode for ABS 2 and DTC 2 for when I want a little electronic safety net.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
You notice that by default sport mode engine power is high, touring mode it is medium, and urban it is low. If I recall correctly. I set touring for high power too, and as I understand the power delivery will be less "instant" than in sport mode, although it is all there. So, less touchy throttle for slow speed maneuvers is what I was looking for there. If I didn't want full power would have bought the smaller engine bike.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You notice that by default sport mode engine power is high, touring mode it is medium, and urban it is low. If I recall correctly. I set touring for high power too, and as I understand the power delivery will be less "instant" than in sport mode, although it is all there. So, less touchy throttle for slow speed maneuvers is what I was looking for there. If I didn't want full power would have bought the smaller engine bike.
If you set engine power mode in Touring to "High", then the throttle response will be the same as Sport. The "Low, Medium and High" all refer to the power and throttle response.

I basically have Sport with High and no TC, but then if I want some TC on a sketchy mountain road but still have full throttle response, I set Touring to be identical to Sport with the only difference being some DTC dialed in...

That's how I understand it to work, someone tell me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I set touring for high power too, and as I understand the power delivery will be less "instant" than in sport mode, although it is all there. So, less touchy throttle for slow speed maneuvers...
Could have sworn I read this in the MOM, but not finding it now. :think:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts